Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by REME-Bod)
If you're that concerned about anonymity, then why not simply create a new Hotmail account with your nickname just for this purpose?
Hey presto!
Oh im fine with it, its only a hotmail account after all
But I make the suggestion of irc mainly as its better for group chats
Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
Oh altough this is pretty much off this topic, does anyone know WTF a vocational A level is??? All the courses im interested in require one of them, and if im to go uni im gonna have to start looking around where i could do one....

Jamie, found this for you:

Vocational A levels or Vocational Certificates of Education (VCEs)

Vocational A levels have replaced Advanced GNVQ courses. They allow students to develop skills, up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the underpinning principles and processes in the vocational area they are studying and prepare them for both the world of work and progression to Higher Education. Learning should be active and student-led, although directed by teachers and supported by professional and employer input. Assessment is done both internally and externally. Vocational A-levels can be taken by themselves or in combination with traditional A levels. Students choose between:

Vocational Certificate of Education (VCE) Advanced Subsidiary (3 units) - equivalent to an AS level

Vocational Certificate of Education (VCE) Advanced Level (6 units) - equivalent to an A level

Vocational Certificate of Education (VCE) Double Award (12 units) - equivalent to 2 A levels

Hope this helps
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you're that concerned about anonymity, then why not simply create a new Hotmail account with your nickname just for this purpose?
Hey presto!

Good idea
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just out of interest, do RAF personnel get some kind of travel warrant during training, as I expect they have to do a fair bit of travelling? If they use their own vehicles do they get some kind of petrol allowance?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Just out of interest, do RAF personnel get some kind of travel warrant during training, as I expect they have to do a fair bit of travelling? If they use their own vehicles do they get some kind of petrol allowance?
I dont know about the raf but i'll use the army as an example with my friend who's in the Signals trade.
When they need to go off site basicly they have been given a pool car for the time they are away
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There's a scheme called Get You Home (Early Years) which entitles you to 3 or 4 trips a year for the first 2 or 3 years of your commission. Sorry to be so vague! It refunds petrol costs or provides travel warrants so you can get home a couple of times.

In general though, the attitude is that the base you now live on is your home; there's no *need* to leave, just as a bank in London is unlikely to offer you free trips home to see mum and dad. GYH(EY)'s pretty generous in general.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
Oh im fine with it, its only a hotmail account after all
But I make the suggestion of irc mainly as its better for group chats
MSN's not too bad for group chats, but I'm happy with either. I've got a couple of people on my contact list now, so if anyone else fancies emailing or PMing me their addresses, please do. Then someone just needs to arrange a time and I'll start the first chat, then you can all pilfer each others' addresses too.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
MSN's not too bad for group chats, but I'm happy with either. I've got a couple of people on my contact list now, so if anyone else fancies emailing or PMing me their addresses, please do. Then someone just needs to arrange a time and I'll start the first chat, then you can all pilfer each others' addresses too.
well anytime during the weeks fine for me except for tuesdays (off training then). Weekends are a no go as im working 5pm - 1am sat and sunday.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well I went into the AFCO today to finaly get the situation over qualifications resolved.
Only stumbling block is basicly standard grade maths and if my NC module that I done afterwards is enough. Otherwise my degree more then covers for highers.
Details being faxed down to cranwell tomorrow and I should hear back within two weeks, if not she'll contact me and tell me she is chasing it up.
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can claim an allowance for travelling from home to work each day. Lots of restrictions though...it may even have an age restriciton on it (i.e. have to hve served over 3 yrs). You also get paid a travelling allowance for each posting - this does include getting to IOT (however, many people will no doubt just catch the train which the RAF will pay for - as an aside, I don't know what the restrictions are (if any) on taking your own car to IOT..)
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Arch-Angel)
as an aside, I don't know what the restrictions are (if any) on taking your own car to IOT..)
That has been one question ive had on my mind. As personaly it would be easier for me to drive down then it would to catch a collection of different trains
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
There's a scheme called Get You Home (Early Years) which entitles you to 3 or 4 trips a year for the first 2 or 3 years of your commission. Sorry to be so vague! It refunds petrol costs or provides travel warrants so you can get home a couple of times.

In general though, the attitude is that the base you now live on is your home; there's no *need* to leave, just as a bank in London is unlikely to offer you free trips home to see mum and dad. GYH(EY)'s pretty generous in general.

Thanks for that. How come it only covers the first few years?
REME-Bod
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)

If I'm not mistaken GYH(EY) has some age limitations too. I think (but I'm not sure) that it's applicable if your 24 or under, as being away from home is too unbearable for mummy's little soldier.

There is also Get You Home (Duty) which applies if you live a commutable distance away from your duty station, but I wouldn't think this applies during training.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks for that. How come it only covers the first few years?
The first few years allow the young serviceman/woman to maintain regular links with home. After a few years you kind of get used to the idea of being away a lot, and to be honest you'd rather go on a booze-cruise to Tenerife than to the working man's club in Barnsley to share half a pint of mild with your old dad and his domino pals .

It also saves the MoD a heap load of cash by making you pay your own way.

This rule doesn't apply if you're based in Germany though, as there they allow you four trips back to Blighty at the taxpayers expense.
REME-Bod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
#the one problem with travel claims is that they are wide open to abuse. It's amazing how many Londoners need to go and see their Great Gran who lives in Inverness!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So it won't cover me visiting my uncle in New Zealand then?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So it won't cover me visiting my uncle in New Zealand then?
I think that will be a flight too far
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
to be honest you'd rather go on a booze-cruise to Tenerife .

Sounds good to me
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Scorg)
I think that will be a flight too far

Is there a limit on distance/mileage (obviously I was only joking about NZ) ?

What if people have parents who live abroad?
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is there a limit on distance/mileage (obviously I was only joking about NZ) ?

What if people have parents who live abroad?
Know you where joking about the NZ thing, but it does bring up the thought about if you where stationed at Goose Bay, would there be a travel warrent to visit home then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads