Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyOneCanOweMe)
    hi guys
    i had my interview thing with the carrees office today. I think it went brilliantly.the guy interviewing me wasnt that old so he was more with it than I thought he would be. he said I used a lot of humor in the interview and I said it is because iam a fun guy. He didn't get some of my jokes but most of them were pretty good. at the end of the interview he said i had been an enjoyable experience and he would send my report up to Carnwell.
    There were some bits of the interview i didn't understand, like when he asked about the role of the UN and how the RAF were used. I told him what i thought and made a bit of it up. he seemed impressed and i think he was just putting the pressure on. I remembered to call them aircraft and not planes, and I didnt mention Jedis or the Force cos that would be pretty daft. he said that if i ever got in i would have to remember not to joke too much with officers because they would be my bosses. but I said they are not now so its ok to joke around with them isnt it.
    I told him about this chat room and how some clevr people on here are giving advice and stuff. he said it was good to do some homework.
    he said I would get a letter from Carnwell pretty soon and that would explain everything that happens now.
    If anyone wants advice then pm me and ill let you know all about how I did it.
    Did you wear the biggles outfit and did it create the impression you were hoping for??

What branch are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Did you wear the biggles outfit and did it create the impression you were hoping for??

What branch are you applying for?
    He does 'jokes', Nikki, he doesn't do impressions. Well, only one - of some guy who is wasting his time and the space on this server. I thought it was mildly amusing at first, now the gag's wearing thin(ner).
    Good luck pal, I'm sure there's a job out there for you. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locost Builder)
    He does 'jokes', Nikki, he doesn't do impressions. Well, only one - of some guy who is wasting his time and the space on this server. I thought it was mildly amusing at first, now the gag's wearing thin(ner).

I thought he'd said earlier he was going to wear a biggles outfit, as it was sure to impress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locost Builder)
    posted in page 70

I think that going wearing a leather fling helmet and goggles with a scarf held up with a coathanger in it will impress them. I can't grow a mustache so I might get a big curly one from the costume shop in town.

ReputationRep:
    Had an interesting phone call today. the raf careers office called me up to ask if I had receaved the information pack I had requested (which was back in May). Had to tell them that it was never receaved, but that I decided to go into Dundee afco to get them anyway. Also advised them, as they asked if I was still interested, that ive not put in the application yet but will in the near future.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Thats ok with me because Im not posh enough to be an officer.
    Dunno, I'm from a small working class family, but still manage to cut the mustard and use the right cutlery on a dining-in night......
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    THAT WAS A JOKE I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU HAD A SENCE OF HUMOR.
    Don't worry, those of us already in do.

I met some A Tech Ms or something like that this week. The training at Cosford is first rate, you'll enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    THAT WAS A JOKE I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU HAD A SENCE OF HUMOR.

Well of course I do, which is why I've found your previous postings so amusing

The risk on your part however, of using this kind of approach, is that all your postings will be assumed to be p**s take;Hence my silly reply to your post re the filter interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rab)
    Two Questions:Firstly is the Pilot Scholarship done under the Sixth Form Sponsorship now so that applicants for either will be going at the same time to OASC? And secondly are there IQ tests in the aptitude tests?
    The pilot scholarship is only part of the sixth form scholarship system, its not treated as a different entity. The candidates attend OASC at the same time as any other candidate for one of the branches in the sixth form scholarship scheme (Pilot/FC/ATC/Med/Eng). The aptitude tests do in some part measure clarity of thinking and the ease with which you make decisions, which is what intelligence quotient is about - so in a sense, yes they do, but they also measure spatial awareness, motor ability etc etc etc. And they really arent all aviation based - they don't expect candates to have any experience in the hot seat, so they are explained in detail individually before the tests commence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Had an interesting phone call today. the raf careers office called me up to ask if I had receaved the information pack I had requested (which was back in May). Had to tell them that it was never receaved, but that I decided to go into Dundee afco to get them anyway. Also advised them, as they asked if I was still interested, that ive not put in the application yet but will in the near future.

Scorg, you've probably mentioned it before, but just out of interest what are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I can't see the wood for the trees, but having looked at the RAF and MOD websites, I can't find a comprehensive list of all the OCU/OEU's. Am I as blind as a bat (a blind one, wearing a blindfold, on a blind date even), or are these units just integrated into existing squadrons?

Anyone help?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Use this address and right at the botton are the OCUs:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/strength.html
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by MacLean)
    Like so many of the people on this board, becoming a pilot would be a job I feel i would be able to do well and would also love to do.
    First hard question; why?

I used to have very mild asthma, however i grew out of it around 5 and a half years ago.
    Now, I hate answering medical queries because I'm not a doctor and every case is always treated individually. However, current policy is that any history of asthma completely rules you out of any flying job. If you were just slightly wheezy, if there was some other reason, then fine, try and convince them; but I've seen candidates turned away from OASC constantly because they used to use inhalers, or had mild childhood asthma or whatever. I wouldn't tell you not to bother speaking to your AFCO, but be prepared to be told no.

I also stand here at a height of 189cm. Would these facts automatically mean i am not even considered to do the job?
    It'd mean you were one of these annoying people who motor the seat all the way down and move the rudder pedals about a mile away so that when I jump into the jet after you I can't see out.

Obviously the RAF only want the most capable people, but has anyone got any figures of how many people they have taken on to become pilots in the last few years or so?
    The into-training target (ITT) for pilots is currently 100 per year. I don't see it going up in the future. It's just been cut from (stretching my memory here...) 165 or thereabouts.

Wzz! Hi there.
    Hello.

I haven't read all of this thread, it's huge! But from what I have read, you seem to stand out as having most replies and knowledge of this, are you a pilot? I can't quite tell, if so what aircraft do you fly, do you enjoy it? What routine flying do you do? Have you had opertunities to do some fun adventure activities like absailing, or water skiing, or things like that?
    Yes, I am a pilot. I don't like to leave huge lists of things about my job or myself on sites like this, so I'll keep to myself what I fly, but yes, I love it. Not sure what you mean by routine flying. And yes, there're plenty of opporunities for adventurous training, and I've done tons of it, all over the world. You hillwalk, rockclimb, abseil, ski and canoe yourself to death through training. I've also been sailing, diving, cycling etc in some pretty far-flung places.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    Maybe I can't see the wood for the trees, but having looked at the RAF and MOD websites, I can't find a comprehensive list of all the OCU/OEU's. Am I as blind as a bat (a blind one, wearing a blindfold, on a blind date even), or are these units just integrated into existing squadrons?

Anyone help?

Thanks
    Strike Command have a single OEU now; all the FJ stuff used to be done by the Strike Attack OEU, the F3 OEU, and weaponeering by the Air Ground Weapons OEU. Now they're amalgamated into the FJ and Weapons OEU. Catchy acronyms; SAOEU+AGWOEU=FJWOEU.

OCU wise in the FJ world, you have 20(R) Sqn at Wittering for the Harrier, 56(R) at Leuchars for the F3, XV(R) at Lossie for the GR4 and 16(R) at Colt for the Jag. However, 16's drawing down and will be replaced by a training flight within one of the remaining squadrons.

Multis wise, I'm pretty sure it's all training flights within squadrons apart from the Nimrod, currently trained by 42(R) at Kinloss. Helicopters again I think that's the case; although 203(R) trains Sea King pilots, currently at St Mawgan but about to move to Valley.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    can anyone offer me a little advice? I'll try and keep it brief....

I was waiting to be called up for a spot in training for Avionics earlier in the year. AFCO told me I could be waiting a long time so I asked their advice. 'Go start a university degree and when we want you for training you can continue your degree at another time in the RAF.' So I did. Now Im doing an aerospace engineering degree and I bloody love it. So Im applying to UAS but not heard anything back yet. Problem is uni costs are too much for me and I am fighting a losing battle. But I know that now or in three years I want to be in the RAF. UAS told me that I have the potential to be an officer now and what am I waiting for. If I go avionics I would be interested in becoming an EngO after a degree. But do I chuck my degree (got another 3 years) and go straight in or do I finish my degree and then go straight in as officer?

I understand that you can only give me you opinions. I asked my family and my fiance and even though I only started this degree while waiting for a training spot they weren't very happy at the thought of me leaving my degree. I've given it a lot of thought and I'm still stuck!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm sure you'll remember a few fairly passionate posts I made referring to you when you were originally thinking about whether to apply as an airman or an officer, so I'd advise you reread them

Get your degree, and join as an officer. Your degree is something valuable that once you've got, no-one can take from you. Sure, you can get one through the RAF but it's not the same; you'll be getting a collection of NVQs and HND-style things throughout training, not a masters or batchelors in Aero Eng! As an officer, your pay, conditions and quality of life will be much better. You'll be doing a more enjoyable job than just constantly working on bloody radars every day. If you can be an officer, why start at the bottom?

Stick it out. Uni costs a lot but there're always ways around it. Get another part time job and accept that you're going to have to put up with a year of all work and no play. Get into the UAS and get sponsored; you'll get about £4000 a year as an engineer bursar!

I seriously wrote about three pages urging you to try the officer route before anything else a few months ago; look them up! Don't worry about not being a good leader; you'll get that brought out of you at IOT and on any section you'll have a couple of excellent, excellent senior NCOs who are there to help you bed in and start running things. The job will be more challenging, but more rewarding as well.

The RAF is not designed for you to jump from non commissioned to commissioned. You can do it, yes, but it's not as easy as starting as a commissioned officer. Based on most of the EngOs I know, if you really want to, you can still dissect a TACAN box some day for something to do

GET INTO YOUR UAS, GET SPONSORED, GO TO IOT!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Rab for opening my yes... I got a little carried away with the scroll wheel on my mouse and flew straight past the relevant bits.

(Original post by Wzz)
    Strike Command have a single OEU now; all the FJ stuff used to be done by the Strike Attack OEU, the F3 OEU, and weaponeering by the Air Ground Weapons OEU. Now they're amalgamated into the FJ and Weapons OEU. Catchy acronyms; SAOEU+AGWOEU=FJWOEU.
    That's gotta be worth something with a Triple Word Score in Scrabble

(Original post by Wzz)
    OCU wise in the FJ world, you have 20(R) Sqn at Wittering for the Harrier, 56(R) at Leuchars for the F3, XV(R) at Lossie for the GR4 and 16(R) at Colt for the Jag. However, 16's drawing down and will be replaced by a training flight within one of the remaining squadrons.
    So where is the Typhoon OCU? Coningsby?
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Multis wise, I'm pretty sure it's all training flights within squadrons apart from the Nimrod, currently trained by 42(R) at Kinloss. Helicopters again I think that's the case; although 203(R) trains Sea King pilots, currently at St Mawgan but about to move to Valley.
    Great! That's the kind of info they don't have on the RAF website.

Many thanks.

I also stand here at a height of 189cm. Would these facts automatically mean i am not even considered to do the job?

(Original post by Wzz)
    It'd mean you were one of these annoying people who motor the seat all the way down and move the rudder pedals about a mile away so that when I jump into the jet after you I can't see out.
    I guess it's not very macho to take a cushion to sit on so you can see out

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responce Wzz.
    I will go to the AFCO, at least then i will know. Rather than never being sure if i could have done it or not.

Thanks again!

Bye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Scorg, you've probably mentioned it before, but just out of interest what are you applying for?
    Going for Admin officer as my first choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Going for Admin officer as my first choice

How come you're waiting before starting your application?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.