The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty certain their decision is final :frown:
Reply 2
Ask for feedback...I'm afraid that's as much as you can expect to get.

I would ring up a uni to ask why I got rejected, not to question them on their decision :p:

What uni is this?

My head of sixth form claims she's gotten people into unis after pestering even though they were initially rejected. But this is for American universities. (It was still the Ivy Leagues though =/)
Well, take this situation for example:

There are 5 offer holders (not including you) for 5 places. You kill all of them. There are now 0 offer holders for 5 places. The university wants to fill these places. They give you an offer and 4 others. There are now 5 offer holders (including you) for 5 places.

There's still a chance OP. :smile:
Reply 4
Cambridge for Medicine are renowned for being incredibly lenient.
Reply 5
a boy in my physics class first off got rejected by Imperial, but then he and/or some teachers phoned and said that he wasn't even given a fair chance, no interview, so they gave him an interview and then he got accepted and is now at Imperial :smile:

It can happen
Reply 6
There was some guy a couple of weeks ago that posted here and he got them to change their mind. So did a couple of other people after some serious grovelling emails.

King's for law is unlikely though cos it's so popular. You've got nothing to lose except your dignity though so if you really want it just do it.
Flavity
Any cases where they've been swayed?

Only when Swayum's about :biggrin:

But I think you and make yourself be reconsidered in UCAS Extra/Clearing if you have 0 offers (as long as they have places).
Reply 8
I know of a case where someone emailed after a rejection and they ended up with an unconditional offer. However i have no idea what they said in the email and this must be EXTREMELY rare so i wouldnt get your hopes up.
Reply 9
Flavity
Was that for Law at Kings??

No, I don't think so. It was for something quite competitive though.
I don't know how many people they get doing this. If you're the only one or only one of a few then you might stand a chance. Maybe they'd like your determination?
nothing to loose =]
Yes If the school you're at has made a cock up in the application referral that has let you make a critical error. Example, my school which has hardly given any direction as to what to fill in on UCAS online, especially what to do with AS grades. One of my mates filled in every single one, even the cruddy ones. So when his application went off, Birmingham got the impression he had a certain grade for a certain subject one full grade lower than what was required when actually he was going to resit some mods. He rang up, explained it and they changed their decision from a rejection to an interview and eventually an offer. That was an isolated case though, apart from that I don't know
I would ring up and ask. What have you got to lose apart from a bit of dignity and pride?
I know a friend who did it last year for Geography at Durham. She actually took the train up and did it face-to-face and they must have liked her because she got given a place.
Reply 13
In America you can appeal so maybe there is some sort of process like that here? I think it would definitely be possible to contest their decision if you have NOT been interviewed. If you have it would be much harder. I'd call them, email them and if you want it badly enough visit them. If you want it enough what have you got to lose?
Flavity
Nothing to loose I guess, might take the train up there and see if I can have a one to one with the admissions tutor. Do you reckon they would let me do this?

Email and ask? Probably wouldn't work if you just turned up unannounced. You may as well try though. Even if they say no to a one to one, it'll show you're serious about wanting a place!
Reply 15
they can reconsider but you have to give them a good enough reason too...
Reply 16
Flavity
Kings for Law

Disregard what others state here, unless they have done so with the subject course and university.

I applied to KCL to do Engineering and was rejected because I wanted direct access to the 2nd year. I drafted a letter asking them to reconsider, which they did and subsequently accepted me. The decision was based on my grades, which I had achieved and there was no reason for them not to accept me. All that effort to put them as insurance lol!

Anyway, Law at KCL is a different kettle of fish. That's an extremely creditable and popular course. They will have the very best of applicants, thus a chance of KC reconsidering your application is pretty minimal I'd say. Engineering isn't as popular.
Reply 17
Can you apply the next year if you are rejected the first time and decide not to go into clearing and re-apply the following year? I don't know too much on this topic so I thought I could find out something today...:smile:

Thanks for any replies...:biggrin:
Flavity
Hi,

I was just wondering whether universities reconsider people after they have already rejected them? I have a rejection from the uni that I really wanted to go.. I'm just wondering whether it is worth giving them a ring and asking them to please please reconsider me?

What are everyones opinions on this? Would you ring up a uni and ask them to reconsider you and give you an offer?

no
I'd do it if I were you :biggrin: Kind of in the same boat here..
I got rejected for English language and linguistics from Sheffield, but they say on their website they offer feedback on request. So i've rang up and spoken to about 7 people there to try and speak to the right person, asking for feedback but also telling them that I'm resitting a module to bring up my grade to an A and that they don't offer English Language by itself at my college.
The guy told me to e-mail this woman who would forward it to whoever looked at my application or something and then he can put me in contact with them. I'm so praying it works cos it would be my first choice if I had an offer. Nobody's replied yet, but i'm hoping this woman hasn't been able to get in cos of snow or summat.
Might look into the whole going there thing, I could stay with a mate and pay them a visit :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending