The Student Room Group

Bristol or York for English?

I can't decide between them. I prefer the course @ york but don't like the campus and would prefer to live in Bristol. The course @ York is the Q309 one called English/Writing and Performance which looks really interesting and is pretty unique as far as English degrees go. Any advice people?

I would do a poll but I can't work out how to do it on this website!
:smile: thanks
Reply 1
sophieD
I can't decide between them. I prefer the course @ york but don't like the campus and would prefer to live in Bristol. The course @ York is the Q309 one called English/Writing and Performance which looks really interesting and is pretty unique as far as English degrees go. Any advice people?

I would do a poll but I can't work out how to do it on this website!
:smile: thanks

That's a tricky one! I think Bristol is very slightly more difficult to get into than York for English, although both have a really good reputation in English so that's not really a problem. Whichever one you do choose, it won't have a major consequence for your future career because they're both excellent universities. It's a question really of what's more important to you: the course that you will be studying for three years, or the surroundings that you will be living in for three years. For me, the course would be the most important thing. Don't forget that in York you move out in your second year anyway into the city, and the city of York is lovely!
Reply 2
steerpike1985
That's a tricky one! I think Bristol is very slightly more difficult to get into than York for English, although both have a really good reputation in English so that's not really a problem. Whichever one you do choose, it won't have a major consequence for your future career because they're both excellent universities. It's a question really of what's more important to you: the course that you will be studying for three years, or the surroundings that you will be living in for three years. For me, the course would be the most important thing. Don't forget that in York you move out in your second year anyway into the city, and the city of York is lovely!

thanks for the advice! :smile: . i thought bristol was slightly harder to get into too, which is why i think i should be grateful and go there. Plus, so many people apply which makes me think there must be something special about the course, even though i can't see it myself! The course @ york however looks much more appealing. And i'd look forward to moving off that campus. I think im going to go and have another look, and this time, actually look round the city too, coz i didnt get a chance last time.
Reply 3
sophieD
thanks for the advice! :smile: . i thought bristol was slightly harder to get into too, which is why i think i should be grateful and go there. Plus, so many people apply which makes me think there must be something special about the course, even though i can't see it myself! The course @ york however looks much more appealing. And i'd look forward to moving off that campus. I think im going to go and have another look, and this time, actually look round the city too, coz i didnt get a chance last time.

Doesn't Bristol only have about 60/70 places though?? If so, it's a really small english department in comparison to other similar universities, which means there are just so many applicants per place, rather than there being unusually high numbers of people wanting to go there. Places like Warwick/ York have almost 3000 applicants, but far more places (like 150 - 200).
Also, York is rated higher than Bristol for English. And the city is much more appealing. I would go for the course, simply for the fact you will have to study it for 3 years - and just telling your self it's a better uni might not help the fact the Bristol course is not what you want. I would pick york.
Have you still not heard from Warwick then?
Come to Bristol!I went to an open day yesterday and fell in love with it! :smile:
I'd go for Bristol. Remember, you spend more time in the city/on campus than actually involved in course work. And most of English is reading - plus Bristol's got the old Vic if you're interested in drama! So probably better provision for it outside of the course too
Reply 8
yes the old vic is definately a plus point!
Reply 9
Checking for Spies
Come to Bristol!I went to an open day yesterday and fell in love with it! :smile:

i lot of people love bristol when they see it, so thats why im really looking forward to going next week!

I still haven't decided though!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 10
Specialheffa
Have you still not heard from Warwick then?

Nope not yet.
Don't give up hope for Warwick!!! If you got an offer from Warwick, which would be your first choice then?
Reply 12
i don't know. im going to see bristol soon. i hope its better than the one's ive seen...so far, no uni has really impressed me.

Latest

Trending

Trending