Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Yup got them, even sent the reciept and sent you a reply via email as well, thanks again

I've got the receipt and reply now. Happy reading;they should keep you going for a while...and of course I've read and memorised all of them!!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
I wasn't aware calling me direct was a compliment

Well of course it was. I would have thought being able to give clear, concise and to the point info are all essential officer skills...I was remarking on you demonstrating that ability!
ally_n_2000
Report 15 years ago
Hi,

Firstly want to say what a great forum, it is the biggest help ever for anyone thinking about joining the Raf.
I'm writing to ask for some help/infomation about becoming a weapon systems operator. Im just at the stage of gathering as much info as possible so any help would be greatful, if any one can be of help i could maybe drop you an email with a few questions?? I'll put my email up just incase, but im willing to get in contact with others.

Many thanks,
Al
[email protected]
peegee
Report 15 years ago
Just for all the sixth-form candidates. I'm definalty going to argue with whoever claimed it was easy. I did ok, and i didnt think it was particularly easy! As for the selection procedure, it is only part 1 the first time (basic medical, aptitude, intervie) but you have to go back and do the whole part 1 and part 2 (additional meds, planning, group discussion, hangar exercises etc + SWIMMING as of 01 Aug 04, which is 3 lengths, treading for 2 mins and unassisted exit, however you dont fail this, they only flag it up for a later date). Im going back up to do pt 1 again and pt 2 for the first time from 18th - 22nd Jan.
soja
Report 15 years ago
Hi all,
I wish to know the difference between commissioned officer and commissioned warrant officer.
Cheers.
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There is no such thing as a commissioned Warrant Officer. An officer receives his/her commission from the Queen, whereas a Warrant Officer is a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer who has received a Warrant from the Queen.

This has been mentioned on this thread before, and to delve deep into differences between the two, other than titular, would take a lot of analysis and comparisons. Suffice to say that an Officer is an implementer of policy and an NCO is an executor of policy. This is a very hazy explanation, but I'm sure there are many out there who could elaborate further. (I would express my opinion more, but I'm now late for work!!)
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by peegee)
Just for all the sixth-form candidates. I'm definalty going to argue with whoever claimed it was easy. I did ok, and i didnt think it was particularly easy! As for the selection procedure, it is only part 1 the first time (basic medical, aptitude, intervie) but you have to go back and do the whole part 1 and part 2 (additional meds, planning, group discussion, hangar exercises etc + SWIMMING as of 01 Aug 04, which is 3 lengths, treading for 2 mins and unassisted exit, however you dont fail this, they only flag it up for a later date). Im going back up to do pt 1 again and pt 2 for the first time from 18th - 22nd Jan.

I don't think the majority of people going for 6FS have said it will be easy; If I recall it was a single comment made by someone very new to the site.

The explanation provided re the selection procedure for 6FS is quite confusing and is not the same for all branches (though it might be the case for pilot scholarships). My understanding (through speaking to AFCO and reading the literature provided) is that 6FS people do not do part 2 of selection, although they are required to attend a 2 week summer camp. However, this does not form part of the selection process as they have already been selected;it is more on the lines of an adventurous training camp. Perhaps the procedure is very different depending what job you are going for. :confused:

Why would you be going back to do part 1 again and then onto part 2 if you've already been awarded a pilot scholarship; or is it just me that doesn't understand?!! :confused:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ally_n_2000)
Hi,

Firstly want to say what a great forum, it is the biggest help ever for anyone thinking about joining the Raf.
I'm writing to ask for some help/infomation about becoming a weapon systems operator. Im just at the stage of gathering as much info as possible so any help would be greatful, if any one can be of help i could maybe drop you an email with a few questions?? I'll put my email up just incase, but im willing to get in contact with others.

Many thanks,
Al
[email protected]

Ask away, there's a lot of people on here who will be able to help you (although I personally have very little knowledge about the branch you're interested in)

The raf careers site is a pretty useful place to start.
Philos
Report 15 years ago
Hey All

dont know if any of you can help but if you have been to say an "unsocialble" location on holiday will it effect you chances of being in the RAF, for example would a communist state such as Cuba effect entrance into RAF. Would a visit to Turkey be a problem as the Greeks and Turks arnt best of friends and if you were to be posted to cyprus and you had a Turkish stamp in your passport would the Greeks allow you to serve??

Sorry if this sounds silly had to ask tho....chears

Phil
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Philos)
Hey All

dont know if any of you can help but if you have been to say an "unsocialble" location on holiday will it effect you chances of being in the RAF, for example would a communist state such as Cuba effect entrance into RAF. Would a visit to Turkey be a problem as the Greeks and Turks arnt best of friends and if you were to be posted to cyprus and you had a Turkish stamp in your passport would the Greeks allow you to serve??

Sorry if this sounds silly had to ask tho....chears

Phil
I'm not too sure about the RAF policy on this, but I'm pretty sure it's OK. If it wasn't, the world would become a very small place.

I know that as serving personnel there are certain countries that you are advised to get up-to-date advice on before visiting due to potential political/social problems, and there are some countries which require clearance before visiting.
I've been on holiday to Turkey, Egypt, Cuba and Ireland... all of which are (theoretically) potential hotspots, and all without repurcussion.

Hope that's of some help.
Philos
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
I'm not too sure about the RAF policy on this, but I'm pretty sure it's OK. If it wasn't, the world would become a very small place.

I know that as serving personnel there are certain countries that you are advised to get up-to-date advice on before visiting due to potential political/social problems, and there are some countries which require clearance before visiting.
I've been on holiday to Turkey, Egypt, Cuba and Ireland... all of which are (theoretically) potential hotspots, and all without repurcussion.

Hope that's of some help.

Chears REME thanks for the info....
soja
Report 15 years ago
There is no such thing as a commissioned Warrant Officer. An officer receives his/her commission from the Queen, whereas a Warrant Officer is a Senior Non-Commissioned Officer who has received a Warrant from the Queen.

This has been mentioned on this thread before, and to delve deep into differences between the two, other than titular, would take a lot of analysis and comparisons. Suffice to say that an Officer is an implementer of policy and an NCO is an executor of policy. This is a very hazy explanation, but I'm sure there are many out there who could elaborate further. (I would express my opinion more, but I'm now late for work!!)
Much appreciated Reme. But I'm about to post my application (afco 103) and Question 2 states "Which type of entry are you applyin for? Commission, Commissioned Warrant Officer, Bursary/Cadetship, DTUS, RAF Pilot...etc. Guess I will jus send it off lik that and clarify it later when I'm invited for interview.
Thanks.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by soja)
Much appreciated Reme. But I'm about to post my application (afco 103) and Question 2 states "Which type of entry are you applyin for? Commission, Commissioned Warrant Officer, Bursary/Cadetship, DTUS, RAF Pilot...etc. Guess I will jus send it off lik that and clarify it later when I'm invited for interview.
Thanks.
Soja, I really think you should go and have a chat with your AFCO before posting your application off. I don't think it'll look too good if you're not sure about the type of entry you're applying for. They're really friendly and helpful, at least that was my experience of them.

Alternatively, I'm sure lots of people on here would be happy to help and could get back to you fairly quickly if you tell them the jobs you're interested in.
ally_n_2000
Report 15 years ago
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions, the firts is related to the OASC as so many questions are. The whole process lasts about 3 days, if you get through the various interviews/test. Are these days back to back, i.e. do you have to go home and come back after each day. Do they provide accomodation?

The next question is about the lifestyle, something that is not talked about to much. I want to be a WSOp (acoustics), the nimrods are based at Kinloss, so i guess after all the training i would be there. firstly is all the training at Cranwell for this branch??
Would it be a 9-5 kinda job (obviously i know it isnt) would you be made to work abroad? or work elsewhere e.t.c.

Thanks guys, Al
Blue_Wolf75
Report 15 years ago
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions, the firts is related to the OASC as so many questions are. The whole process lasts about 3 days, if you get through the various interviews/test. Are these days back to back, i.e. do you have to go home and come back after each day. Do they provide accomodation?

The next question is about the lifestyle, something that is not talked about to much. I want to be a WSOp (acoustics), the nimrods are based at Kinloss, so i guess after all the training i would be there. firstly is all the training at Cranwell for this branch??
Would it be a 9-5 kinda job (obviously i know it isnt) would you be made to work abroad? or work elsewhere e.t.c.

Thanks guys, Al
OASC at Cranwell are 3 days back to back, and your are housed in the OASC Cadidate Accomodation for the duration.

WZZ would probably be your best bet about the training for WSOp.

For the most part the job is of a 9-5 format, but you start earlier and may finish later.

You would be posted to wherever the MoD feel it neccesary for you to be, to be honest you don't have much of a choice.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi guys,

Thanks guys, Al
Have a look on here http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/job_f...or_crewman.cfm
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hi guys,

Thanks guys, Al

.....and this one http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/job_f..._acoustics.cfm
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Nimrod operations are always ongoing around the world, with iraq and afganistan for instance being places with ongoing operations
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There is no such thing as a commissioned Warrant Officer.
Soja, you can't tick the commissioned warrant officer box as you're not a warrant officer. There's a short (a week, I think...!) course for warrant officers with specific experience and qualifications to gain a commission. They pass out as Flight Lieutenants.

If you want to be an officer, you're presumably applying for a commission; if you're filling out the application, you presumably also know what job you'd like?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I don't think the majority of people going for 6FS have said it will be easy; If I recall it was a single comment made by someone very new to the site.
Well

The explanation provided re the selection procedure for 6FS is quite confusing and is not the same for all branches (though it might be the case for pilot scholarships). My understanding (through speaking to AFCO and reading the literature provided) is that 6FS people do not do part 2 of selection, although they are required to attend a 2 week summer camp. However, this does not form part of the selection process as they have already been selected;it is more on the lines of an adventurous training camp. Perhaps the procedure is very different depending what job you are going for. :confused:
No, it's the same for everyone; at least it was when I left. Part 1 of selection, 2 weeks' adventurous training at Grantown on Spey or Fairbourne, then part 2 when you're approaching your IOT date or fancy an upgrade to a bursary.

Why would you be going back to do part 1 again and then onto part 2 if you've already been awarded a pilot scholarship; or is it just me that doesn't understand?!! :confused:
You may notice on another read that our friend Peegee didn't mention whether or not he passed the first time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed