RAF : Officer / Pilot Entry Watch

Rab
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
What are you doing? [/QUOTE]

Probably Israel, Sudan and Europe but staying away from Iraq is tricky as thats all the politicians seem to like talking about.
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Rab)
Probably Israel, Sudan and Europe but staying away from Iraq is tricky as thats all the politicians seem to like talking about.
If you want something a little less mainstream, how about The Pitcairn Islands, Diego Garcia, or Mark Thatcher's escapades. Plus there's more obvious stuff like Chechnya, Ivory Coast, Iran, Korea etc...
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Time through the ranks is fixed to Flt Lt, with "credit" given for qualifications. Ex-rankers will leave as a Fg Off with seniority relating to their previous seniority; so could be between 1 and 3 years to Flt Lt.

(Original post by Wzz)
With a degree, you're actually commissioned from the date you start IOT, not graduate. You do 6 months as a Plt Off, skipping A/Plt Off. That means you're a Fg Off 4 days or so after ending IOT, with 2 years until Flt Lt.
That sounds more like the info I was given at AFCO/Presentations.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
That sounds more like the info I was given at AFCO/Presentations.
So it should
steve_nels
Report 14 years ago
just thought to myself, if u were someone hoping to be a pilot in the RAF and you think i no ill look on here for sum advice, i think by the time uve gone thru the thread, youve strained ya eyes so much that your eyesight wont b gd enough ! lol sorry mad moment :rolleyes:
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by steve_nels)
just thought to myself, if u were someone hoping to be a pilot in the RAF and you think i no ill look on here for sum advice, i think by the time uve gone thru the thread, youve strained ya eyes so much that your eyesight wont b gd enough ! lol sorry mad moment :rolleyes:
Who said that ??!? :eek: :cool:
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by steve_nels)
Maybe it's just the strain of reading your pre-predictive-text mobile speak that hurts peoples' eyes :rolleyes:
maverick_87
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
.Feel free to email me for further discussion, or add me to MSN as [email protected].
Cheers, will do
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Time through the ranks is fixed to Flt Lt, with "credit" given for qualifications. Ex-rankers will leave as a Fg Off with seniority relating to their previous seniority; so could be between 1 and 3 years to Flt Lt.

With no qualifications, you'll start as an A/Plt Off, with 18 months to Plt Off, and something like 2.5 years to Fg Off then another 2.5 to Flt Lt; or certainly something close.

With a degree, you're actually commissioned from the date you start IOT, not graduate. You do 6 months as a Plt Off, skipping A/Plt Off. That means you're a Fg Off 4 days or so after ending IOT, with 2 years until Flt Lt.

With a 4 year degree (a Masters, not from a Scottish uni anymore) you're looking at 1 year to Flt Lt.
Well explained as always Wzz - I kind of said this, just in a very roundabout fashion! (Besides, it was all from memory...)
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's a complicated thing, made worse by the fact that graduates are commissioned from day one. As they have to serve six months as a Plt Off, it means they're paid as one through IOT. IOT being about 5 months and 26 days long, they're all listed as Plt Offs on graduation, but will all be wearing Fg Off rank on their uniforms; as they're due to be promoted in 3-6 days time or something...!

The genuine Fg Offs on graduation are either ex-rankers, or graduates who have been recoursed and therefore spent more than 6 months at Cranwell. Alternatively, they could be old University Cadets; they were promoted from their university rank of A/Plt Off to Plt Off on the 15th of July on the year they graduated university, regardless of the time they were due to start IOT. Therefore, even if they got onto the earliest August IOT, they'd become Fg Offs about a month before graduating.

I know one guy who, through injury, wound up waiting nearly a year to start IOT, and as he had a Masters degree, started IOT under Fg Off pay and graduated as a Flt Lt. He was very glad he'd had a cadetship, I'm sure.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
It's a complicated thing, made worse by the fact that graduates are commissioned from day one. As they have to serve six months as a Plt Off, it means they're paid as one through IOT. IOT being about 5 months and 26 days long, they're all listed as Plt Offs on graduation, but will all be wearing Fg Off rank on their uniforms; as they're due to be promoted in 3-6 days time or something...!

The genuine Fg Offs on graduation are either ex-rankers, or graduates who have been recoursed and therefore spent more than 6 months at Cranwell.
So ex-rankers are what during IOT? Plt Off, Fg Off, or Off Cdt?
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So ex-rankers are what during IOT? Plt Off, Fg Off, or Off Cdt?
Off Cdt if you have no degree, Student Officer if you do - but how it works for us ex-rankers I have no idea! (I assume the same, however...)
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
Off Cdt if you have no degree, Student Officer if you do - but how it works for us ex-rankers I have no idea! (I assume the same, however...)
Spot on; only graduates are Student Officers, everyone else, whether ex-ranker, other service, or straight from school, are Officer Cadets.

Officer Cadets who are ex-service are paid at their previous/current rate, and when they graduate join the officer pay scheme at the nearest point to their previous pay rate plus 4% if I remember right. So if you were an experienced sergeant, you'd find they took you old pay rate, added 4%, and if that put you between Flt Lt levels 3 and 4 you'd get paid as a Flt Lt level 4. However, you'd have graduated as a Fg Off, and would therefore remain being paid as a level 4 Flt Lt until eventually your rank caught up.

Officer Cadets straight from school are paid the Officer Cadet rate; which is about £35 a day or something.

Student Officers are referred to as Student Officers, but are paid as either Plt Offs or Fg Offs or whatever as per my previous post.

Engineering SOs get some credit toward early promotion to Flt Lt from experience in industry if I remember right too, just to add to what I was saying.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer...!
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Spot on; only graduates are Student Officers, everyone else, whether ex-ranker, other service, or straight from school, are Officer Cadets.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer...!
A lot clearer... but to muddy the waters even more...what if an ex-ranker who is also a graduate...?
JMC
Report 14 years ago
Wzz, do navigators fly in helicopters or is it 2 pilots? I know the Sea King has 2 pilots but do the others? Thanks.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A lot clearer... but to muddy the waters even more...what if an ex-ranker who is also a graduate...?
Now you're testing me. Want a guess?

If I were in charge, you'd be a student officer, you'd graduate as a Fg Off, and you'd follow the +4% rules for pay and the "half-your-previous-seniority" rules for promotion.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JMC)
Wzz, do navigators fly in helicopters or is it 2 pilots? I know the Sea King has 2 pilots but do the others? Thanks.
I don't know what the current split is, but I know over the last couple of years we've stopped training RW navs and moved towards two pilot ops. However, there must still be a fair few navs out there who are still flying. So the answer's yes, and no.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As a pilot, FJ, multi, or otherwise, at what rank do you find yourself effectively grounded and stuck behind a desk?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As a pilot, FJ, multi, or otherwise, at what rank do you find yourself effectively grounded and stuck behind a desk?
Group Captain, ground tours notwithstanding.

Obviously as a Flt Lt or Sqn Ldr I could find myself wearing blues for a couple of years working at Innsworth, but it's only when you get to Gp Cpt that there aren't really any pure flying jobs left. You'll be in a station commander's job at best.

Wing Commanders can still be squadron bosses, and all of mine have always flown a lot. I'd be quite happy peaking there really
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why isn't there a chat facility on this site? It'd be a lot more sociable than wandering away from the bike in pieces on my floor to the computer to refresh every 15 mins
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise