Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    You could certainly ask to hold at Leuchars, yes. You wouldn't get attached to a flying squadron though.

If you wanted to be an adminner, chances are if you had a four month hold before admin trg you'd go and be the station adjutant somewhere.

That could be interesting, definitely a mixture when it comes to duties by the station adjutant.

Oh the typo on Leuchars. oops :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    just got a call from the squadron. Although I passed for pilot they arent going to take me on as my degree is too long and I will be too old. I'm trying desperatly to change my degree just now but the squadron leader says I will be too tied down with uni work to join. I'm devestated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    just got a call from the squadron. Although I passed for pilot they arent going to take me on as my degree is too long and I will be too old. I'm trying desperatly to change my degree just now but the squadron leader says I will be too tied down with uni work to join. I'm devestated.

If you quit your degree would you then definatly get a place to train as a pilot? cos if you do then why not do your degree later in life if you want it? you can do a degree at anytime, but looks like you can only be a pilot up to 23!

ReputationRep:

Really sorry to hear that. It seems a bit mean letting you go through the process, pass successfully, and then tell you your degree is too long! Surely they knew that when you applied.

I can't understand why they're saying you'll be tied down with uni work;surely everyone joining the UAS is in the same boat. If you change to a shorter degree why would the workload be any different to any one else's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Really sorry to hear that. It seems a bit mean letting you go through the process, pass successfully, and then tell you your degree is too long! Surely they knew that when you applied.

I can't understand why they're saying you'll be tied down with uni work;surely everyone joining the UAS is in the same boat. If you change to a shorter degree why would the workload be any different to any one else's?
    Depends on the type of degree you do. A technical type degree is usually full time 9 - 5 every day due to the course contents while an IT degree like mines gives you crazy amounts of time spare (of course, your expected to study here!) , where your only in 3 - 4 days a week and its between 2 - 3 hours total
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    because I won't be familiar with the course and I will have to sit exams in Jan that I know nothing about.

The only things I have done and passed for pilot are the apitiude and medical.

I can't believe I'm letting it get to me. I just got off the phone with my dad and couldn't stop crying. AFCO have said they could have a place for me in Febuary time but thats only a maybe.

Why is everything always so confusing! All I want is a good career!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Scorg)
    Depends on the type of degree you do. A technical type degree is usually full time 9 - 5 every day due to the course contents while an IT degree like mines gives you crazy amounts of time spare (of course, your expected to study here!) , where your only in 3 - 4 days a week and its between 2 - 3 hours total
    yeah I'm in 9-5 almost everyday at the moment. It may seem a bit cruel to let me go through OASC but at least now I know how I did and that I can achieve it if I really put my mind to it.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Vladek)
    If you quit your degree would you then definatly get a place to train as a pilot? cos if you do then why not do your degree later in life if you want it? you can do a degree at anytime, but looks like you can only be a pilot up to 23!
    trust me its being considered. Doesn't help that Ive missed 1 week of classes because of the flu either

ReputationRep:
    yeah I'm in 9-5 almost everyday at the moment. It may seem a bit cruel to let me go through OASC but at least now I know how I did and that I can achieve it if I really put my mind to it.
    You can take positives from that, also you have a bit of knowledge as to how OASC works now.

Why is everything always so confusing! All I want is a good career!
    I know that feeling! As that is what I want as well. but 4 years spent already and ive still got 6 months to a years worth of getting a maths subject I should of had at 1st year uni!

Anyway, dont give up on Uni yet. Apply for Pilot and see what becomes of it. as even if you finish first year you'll have an hnc out of it (if you are at a scottish uni)

ReputationRep:

Would it be possible to carry on your degree through the OU?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Right, this seems remarkably simple to me. You want to be a pilot and you want to get a degree.

Change your degree; do one that's not as intensive. If they're telling you you're too old, I've already told you that's utter balls. Have you rung OASC yet like I recommended?

You are not too old. How long's your degree? What course is it? If you want to be a pilot, drop the 4 year degree (if it is one), call OASC and get some new, up to date official lines on age, and/or switch to an easier, less intensive degree so you can get some flying in.

If you really want it, just do it! Don't bother about OU nonsense or anything like that; if all you want to do is fly, then sod the degree, apply DE, take it, and go and be a pilot.

ReputationRep:
    There you go;problem solved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Right, this seems remarkably simple to me. You want to be a pilot and you want to get a degree.

Change your degree; do one that's not as intensive. If they're telling you you're too old, I've already told you that's utter balls. Have you rung OASC yet like I recommended?

You are not too old. How long's your degree? What course is it? If you want to be a pilot, drop the 4 year degree (if it is one), call OASC and get some new, up to date official lines on age, and/or switch to an easier, less intensive degree so you can get some flying in.

If you really want it, just do it! Don't bother about OU nonsense or anything like that; if all you want to do is fly, then sod the degree, apply DE, take it, and go and be a pilot.
    What do you mean "OU nonsense"! I get my degree at the end of the year - nothing "nonsense" about it!

Seriously though, I totally agree. I think you (sublime) have to make a big decision. If you want to be a jockey, get your application in! Personally, I'd rather apply and fail to get pilot (for whatever reason) then not apply, complete your degree and then regret your decision.

Besides, once you're in (and, whilst I can't speak for aircrew, the RAF is a brillant way of life), just finish off your degree with credit transfer via the "nonsense OU"! (If I recall correctly - one for you Wzz! - there's some kind of scheme where aircrew complete an OU degree whilst training to be a pilot. It means that the RAF get aircrew at 18-19 years old, rather than 21-22 years old)
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    thanks so much for the advice and help guys. I was so irrational earlier I couldn't make a straight decision. I need to think a lot more about it over the weekend but I reckon that I am going to change my degree in a last ditch attempt to get UAS. They will tell me sometime next week if I get it or not. (supposedly he may consider opening a space for me but he wasnt very positive) If that doesn't come through I will go DE will doing my january exams. If I pass I'll leave uni, if I fail.....well thats another story I suppose.

I suppose there is always the gliding club if I get desperate :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much for the advice and help guys. I was so irrational earlier I couldn't make a straight decision. I need to think a lot more about it over the weekend but I reckon that I am going to change my degree in a last ditch attempt to get UAS. They will tell me sometime next week if I get it or not. (supposedly he may consider opening a space for me but he wasnt very positive) If that doesn't come through I will go DE will doing my january exams. If I pass I'll leave uni, if I fail.....well thats another story I suppose.

I suppose there is always the gliding club if I get desperate :rolleyes:
    What year are you in at the moment? and is this a scottish or english uni ?

The way im thinking is that you can at least get the current year finished at the end of summer, while at the same time getting everything setup for oasc for pilot
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Im in a foundation year at an english university. (Bristol UWE) Actually I could stay on with Engineering until the end of the year while going through DE. We all know how long the process can take :rolleyes: I'm still waiting for my inital engineering application to come through from April. (which is why I went to uni in the first place)

ReputationRep:
    Im in a foundation year at an english university. (Bristol UWE) Actually I could stay on with Engineering until the end of the year while going through DE. We all know how long the process can take :rolleyes: I'm still waiting for my inital engineering application to come through from April. (which is why I went to uni in the first place)
    aha, well you'll have the time to finish it anyway I expect, so might as well
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    why are you on so late? lol.

I guess its just blocking out my parents whinging about my degree left to do and I'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    T'was probably true in the days of the British Empire, when we all kept a stiff upper lip at Rourkes Drift etc.

Gone are the days of buying one's Captaincy and Majority, or leading the 'Forlorn Hope' to get promoted if cash was a little scarce....

I've been reading too much Sharpe!
    ah sharpes company, brilliant im reading it now

ReputationRep:
    Could you guys help me out here. I am filling in my RAF Application and for Part 2 - Entry Details I have the following options:

Commission [ ]
    Commissioned Warrant Officer [ ]
    Bursary/Cadetship [ ]
    DTUS Engineer Bursary [ ]
    Sixth Form Scholarship [ ]
    RAF Pilot Scholarship [ ]
    Defence Sixth Form College [ ]
    Airmen (Aircrew) [ ]

Where can I find out information about what each one is and which would be the correct option for direct entry as a pilot?

In my pack that I received from the presentation there was no information guide to describe each entry option so that is why I have to ask.

Regards

Dave

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.