Nikki J S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
well one guy got really really drunk at the officers mess (idiot) at Colerne and then proceeded to wander about the base. next thing he knows he's got the MPs locking him up for the night. You would think that was bad but the next day he goes round telling all the officers who are assessing him!

He also went up for a test flight with a WgCom. He has his PPL and thinks he is god because of that. There were heavy cross winds coming when they were coming back in so the officer took over. Back at mess the guy started bragging saying he took the plane back in as the officer balled it!

On the day on Cranwell 6 of us were on the wrong platform for the train at home. (we don't know the station at all) he knew this and walked off and left us, and jumped on the right train. He told everyone he was getting rid of the competition!
He didn't get in did he? :eek:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
he passed everything, don't know if he got in! If he does it won't be much fun for him, he has already been excluded by cadets!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
he passed everything, don't know if he got in! If he does it won't be much fun for him, he has already been excluded by cadets!

Doesn't sound like much of a team player does he? I wouldn't like to think I had to rely on him for anything

What do you mean by he was excluded by cadets?
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How do you get excluded from cadets and still think you'll make it in the RAF?

hey they could all be engineers as long as they're all going for pilot i'm happy
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
no, he likes to think he is above everyone already. very patronising. No one at OASC would talk to him, sit with him, etc. He has a reputation already.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
How do you get excluded from cadets and still think you'll make it in the RAF?

hey they could all be engineers as long as they're all going for pilot i'm happy
can you imagine someone like that as an officer?! :eek:
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
no, he likes to think he is above everyone already. very patronising. No one at OASC would talk to him, sit with him, etc. He has a reputation already.

I'm sure the RAF will bring him back down to earth with a bump. Either that or he'll end up leaving cos he's no friends.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
I'm sure the RAF will bring him back down to earth with a bump. Either that or he'll end up leaving cos he's no friends.
well in the three weeks I spent with him on the squadron, it doesn't seem to bother him that he is a loner. He just tries to tell everyone what to do. Even tried it with the holding officer.
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well in the three weeks I spent with him on the squadron, it doesn't seem to bother him that he is a loner. He just tries to tell everyone what to do. Even tried it with the holding officer.

How'd he get through then. Surely part of what they're looking for is team skills and how well you interact with others? :confused:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well we don't know if he has been selected, only that he passed his medical and aptitude. It sounds horrible but I would rather have people that I get along with on the squadron!
Nikki J S
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well we don't know if he has been selected, only that he passed his medical and aptitude. It sounds horrible but I would rather have people that I get along with on the squadron!

I think anyone would.

He'll have a very lonely and miserable existence if he doesn't make an effort to get on with people.
Scorg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Everything he will have done will have bound to have been noticed, him being by himself, not getting along with people and what could be seen as insubordination to a future superior officer if he was selected.
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ummmm Brize!!
Wonder where they keep the C17's
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
underground of course!
Scorg
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
underground of course!
right, im off out with my digging gear, got me a C17 to find!
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nikki J S)
Was that pun intended?
Darn! I thought nobody would notice it!
Arch-Angel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There was a fellow like that - the drunken ex-cadet who knows everything - on my Basic Recruit course when I joined up (many years ago!). He was a Royal Marine Reserve, he was this, he was that...he knew it all. Totally disruptive influence on the training flight (and particularly in his room - the male element of the flight back then was divided into two 16-man rooms). Of course the instructors made his life hell, just to break it out of him - not bullying him; I think everyone on the Flight could see that if he backed off and stopped arguing the odds, the instructors would back off. But, of course he didn't...he was dismissive of everyone. He got back-flighted in the end...refused to complete one of the training exercises (he quite literally lost it). As my course was passing-out, he was leaving Swinderby having quit.

The moral of the story? There will always be some "idiots" who get to go on the course...but the instructors wil always find them out!!!
Daveo123
Report 15 years ago
Hi all,

As I progress into the application progress as an RAF Pilot Officer, would some of you care to share how you are preparing for: Your first brief interview or OASC? Maybe the kind of training exercises you are doing and how regularly or what books/material you are reading and researching.

I go to the gym (try and go every day) and do 2.5km (1.5m) running, 10km cycling and then either 4km rowing or do weights. So far I have dropped from 18st 3Ibs to 15st 12Ibs. I am also cutting out a lot of bad food and trying to stick to salads. As far as research goes, I am looking at the RAF website, watching the world news on ITV at 10:30pm and reading through the various aircraft/weapons equipment brochures.

If anyone can recommend anything that would help then please do!

Thanks,

David
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
right got a call from the squadron, they want me on board but can take me as with the course I'm doing I will be too old by a month when I finish. :eek: So I talked to the dean and he won't let me skip a year. (Im on a foundation year) So the squadron is asking me to change my degree so I can be let in. Problem is I love it! Engineering is fantastic and I really enjoy it. So do I change my course and do engineering at the OU, thus meaning I have a place on the squadron....OR keep my degree, meaning I can't get on the squadron, never achieve my first ambition of becoming a pilot, but I will still have a degree I enjoy and a career I enjoy being an Engineer in the RAF.
semisonic
Report 15 years ago
Hey guys.

I went to OASC last week, and this forum was a real chest of knowledge and support..so thanks all!!

My question is...i realise my best hopes for pilot are the next review board. How often are these and when could i hope to be reviewed??

Then again its early days yet and not too late for a rejection letter....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.32%
No (597)
65.68%

Watched Threads