Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    In the Candidate's mess or OASC, it's always suits. I would bring something to lounge around in if you're going to do any studying or read a book in the evenings or whatever, but that's it.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    In the Candidate's mess or OASC, it's always suits. I would bring something to lounge around in if you're going to do any studying or read a book in the evenings or whatever, but that's it.
    thanks Wzz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    Quick question about Cranwell tomorrow. I know we wear suits on the way there but is it worth bringing casual clothes or at least a top to go with black trousers? Im bringing two suits at the minute Im just not sure how to pack the rest of it. :confused:

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    It’s doubtful Steve, because I’m sure the doc would have recorded it as Croup in your medical records. Croup has fairly distinctive symptoms that would have easily been picked up i.e stridor (which is a harsh, vibrating, shrill sound made when breathing in, often described as a barking or seal like sound). Children with croup are treated either by steam inhalation, or glucocorticoids to reduce inflammation of the airways
    I think i did have that tried on me if i remember rightly but will look into it.

You need to find out exactly the type of medication you were given and look up what it’s commonly used to treat. That may give you a better indication of what the doctor thought the specific illness/condition was at the time.
    Yeh will definately. Im just trying to open things up at the moment, give me some options or some hope at least thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Quick question about Cranwell tomorrow. I know we wear suits on the way there but is it worth bringing casual clothes or at least a top to go with black trousers? Im bringing two suits at the minute Im just not sure how to pack the rest of it. :confused:
    Yeh good luck, enjoy it. it is a good opportunity to see cranwell and where you might be staying in a few years time
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Good luck
    thanks! all packed now! As long as I don't forget my train ticket I will be fine!

(Original post by steve_nels)
    Yeh good luck, enjoy it. it is a good opportunity to see cranwell and where you might be staying in a few years time
    yes, it will be! The nerves haven't started yet so I'm not too sure if thats a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    thanks! all packed now! As long as I don't forget my train ticket I will be fine!

yes, it will be! The nerves haven't started yet so I'm not too sure if thats a good thing!

Can't remember what you said you were going for now. Weren't you undecided as to whether to apply for officer or not? Did you make a decision, or did I miss it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve_nels)
    I think i did have that tried on me if i remember rightly but will look into it.

Yeh will definately. Im just trying to open things up at the moment, give me some options or some hope at least thanks again

Have you looked into any options for ground branches if your appeal isn't successful?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Can't remember what you said you were going for now. Weren't you undecided as to whether to apply for officer or not? Did you make a decision, or did I miss it?
    It was originally ground trade (Avionics) but Im going for a sponsership through uni so I can be an officer when I finish with an Aerospace Enigineering degree

ReputationRep:
    It was originally ground trade (Avionics) but Im going for a sponsership through uni so I can be an officer when I finish with an Aerospace Enigineering degree
    well if you get a chance to sit maths intermediate 2 at uni, take the opportunity, myself missing out (with it not being offered) has hindered me in the end
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    doing advanced calculus at the moment, got my maths checked out and Im fine (just) good luck getting your marks though!

ReputationRep:
    doing advanced calculus at the moment, got my maths checked out and Im fine (just) good luck getting your marks though!
    Good to hear
    Im going to be getting in contact with my local college on monday about this

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into any options for ground branches if your appeal isn't successful?

Not particulary, been looking at my case more than anything, but i will. Still got another three years yet until graduation :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    And background was mentioned in this thread too.

I was talking to a JEngo toaday at RAF Odiham and this very subject cropped up. He'd successfully completed RCB and was offered a position at Sandhurst, but declined it in favour of the RAF.

The two jobs are similar, yet very different. I cannot authoritively pass judgement because to do so I would have to have been in both situations in order to make a comparison, however I still have my opinions for what they're worth.

Physically the Army is more demanding as one would expect. This in itself also depends on the chosen field within the Army, i.e. an infantry platoon commander would have to be a damn sight fitter than an admin officer or catering officer, and this is reflected in the training.

As far as leadership goes, I'm sure that the RAF pilots who frequent this site would argue very strongly that their leadership qualities are second to none. Where do you think RAF officers go after their flying careers? Also, command and leadership are two distinctly different things. I see leadership as a quality either inherent or developed, whereas command is an appointment given to an individual. Not all commanders are good leaders .

Toughness is a difficult one, cos there's mental and physical strength. Tabbing across the Boonies with a bergen on your back in the middle of a cold wet windy night may be pretty lousy, but commanding a Flight, ensuring that the aircraft are up to speed and ready to fly, when you have the whole world putting pressure on you to have it ready by yesterday can't be all that much fun either.
    Either way, you're an officer in charge of men and a responsibility to suit.

And as for background... NO IT DOESN'T MATTER where you are from. If you were dragged up from the gutter in the inner cities, or if daddy's estate was measured in acres, as long as you have a (relatively) clean sheet with the law, it doesn't matter a jot. To discriminate is illegal/prohibited/forbidden/against the law/ and not allowed either!

That's my view on the whole kaboodle. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who would add to it.
    Speaking form my own experience, REME is spot on. If you speak to enough officers (from any of the services) you will meet some from the posh public school with the accent to match. You will also meet some officers who went to "ordinary" comprehensives, with broad regional accents (In fact I used to know a Group Captain with a strong accent, who was quite categoric that his accent hadn't held him back - obviously the case!!)

Historically the Army "might" have looked at social background and upbringing - there is the sterotypical image of a Calvery officer: daddy is one of the gentry, posh accent, etc. But none of the services will turn you down because of your background.

Don't forget, however, that all the services are now expeditionary in nature. The RAF don't sit back in the rear anymore - Iraq has taught us this. There's no front-line, no rear echelon. With the range of Air Power, the RAF's operating bases don't need to be next door to the intended targets. However, that doesn't mean they can be located several hundred of miles away either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    It'll be a sliding scale just like the AFT is normally; I assume the "excellent" level will drop with age too. No idea how much though!
    Cheers chap - I'm running on the assumption that "excellent" is broadly equivalent to running two levels over the "standard" for your age group. This makes my target to still be running at level 10 (Anything above 10.6 won't be far wrong in my opinion).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arch-Angel)
    Historically the Army "might" have looked at social background and upbringing - there is the sterotypical image of a Calvery officer: daddy is one of the gentry, posh accent, etc. But none of the services will turn you down because of your background.

T'was probably true in the days of the British Empire, when we all kept a stiff upper lip at Rourkes Drift etc.

Gone are the days of buying one's Captaincy and Majority, or leading the 'Forlorn Hope' to get promoted if cash was a little scarce....

I've been reading too much Sharpe!

ReputationRep:
    Got my dates for OASC - 8th Feb. Anyone else there at that time?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    passed everything!! Thought I would fail my eye sight exam but apparently Im ok for Pilot and UAS

ReputationRep:
    passed everything!! Thought I would fail my eye sight exam but apparently Im ok for Pilot and UAS
    nicely done

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm applying for a medical cadetship and taking my papers in tomorrow (quite short notice as the closing date is tuesday...)- I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions...

-does anyone know what the level of competition is like for medical cadetships? I phoned the medical and dental liason service and they said 20 applicants per place is average- then I went to a careers fayre where someone from that office was there and he said 50 people applied per place- which would be very scary!! Although he did say that a lot of them had clearly just seen the figures involved and hadn't really considered it at all.
    -does anyone know what the wait period for OASC is like and when I would be likely to be interviewed? The first interview session is on 12 Dec and every 5 weeks after that...
    -are places awarded continuously as interviews are given or at the end of all the interviews- ie as someone who submitted a form late and hence would probably be interviewed last would I find that most places were already awarded before I even got to OASC?!
    -is it true there is a swimming test now? (one more thing to 'brush up on'!)

Thanks to anyone who can help me!!

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.