Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    passed everything!! Thought I would fail my eye sight exam but apparently Im ok for Pilot and UAS
    Congrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clairelouise)
    Hi everyone,

I'm applying for a medical cadetship and taking my papers in tomorrow (quite short notice as the closing date is tuesday...)- I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions...

-does anyone know what the level of competition is like for medical cadetships? I phoned the medical and dental liason service and they said 20 applicants per place is average- then I went to a careers fayre where someone from that office was there and he said 50 people applied per place- which would be very scary!! Although he did say that a lot of them had clearly just seen the figures involved and hadn't really considered it at all.
    -does anyone know what the wait period for OASC is like and when I would be likely to be interviewed? The first interview session is on 12 Dec and every 5 weeks after that...
    -are places awarded continuously as interviews are given or at the end of all the interviews- ie as someone who submitted a form late and hence would probably be interviewed last would I find that most places were already awarded before I even got to OASC?!
    -is it true there is a swimming test now? (one more thing to 'brush up on'!)

Thanks to anyone who can help me!!

Claire I've sent you a pm with all the info I know about the process.

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking the other day, does anyone remember that series on ITV must of been about 10 years ago? and it was like a casualty type drama but based on the RAF and pilots on the Tornado, i think at RAF Lossiemouth or somewhere in Scotland? Because i remember only seeing one episode of it, but what i remember it was quite good for the flying scenes? Does anyone else remember this? Or did i imagine it ? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    passed everything!! Thought I would fail my eye sight exam but apparently Im ok for Pilot and UAS
    well done mate

ReputationRep:
    I've had a fair number of pm's recently from people requesting advice/information on specific medical issues relating to the RAF process/selection. I just want to say that the info i've given on this thread is NOT medical facts, but based on my personal opinion, which may not be right. If you need medical advice, please ask the experts who are qualified to give it;I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I've had a fair number of pm's recently from people requesting advice/information on specific medical issues relating to the RAF process/selection. I just want to say that the info i've given on this thread is NOT medical facts, but based on my personal opinion, which may not be right. If you need medical advice, please ask the experts who are qualified to give it;I'm not.
    Dear Dierdre...

My 'friend' has a problem with his waterworks and other such unmentionables.... what advice can you give for....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve_nels)
    i was thinking the other day, does anyone remember that series on ITV must of been about 10 years ago? and it was like a casualty type drama but based on the RAF and pilots on the Tornado, i think at RAF Lossiemouth or somewhere in Scotland? Because i remember only seeing one episode of it, but what i remember it was quite good for the flying scenes? Does anyone else remember this? Or did i imagine it ? :rolleyes:
    I recall it as well. I think it was just a pilot episode...in fact the only thing that really stands out now was the Flight Sergeant character who seems to be everywhere doing everything (repairing Tornados, running the Officers Mess etc.). The whole episode had that feel - only a few characters (i.e. fast jet pilots) did anything of interest, with everyone else (Int, Police, Regt etc.) existing as bit players only. Nothing like Solider Solider, where the main characters covered all ranks.

Whilst (in real life) utimately what we do is to deliver Air Power (and thus, the aircrew is the "star"), however, without everyone doing their part the system soon fails.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    there are some right weirdos at OASC! Didn't really expect it. Thought those 'I know everything' guys would have been filtered out at ints. Had one 'know it all' telling me that he wants to join the Scottish UAS as leuchars is in aberdeen!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    Dear Dierdre...

My 'friend' has a problem with his waterworks and other such unmentionables.... what advice can you give for....

REME, you should have told me one of them was you! There's no need to be shy about your little problems, is there? Besides, you can trust me.... I'm a doctor (or will be in six or seven years time!!)

ReputationRep:
    there are some right weirdos at OASC! Didn't really expect it. Thought those 'I know everything' guys would have been filtered out at ints. Had one 'know it all' telling me that he wants to join the Scottish UAS as leuchars is in aberdeen!!

I have a two week work exp placement at Leuchars medical centre next summer, but I don't think it's Aberdeen I'm going to
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I have a two week work exp placement at Leuchars medical centre next summer, but I don't think it's Aberdeen I'm going to
    wonder why? lol

ReputationRep:
    wonder why? lol
    Did he get through everything?

ReputationRep:

Well done! What kinda of weirdo's?

Where there any Engineers there, what were they like?

ReputationRep:
    If Leuchars is in Aberdeen, then whats that station thats 15 miles north of me then :eek:

ReputationRep:
    You have work ex going on at Lauchers, nice one
    Since Lauchers is in aberdeen, you can go to the secret base in fife though
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Vladek)

everybody is an engineer! I'm doing engineering. Well at least 90% of people there were doing an engineering degree, though they were all going for pilot. Really nice people! Everyone usually supports each other which is nice. You feel bad when someone doesn't get in, even though it helps your chances.

Did he get through everything?
    unfortunatly yes!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Scorg)
    If Leuchars is in Aberdeen, then whats that station thats 15 miles north of me then :eek:
    ummmm Brize!!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Vladek)

well one guy got really really drunk at the officers mess (idiot) at Colerne and then proceeded to wander about the base. next thing he knows he's got the MPs locking him up for the night. You would think that was bad but the next day he goes round telling all the officers who are assessing him!

He also went up for a test flight with a WgCom. He has his PPL and thinks he is god because of that. There were heavy cross winds coming when they were coming back in so the officer took over. Back at mess the guy started bragging saying he took the plane back in as the officer balled it!

On the day on Cranwell 6 of us were on the wrong platform for the train at home. (we don't know the station at all) he knew this and walked off and left us, and jumped on the right train. He told everyone he was getting rid of the competition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    You have work ex going on at Lauchers, nice one
    Since Lauchers is in aberdeen, you can go to the secret base in fife though

Yeah, I just might try that. I might even take a trek out to St Andrew's while I'm there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arch-Angel)
    I recall it as well. I think it was just a pilot episode...

Was that pun intended?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.