Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hayelz, check your e-mails
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Arch-Angel)
    You can claim an allowance for travelling from home to work each day.
    According to PSF here, there's no longer any such thing as "home to duty." Again the concept being that if you want, you could have bought closer/lived in FQs or whatever, so by choosing to live further away it's your problem.

You also get paid a travelling allowance for each posting
    As an officer they'll either R&D your kit for you up to a space limit or pay for you to rent a van up to £113.

I don't know what the restrictions are (if any) on taking your own car to IOT..)
    None whatsoever, as long as it's insured etc etc.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Thanks for that. How come it only covers the first few years?
    Because by the time you've been in 3 years you're meant to have got over living more than 10 mins away from mum and dad
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    If I'm not mistaken GYH(EY) has some age limitations too. I think (but I'm not sure) that it's applicable if your 24 or under, as being away from home is too unbearable for mummy's little soldier.

There is also Get You Home (Duty) which applies if you live a commutable distance away from your duty station, but I wouldn't think this applies during training.
    Still applies for a 25 year old on my last course. I think GYH(D) is meant for things like going to a home you owned prior to your current posting at a weekend to sort things out with tenants etc, or going home to family a few times a year if they still live there.

I.E. If you cross over to become a pilot, say, and get posted to Valley when you used to be a nav at Marham, they'll cover however many journies home per year so your kids can see you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Because by the time you've been in 3 years you're meant to have got over living more than 10 mins away from mum and dad

Would that include newly qualified gaduates who'd lived away from home at uni for five years?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Is there a limit on distance/mileage (obviously I was only joking about NZ) ?

What if people have parents who live abroad?
    It's possible with an awful lot of faffing and proving. Hacks off PSF though. It's annoying serving with commonwealth guys who claim they have to go off and see mummy at the taxpayer's expense... if you're so upset leaving home, join your own bloody air force! :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Would that include newly qualified gaduates who'd lived away from home at uni for five years?
    No, it's a blanket first 3 years (I think) of your commission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    It's possible with an awful lot of faffing and proving. Hacks off PSF though. It's annoying serving with commonwealth guys who claim they have to go off and see mummy at the taxpayer's expense... if you're so upset leaving home, join your own bloody air force! :rolleyes:

Might not be mummy and daddy you're wanting to visit
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Might not be mummy and daddy you're wanting to visit
    True, but I think if that's the case it's definitely not your employer who should be paying :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    We have a lot of commonwealth guys at my current unit, mainly Fijiians (You should see our rugby team! ). These guys get different quotas because of who they are and where they live, but they get screwed on pensions and stuff.

A friend of mine who's family live in USA gets MMA (Motor Mileage Allowance)to the airport or 'a recognised port of exit', but it's not worth much at all.

And Wzz... I thought a lot of the commonwealth guys 'own bloody airforce' was the RAF :confused:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    And Wzz... I thought a lot of the commonwealth guys 'own bloody airforce' was the RAF :confused:
    There's a perfectly serviceable RNZAF and RAAF for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    There's a perfectly serviceable RNZAF and RAAF for them
    ..or Fiji-Air, or Fly-Ascension, or Air Tobago... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    According to PSF here, there's no longer any such thing as "home to duty." Again the concept being that if you want, you could have bought closer/lived in FQs or whatever, so by choosing to live further away it's your problem.
    You might be right - I used to claim it when I lived in off-base FQ's a few years ago. The impression I was under was that, if you wanted to commute to from your own home, you had to have moved in within the first 6 months of postings. Once posted to a new unit, you can claim so many journies a year to your home for "family stability reasons"

(Original post by Wzz)
    As an officer they'll either R&D your kit for you up to a space limit or pay for you to rent a van up to £113.
    Same as for us "rankers" - mind you have never had to trust my belongings to R&D. For the record, before anyone asks, first family move into quarters is not free (you have to pay for it yourself). From then on the service will pay for the removal company (again, lots of restrictions, but nothing that makes life difficult). This might be different for the commissioned side of the house, and agian, this might have changed since my first move (been married 9 years now)

ReputationRep:

Same as for us "rankers" - mind you have never had to trust my belongings to R&D.
    R&D? I'm assuming that's what we squaddies call MFO (Military Freight Org).

Maybe a thread labelled "Glossary of Terms" would be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    Wzz, read your pm's.

ReputationRep:
    REME_Bod @ hotmail.com

ReputationRep:
    [email protected]
    not be safer to PM that to wzz? could be an open invite to a spam trawler on the net

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    not be safer to PM that to wzz? could be an open invite to a spam trawler on the net
    maybe so, but I've just created the account and I can delete it just as quick.

ReputationRep:
    It'd be a nuisance to keep having to do that though.

ReputationRep:
    Thats fair enough, wasnt sure if you setup a new one or used your normal one there. At least the junk mail filter will be working hard

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.