Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if theres a post on this already, please direct me along to it if there is one!

I've applied to do English Language and Literature, and am fairly sure I'm going to Sheffield now to study it.
    But Leeds, although they rejected me for Language and Literature, have offered me another place to study Linguistics.
    Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the two? Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosy_909)
    Sorry if theres a post on this already, please direct me along to it if there is one!

I've applied to do English Language and Literature, and am fairly sure I'm going to Sheffield now to study it.
    But Leeds, although they rejected me for Language and Literature, have offered me another place to study Linguistics.
    Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the two?
    Thanks
    A Linguistics course will be language only (i.e. you wouldn't be studying any literature as part of your course). Language and Literature courses offer a bit of both, although the literature component is usually stronger.
    So basically, if your main interest is literature, go to Sheffield, and if you think you'll be happy to do a pure linguistics course, go to Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    The difference between Language and Linguistics is that linguistics is the side of language which will deal with the nitty-gritty, technical side of language such as grammar, morphology, syntax, phonology - those kinds of things.

Language can cover just about anything from the differences in how males and females use language to how languages have developed over time.

All very interesting subjects

ReputationRep:
    English Language focuses on the English Language in particular, and you'll do solely English syntax and phonology. There's not as much theory because you're applying it to just the English Language. You'll also have to do a lot of stuff with accents and dialects.

Linguistics however is a lot more abstract because it looks generally at lots of different language and trying to capture generalisations from language itself. As gillipies says, because it's so abstract you'll do a lot more theory because it's theory because it's the theory of features from all sorts of languages rather than just the English Language.

I'm a third year linguistics student, and although I'm basically doing half of my degree in English Language anyway because they're in the same department, I much prefer linguistics because you get the variation of lots of different languages and so no data analysis of a language is ever the same. Still, English Language is very interesting, and by doing English Lang courses anyway I don't think I've missed out!
    Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.