Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    why are you on so late? lol.

I guess its just blocking out my parents whinging about my degree left to do and I'll be fine!
    why am I on late, erm, old habits die hard I guess that and not needing to get up early in the mornings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo123)
    Could you guys help me out here. I am filling in my RAF Application and for Part 2 - Entry Details I have the following options:

Commission [ ]
    Commissioned Warrant Officer [ ]
    Bursary/Cadetship [ ]
    DTUS Engineer Bursary [ ]
    Sixth Form Scholarship [ ]
    RAF Pilot Scholarship [ ]
    Defence Sixth Form College [ ]
    Airmen (Aircrew) [ ]

Where can I find out information about what each one is and which would be the correct option for direct entry as a pilot?

In my pack that I received from the presentation there was no information guide to describe each entry option so that is why I have to ask.

Regards

Dave
    You'll want Commission as a pilot is an officer.
    Did you get any booklets at the same time as the application form? as it will help detail some of the above for you

ReputationRep:
    Could you guys help me out here. I am filling in my RAF Application and for Part 2 - Entry Details I have the following options:

Commission [ ]
    Bursary/Cadetship [ ]
    Airmen (Aircrew) [ ]

Where can I find out information about what each one is and which would be the correct option for direct entry as a pilot?

In my pack that I received from the presentation there was no information guide to describe each entry option so that is why I have to ask.

Regards

Dave
    You can rule out the Commissioned Warrant Officer's choice as that only applies to serving Warrant Officers applying for a commission. If you're applying to actually enter (as opposed to some kind of sponsorship for university) then "Commission" would be your choice.

ReputationRep:

Commission [ ]
    Bursary/Cadetship [ ]
    Airmen (Aircrew) [ ]

Regards

Dave
    i was just wandering if you are actually ready to committ an application to the RAF. don't you think that you shud do a bit more research on elements of the air force (such as the fact that a pilot holds a commission) before making such a life changing decision?
    Regarding this quote:
    "In my pack that I received from the presentation there was no information guide to describe each entry option so that is why I have to ask." - the RAF values inituitive so you have to be doing a lot of reading around to build your knowledge base. if you file your application now you may be at OASC in a few months along with a lot of highly competitive people going for pilot. currently if you are not exactly sure wot u are applying for you really don't stand a chance i'm afraid. remember the RAF are looking for an officer first and a pilot second.

ReputationRep:
    Could you guys help me out here.

Dave, you should be able to find out most info on the stuff you're asking about on www.rafcareers.co.uk.

If you've been to your initial presentation you should have been given quite a few booklets etc on branches/roles of officers. If you didn't get them ask your AFCO for them.

ReputationRep:
    So how did OASC go for those who've been this last week?

ReputationRep:
    Where is everyone??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    So how did OASC go for those who've been this last week?
    By 'Eck... that was fun!

OASC seemed to go pretty well... but that could be tempting providence. I managed to get through to the end, which I suppose is a start, and as a syndicate we seemed to gel pretty well. So touch wood, I'll be waiting for some news in the new year!

The aptitude test went on forever. I'm going for EngO, but still had to sit thru 6 hours of tests, just in case I showed an aptitude for something else. Apaarently I got a 'very high' aptitude for pilot. It's a shame I'm 10 years too old!

The medical was OK, usual stuff.

Interview wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. My life, what do I know about UK, world, RAF etc. 45 mins went by in a flash.

Bleep test was OK too. I managed a 11-2 which I was a bit disappointed with, but it still gives an 'Excellent' grade. (And I AM an old sod now so fairs fair!)

Group discussion was interesting. It's hard trying to play Devil's Advocate when all in the group have the same opinion (Do Football stars get paid too much, or can their pay be justified?)

Problem solving was pretty much cut-and-dried, with a few contingencies thrown in for when the DS moved the goalposts!

And the hangar exercises were a real bundle of fun... including when I had my finger trapped between a plank and a scaffold bar, with a girl stood on top complaining about a splinter in her hand. My now broken finger seemed to pale into insignificance compared to her trauma!!

Apart from that, it was 4 days away from work, which has to be a bonus in anyone's eyes!

Here's waiting for the mailman!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    By 'Eck... that was fun!

OASC seemed to go pretty well... but that could be tempting providence. I managed to get through to the end, which I suppose is a start, and as a syndicate we seemed to gel pretty well. So touch wood, I'll be waiting for some news in the new year!

The aptitude test went on forever. I'm going for EngO, but still had to sit thru 6 hours of tests, just in case I showed an aptitude for something else. Apaarently I got a 'very high' aptitude for pilot. It's a shame I'm 10 years too old!

Interview wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. My life, what do I know about UK, world, RAF etc. 45 mins went by in a flash.

Bleep test was OK too. I managed a 11-2 which I was a bit disappointed with, but it still gives an 'Excellent' grade. (And I AM an old sod now so fairs fair!)

Group discussion was interesting. It's hard trying to play Devil's Advocate when all in the group have the same opinion (Do Football stars get paid too much, or can their pay be justified?)

Problem solving was pretty much cut-and-dried, with a few contingencies thrown in for when the DS moved the goalposts!

And the hangar exercises were a real bundle of fun... including when I had my finger trapped between a plank and a scaffold bar, with a girl stood on top complaining about a splinter in her hand. My now broken finger seemed to pale into insignificance compared to her trauma!!

Apart from that, it was 4 days away from work, which has to be a bonus in anyone's eyes!

glad to hear back from your time at OASC, what with this site being down for a whole week and all.

I like that footballers wage one, since I come from the town of mighty east fife where they need a second job so they can be paid

ReputationRep:
    By 'Eck... that was fun!

It sound as though it went really well for you. Sorry about the finger, although you'll probably think even that's worth it if you get in The best of luck, although I don't think you'll need it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorg)
    glad to hear back from your time at OASC, what with this site being down for a whole week and all.

I like that footballers wage one, since I come from the town of mighty east fife where they need a second job so they can be paid

Are East Fife a footy team then??? LOL

ReputationRep:
    I thought their full name was "East Fife Nil"

ReputationRep:
    I thought their full name was "East Fife Nil"

Now that's just mean

ReputationRep:
    why can't I view the previous page? It just keeps saying 'page cannot be displayed' :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, if you want to view other pages you have to click the link to the next page, put a dash before the last number, and add .html to the end. Sounds a bit of a nuisance really!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Arch-Angel)
    What do you mean "OU nonsense"! I get my degree at the end of the year - nothing "nonsense" about it!
    Oh no; not meaning to insult the OU. My point was that if you want to be a pilot, then you do *somthing* to make it happen. There's no need to sit worrying about whether or not you can "top-up" your degree later. After all, why would you want to? It offers no help whatsoever to you once you're in pilot training, and keeping a degree down while doing EFT then BFJT or anything like that is not going to be easy.

(Original post by Arch-Angel)
    (If I recall correctly - one for you Wzz! - there's some kind of scheme where aircrew complete an OU degree whilst training to be a pilot. It means that the RAF get aircrew at 18-19 years old, rather than 21-22 years old)
    Yup, you get a degree in defence studies or something like that, and each flying course counts as a module. Again though, it's a lot of work for something with no immediate benefit... there's no extra pay, no extra seniority like there is with a degree picked up before joining, so it's only worth it if you *really* want a degree.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Now now; enough "foot-ball" chat. It's not an officers' sport
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    As mentioned Dave, perhaps you ought to put a little more effort into researching what you're getting into. If you don't even know if you need a commission, do you know anything about terms of service, pay, or the job at large?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    hey guys! long time no see! Got into the squadron, start flying jan 4th. Im well excited! Hope everyone is well and those who went to OASC did well!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, you deserve it. You see, all that perseverance paid off!

Well done.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.