Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 1
I wanna know too :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Yeah...does no one else have one??! are we the only ones? surely not...
Reply 3
i studied management with spanish at nottingham, so i do have an experience with the hispanic department. i was not too impressed with the lengua side of things to be honest. we only had 2 hours of spansh lengua a week - 1 for grammar and 1 for oral classes. not enough to learn a language at all.

however the rest of the spanish modules were great. some of the lecturers are amazing.
Reply 4
yeah i have an offer from nottingham for hispanic studiesl :smile:.
it was my first offer..
ooh im going to an open day on the 18th as well! ive never been but hopefully ill like it!
Geeta25
yeah i have an offer from nottingham for hispanic studiesl :smile:.
it was my first offer..
ooh im going to an open day on the 18th as well! ive never been but hopefully ill like it!

cool! wow... finally someone else, i thought everyone was maybe sulking cos they didn't have offers or something..... :tongue:
but yeh, I've heard good things about Nottingham, but also , when i went to a Birmingham open day lots of people seemed quite negative about it. oh well, i can't wait to see it!!! :smile:
Reply 6
MaxMara
i studied management with spanish at nottingham, so i do have an experience with the hispanic department. i was not too impressed with the lengua side of things to be honest. we only had 2 hours of spansh lengua a week - 1 for grammar and 1 for oral classes. not enough to learn a language at all.

however the rest of the spanish modules were great. some of the lecturers are amazing.

How long ago did you study there? I have to admit, the teaching/ structure for lengua was rather awful, as I experienced it in my 1st and 2nd years, but they have now completely reorganised the system and have a new language convenor who is absolutely excellent.
The Hispanics depts, or SPLAS as it is now known, is joint best in the country, along with Manchester - I'm talking in terms of research quality and calibre of staff here, which imo is what matters. For Golden Age Lit, women's writing, or anything to do with Cuba we have the best academics in the country, by far.
Is there anything else you want to know alexandramarycatherine? I'd be happy to give you any info you need.
Reply 7
oh that sounds good. i graduated last summer, so i was there from 2004.
Hi - I'm not Hispanic Studies but same department - Beginners' Portuguese and Spanish. Reassuring to hear good stuff about the department, I'd also heard it was joint best in the country. And I'm another person going to the open day on the 18th... :biggrin: Not been before...but I like the look of it all so far and everyone I know who went there LOVED it.
Reply 9
We actually get a very good deal because our new head of school was the woman who basically made the department at Manchester what it is today - I really can't praise her enough.
So for those interested in Hispanics - do you have a preference for literature/politics/history/film modules?
Just wondered if I could give any specific insider info which I wish I'd had when starting here back in the day :p:
FlyingIsis
How long ago did you study there? I have to admit, the teaching/ structure for lengua was rather awful, as I experienced it in my 1st and 2nd years, but they have now completely reorganised the system and have a new language convenor who is absolutely excellent.
The Hispanics depts, or SPLAS as it is now known, is joint best in the country, along with Manchester - I'm talking in terms of research quality and calibre of staff here, which imo is what matters. For Golden Age Lit, women's writing, or anything to do with Cuba we have the best academics in the country, by far.
Is there anything else you want to know alexandramarycatherine? I'd be happy to give you any info you need.

Aww thankyou for the info, you're so nice :smile:
I'm having a slight dilemma uni-wise, I just really don't know where I want to go :s-smilie: for ages I was dead set on Bristol, but now Nottingham and Birmingham look really good as well!
what would you say the ratio of language learning hours to Hispanic culture hours was for you? Did it change in your fourth year?? Also, are there lots of lectures in Spanish/Portuguese??
:smile:
liveitlikeyouloveit
Hi - I'm not Hispanic Studies but same department - Beginners' Portuguese and Spanish. Reassuring to hear good stuff about the department, I'd also heard it was joint best in the country.
And I'm another person going to the open day on the 18th... :biggrin: Not been before...but I like the look of it all so far and everyone I know who went there LOVED it.

Yay! Maybe I'll see you there... :smile:
alexandramarycatherine
Aww thankyou for the info, you're so nice :smile:
I'm having a slight dilemma uni-wise, I just really don't know where I want to go :s-smilie: for ages I was dead set on Bristol, but now Nottingham and Birmingham look really good as well!
what would you say the ratio of language learning hours to Hispanic culture hours was for you? Did it change in your fourth year?? Also, are there lots of lectures in Spanish/Portuguese??
:smile:

Apart from lengua and língua portugesa, all the modules are taught in English - for lit/film modules the material will be studied in the original language, but you will write your essays/ exams in English too - basically the idea behind this is that students simply would not be able to cope with the culture module lectures being given in Spanish/Portu if they are only at A level standard, as they will be in the beginning.
I'm a joint honours student, so I take less culture modules, but the language classes for Spanish and Portuguese are usually 2 hours a week each for seminars (there is now also a extra grammar lecture of an hour a week for Spanish), and each culture module is also 2 hours a week. This didn't change for me in fourth year, but I now have 2 hour long seminars for the culture modules (don't have lectures anymore) instead of two 1 hour sessions.

In terms of where you want to go - both Bristol and Nottingham are great unis, I personally don't like Birmingham uni but that's just me. I always knew I wanted to go onto postgrad level so the calibre of the department was really important to me, but if you just want to go out and get a job after graduation, either of the unis would stand you in good stead and look good on a CV.
Throughout my course, I have chosen mainly lit modules, because that's my primary interest, and all the teachers I've had are excellent. I'm also now studying advanced translation and again, the course content and teaching can't be faulted.
Do you know Portuguese is compulsory for the 1st year but you can then drop it? I studied it for 2 years, did very well in the first but then got bored of it in the 2nd, so I chose not to carry on with it in my final year. You should also get some free credits in first year to choose subsid modules - I did philosophy and psychology, but you can study virtually anything (except another a beginner's language).
FlyingIsis
Apart from lengua and língua portugesa, all the modules are taught in English - for lit/film modules the material will be studied in the original language, but you will write your essays/ exams in English too - basically the idea behind this is that students simply would not be able to cope with the culture module lectures being given in Spanish/Portu if they are only at A level standard, as they will be in the beginning.
I'm a joint honours student, so I take less culture modules, but the language classes for Spanish and Portuguese are usually 2 hours a week each for seminars (there is now also a extra grammar lecture of an hour a week for Spanish), and each culture module is also 2 hours a week. This didn't change for me in fourth year, but I now have 2 hour long seminars for the culture modules (don't have lectures anymore) instead of two 1 hour sessions.

In terms of where you want to go - both Bristol and Nottingham are great unis, I personally don't like Birmingham uni but that's just me. I always knew I wanted to go onto postgrad level so the calibre of the department was really important to me, but if you just want to go out and get a job after graduation, either of the unis would stand you in good stead and look good on a CV.
Throughout my course, I have chosen mainly lit modules, because that's my primary interest, and all the teachers I've had are excellent. I'm also now studying advanced translation and again, the course content and teaching can't be faulted.
Do you know Portuguese is compulsory for the 1st year but you can then drop it? I studied it for 2 years, did very well in the first but then got bored of it in the 2nd, so I chose not to carry on with it in my final year. You should also get some free credits in first year to choose subsid modules - I did philosophy and psychology, but you can study virtually anything (except another a beginner's language).

Oh cool, no I didn't know that! I guess that's a good idea, especially for people like me who know know practically nothing about Portuguese :tongue:
And the free credits thing sounds good too...I would love to do maybe music or psychology :smile:
Thanks for all the info!!!!!! :smile:
Reply 14

We actually get a very good deal because our new head of school was the woman who basically made the department at Manchester what it is today - I really can't praise her enough.
So for those interested in Hispanics - do you have a preference for literature/politics/history/film modules?
Just wondered if I could give any specific insider info which I wish I'd had when starting here back in the day

Hey, erm ive received offers from bristol, kings, ucl and notts for hispanic studies, and want a combination of lit/politics/history and film in my degree..
notts seem to have a goo combination..however i am not too sure about the other unis :s-smilie:..
Any help?

Also, how did everyone find the Nottingham open day? :smile:
Reply 15
Hey there guys, new to these forums.
I've applied to Leeds, Notts, Manchester Uni of, Swansea and Cardiff to do hispanic studies or some variation of that.
Had offers back from all cept leeds who rejected me, meh.
Thinking of going to the Nottingham open day on the 18th of March, is anyone else going?
Also, what were people offered for HS at Notts?
x
rhimox
Hey there guys, new to these forums.
I've applied to Leeds, Notts, Manchester Uni of, Swansea and Cardiff to do hispanic studies or some variation of that.
Had offers back from all cept leeds who rejected me, meh.
Thinking of going to the Nottingham open day on the 18th of March, is anyone else going?
Also, what were people offered for HS at Notts?
x

heyy! I went to the Notts open day on the 18th Feb, it was cool :smile:
i got an offer of BBB/ABC, and from speaking to other people it seems like that is the standad offer.
is yours the same?
Geeta25
Hey, erm ive received offers from bristol, kings, ucl and notts for hispanic studies, and want a combination of lit/politics/history and film in my degree..
notts seem to have a goo combination..however i am not too sure about the other unis :s-smilie:..
Any help?

Also, how did everyone find the Nottingham open day? :smile:

Haha, we are kind of in the same situation, I have offers for postgrad at UCL, Kings and Notts (as well as 3 others).
I've turned them all down actually, but I have been at Notts for 4 years, and researched and visited K and UCL so I know a bit about it.
UCL are very strong in the film dept, the top bod there has also founded an Hispanics film institute and he is a really lovely guy. Kings' main strength is lit, and generally their department outperforms UCL. Nottingham of course, is stronger than both of them.
To be honest, at undergraduate level you should get a good grounding in all fields - lit, politics, history and film. At Nottingham you certainly can if you so wish.
If you want to carry on with Hispanics at postgrad, Nottingham is the best place to go. However, if you just want to get a degree then go into work, I'd be tempted by UCL - of course you have all the other factors about living/social etc to consider
Good Luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending