Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    after that you have fast jet training at Valley where a lot of people end up going multi engine or rotary. I think its 1 FJ pilot for every 20 others.
    Errr... you mean after that you have streaming, followed by either BFJT at Linton, MELIN and METS at Cranwell or DHFS at Shawbury. You don't all go to Valley and fill the other streams with guys who get chopped, you know. Plus you have to pass BFJT (right now in the top half of your course) to get to FJ AFT.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by peegee)
    Mainly for the attn of Wzz, but i know the academic minimums are 140 ucas points or thereabouts. In my situation, what are the minimums they would really be looking for?
    Can't remember; go to the RAF's website and it'll tell you there. I think it's 3 A levels including a science, or something like that, at grade C.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i cant actually find it on the website.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Look harder. Have you found the link to the careers site? Had a look at pilot?

ReputationRep:
    I certainly have, but I can only find grade specifications for gcse, not full gce A2.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Errr... you mean after that you have streaming, followed by either BFJT at Linton, MELIN and METS at Cranwell or DHFS at Shawbury. You don't all go to Valley and fill the other streams with guys who get chopped, you know. Plus you have to pass BFJT (right now in the top half of your course) to get to FJ AFT.
    :eek: I am such a moron sometimes. Forgot Linton :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I certainly have, but I can only find grade specifications for gcse, not full gce A2.
    5 GCSEs/SCEs and 2 A-levels or 3 Highers or equivalent. GCSEs/SCEs at Grade C/3 minimum to include English language and maths.

it's not hard to find :rolleyes:

Those are the requirements but obviously you are going up against many other people, so although they don't ask for A2's or degrees (unless specific trade like engineering, medical officer, etc) you would think that you want to achieve your maximum potential in order to try and stand out from the crowd.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm you should really try looking. Its all there. 5 GCSEs including maths and english lang, and 2 A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    5 GCSEs/SCEs and 2 A-levels or 3 Highers or equivalent. GCSEs/SCEs at Grade C/3 minimum to include English language and maths.

it's not hard to find :rolleyes:

Those are the requirements but obviously you are going up against many other people, so although they don't ask for A2's or degrees (unless specific trade like engineering, medical officer, etc) you would think that you want to achieve your maximum potential in order to try and stand out from the crowd.
    Should remember its not just A grades that make you stand out from the rest. My 2 D grades at A Level Tristar pilot friend is an example of that.

ReputationRep:
    right got a call from the squadron, they want me on board but can take me as with the course I'm doing I will be too old by a month when I finish.
    Did you phone OASC? How did you get on?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    not yet, still waiting to hear back from the squadron leader. Supposedly its also because I am on a foundation year, meaning I'm not technically on a degree
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by carrierlanding)
    Should remember its not just A grades that make you stand out from the rest. My 2 D grades at A Level Tristar pilot friend is an example of that.
    Maybe if he got As he'd be a Harrier mate instead though

ReputationRep:
    i know the academic minimums are 140 ucas points or thereabouts. In my situation, what are the minimums they would really be looking for?

Doesn't that equate to a C and D;it seems awfully low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ally_n_2000)
    Don't worry guys, my blood pressure isnt sky high (sorry) and dont worry, although you may say it means your unfit, id consider myself to be pretty fit. I dont think i'll need that much g tolerance to fly in the nimrod as wsop.

Don't worry about it Ally, high BP doesn't mean you're unfit, and could be for a hundred different reasons. Most probably you were a little nervous/stressed when it was taken.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    one guy at OASC was silly enough to have 4 cups of coffee for breakfast and 3 cigs on the way to the medical

ReputationRep:
    one guy at OASC was silly enough to have 4 cups of coffee for breakfast and 3 cigs on the way to the medical

Maybe he was trying to show what a good candidate he'd be for high G tolerance
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    lol maybe! Didn't pass his medical though. Was told he had a heart murmur. Probably an old problem but I bet the coffee and cigs didn't help him any!

ReputationRep:
    lol maybe! Didn't pass his medical though. Was told he had a heart murmur. Probably an old problem but I bet the coffee and cigs didn't help him any!

Lol, that was probably why the doc thought he had a heart murmur
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    yes, thats what we all thought! If you had a heart murmur you would think that your GP would pick up on it!

ReputationRep:
    yes, thats what we all thought! If you had a heart murmur you would think that your GP would pick up on it!

Just noticed your signature. Some of the mail you get is scary isn't it? :eek:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.