Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    that would work if I could cut the time down and I suggected in to UAS but due to admin I can't. have to have on paper the day I graduate.
    Crap crap crap! You have to be under 23.5 on the day you start IOT technically, but I've met plenty of people who aren't! I'll try and look up the number of someone at OASC who can tell you the facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    PM me his name and I'll keep my eyes peeled :P
    Why PM it? You could always stick on here so he gets his name in lights!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo123)
    I am 6ft 3" tall but yes, I am trying to get the weight down to 14.5/15st. It is something that has plagued me my whole life but now is the time to get rid of it as this is what I NEED to do.
    Know where you're coming from chap - I've struggled with my weight since completing trade training (12 years ago now - crumbs!). Down to 14.10 now (lost almost 4 stone); another stone and i'll be virtually at my ideal weight. Try increading the frequency of your exercise - it might help to reduce the distance you run/cycle etc. before adding the distance again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Woohoo
    Don't get excited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Perhaps he meant he was going to Aberdeen uni, and was therefore joining East Scotland UAS, based at Leuchars...?

Actually, I've had a quick look at the UAS brochure, and Leuchars would cover: Aberdeen, Abertay, Dundee, Robert Gordon, and St Andrew's uni's.

Perhaps we were prematurely mean to the guy
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Actually, I've had a quick look at the UAS brochure, and Leuchars would cover: Aberdeen, Abertay, Dundee, Robert Gordon, and St Andrew's uni's.

Perhaps we were prematurely mean to the guy
    ........ and that's out of date. That was ADStAUAS; they used to share Leuchars with ELUAS, East Lowlands UAS, who handled Edinburgh, Queen Margaret's, Napier, Heriot-Watt and Stirling.

They've been amalgamated, which is a shame
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Arch-Angel)
    Don't get excited
    Try and stop me

Gosh, it's nice to be important :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    High blood pressure increases G tolerance.
    Isnt that the same with being unfit (as in the long distance running ) as it makes the veins and arterys less wide, thus allowing less blood to flow away from the head?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)
    Isnt that the same with being unfit (as in the long distance running ) as it makes the veins and arterys less wide, thus allowing less blood to flow away from the head?
    Yes.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Crap crap crap! You have to be under 23.5 on the day you start IOT technically, but I've met plenty of people who aren't! I'll try and look up the number of someone at OASC who can tell you the facts.
    Wzz that would be amazing if you could! I have to phone the Squadron tomorrow and let them know! My back up degree is history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    ........ and that's out of date. That was ADStAUAS; they used to share Leuchars with ELUAS, East Lowlands UAS, who handled Edinburgh, Queen Margaret's, Napier, Heriot-Watt and Stirling.

They've been amalgamated, which is a shame

I'm getting the impression that most of the brochures/info sent out to us, are more often than not out of date. How're we expected to have a decent knowledge of anything? Also, if you get different booklets covering the same branch/role/process, there's often conflicting information, which makes it even more confusing. :confused: O.K rant over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie_JAGGERS)

It also predisposes you to heart attacks, amongst other things :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    Wzz that would be amazing if you could! I have to phone the Squadron tomorrow and let them know! My back up degree is history
    Don't have an RAF-wide phonebook to hand.

Ring 01400 261201; then do nothing, and wait for an operator to pick up. The operators are all at a central site so don't expect them to know anything.

Ask for the number for OASC Reception at RAF Cranwell. Don't let them connect you; it costs us loads; write down the extention, hang up, then redial 01400 261201 and type it in.

Call reception, and explain that you'd like to speak to someone with regards to age limits to enter training. They should hopefully point you towards the right extention. Explain that you have a "colleague" who started IOT on his 24th birthday as a direct entry pilot, and as you're going to graduate 1 month too old, you were wondering if there was any leeway, especially if (say) you took a June IOT slot before graduating uni?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    It also predisposes you to heart attacks, amongst other things :rolleyes:
    Probably worth it for the G tolerance though.

ReputationRep:
    Mainly for the attn of Wzz, but i know the academic minimums are 140 ucas points or thereabouts. In my situation, what are the minimums they would really be looking for?

ReputationRep:
    Are you garaunteed entry to the RAF if you join the UAS as pilot? If not what sort of % do they take?

If it's quite easy to get into the UAS i might go and give uni a shot- got the grades- and always wanted to be a pilot so might go and try it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Probably worth it for the G tolerance though.

Don't worry guys, my blood pressure isnt sky high (sorry) and dont worry, although you may say it means your unfit, id consider myself to be pretty fit. I dont think i'll need that much g tolerance to fly in the nimrod as wsop.

ReputationRep:
    No way is the UAS a free ticket to the RAF!! Its a very generous system that can be manipulated to get most out of. But at the end of the day you're always at the end of your bosses finger, and if you're not right, he won't hesistate in flicking yo ass out the door.

In my UAS we took around 25 pilots/yr (from 250+ applicants) which were whittled down to around 15 within 6 months and 5 within 2 years! And in current climates those 5 remainder can only hope and prey at OASC!

cheers
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Tommy Boy)
    Are you garaunteed entry to the RAF if you join the UAS as pilot? If not what sort of % do they take?

If it's quite easy to get into the UAS i might go and give uni a shot- got the grades- and always wanted to be a pilot so might go and try it!
    Its not that easy to get onto the UAS! about 300 people applied to the one Im joining, 100 got past the first interview, after the second interview, 40 passed. After OASC medical, 35 passed and after the apitiude, 20 passed. So you better know your stuff if you want to be in that 6%! After that you have 2 years of UAS which is juggling flying and ground commitments with your uni work. Some people get in who don't have a real interest in the RAF but they tend to fade away. After that you have to apply for a sponsership which means going back to OASC and doing more tests. If you pass that then you can start IOT once university is over. At IOT not many fail but I hear its 1% after that you have fast jet training at Valley where a lot of people end up going multi engine or rotary. I think its 1 FJ pilot for every 20 others.

I wouldn't just go to uni to join the UAS. Go to uni because you want the qualifications. There is no easy way of becoming a pilot. When there are a bunch of people at OASC and some are UAS and some aren't, they all end up doing the same tests.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Tommy Boy)
    If it's quite easy to get into the UAS i might go
    Good luck with that attitude....

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.