The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

An averagely big amount - about two and a half stone. But I've put weight on since then sadly... must try harder.
Reply 2
No i completely agree with u. im afraid i have no sympathy for most fat people. a very very small amount have metabolism problems, but most people eat too much rubbish and are lazy, case closed, stop eating so much and get ur big fat backside off the sofa
M@255
I'll get absolutely slated, ragged, bitched to death and bad repped for this probably; but in simple terms, the key to weight loss is to eat a lot less and stop being gluttenous.

actually, it's to burn more than you eat, so if you want to eat like a pig go ahead, just make sure you exercise enough to make up for it...
Yeah, me and my friend invented this diet, and it works really well, and its based on not being a complete idiot, because everyone knows what makes you fat really. Although, I did just eat takeaway... but it was the first time in ages and ages, and I absolutely can't be bothered to cook because I'm tired.
Reply 5
M@255
Aye, but someone who does no exercise, but then reduces their calorie intake by 50% is gonna lose weight.

but they won't gain any muscle and will be flabby.

simplest way to lose weight: FORGET about dieting. if you don't think about food you won't overeat. simple. eat at meal times. within a couple of days your body gets trained to be hungry at those times and those times only.

go for a run every day and enjoy the feeling of immense superiority when you get back :biggrin: if you ever want to quit the exercise, think of how sh*t you'll feel if you do, and how fab you'll feel if you keep going.

i lost a lot of weight once...put some back on but im still happily skinny :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
M@255
Aye, but someone who does no exercise, but then reduces their calorie intake by 50% is gonna lose weight.

right, it's just that most people have all these methods for losing weight (try this diet, or that diet) that they forget the basic principle...
besides if someone wants to lose weight it's always best to encourage excersie as opposed to a reduction or change in their day-to-day diet (unless of course this diet is unhealthy) :smile:
Reply 7
It could be called will power I suppose.
6 stone in 3 months.
Reply 8
Luize
6 stone in 3 months.

Wow that's a lot- are you sure? A stone every two weeks? You must have been starving yourself or running marathons! Bleeding hell.

I started this- I was just generally interested to see how many people who had gained weight for one reason or another had managed to lose it sensibly over time. I am going to start losing a stone- as off now! I'll be toned again then.

Oh and to the person with the mushroom as an icon (sorry can't rememebr your name whilst posting this thread) you are right with regard to your policies on food- maybe slightly fanatical but absolutely right and I respect your will power! I am not overweight myself but verging that way- put it this way I could be lighter so I am going to adopt your 'no need for crap' 'eat to live' attitude as off now! Cheers good to see someone with self-discipline. (Ps I can't exercise more as I'm banned for 6weeks due to broken wrist achieved by extreme snowboarding last week- this makes weight maintenance harder!).
Reply 9
Don't just change your diet because you want to lose weight. Think about your health. I had to cut many fatty foods or unhealthy things out of my diet and lost about a stone without any change in exercise.
You need exercise as well to be fit anyway. As you have broken your wrist try exercising your legs. Get some ankle weights etc
Maybe
Trixxxy
Has anyone lost a considerable amount of weight over time due to will power?

I think it's all about your state of mind. That means, if you feel absolutely rotten about how you look, you won't loose any weight- you'll probably end putting more weight on.
I also find that if you really like yourself, then you won't be stuffing on sweets, chocolate etc.

I lost 3 stone because i changed my state of mind.
Luize
6 stone in 3 months.

you must have been reallllly overweight. Those sorts of numbers require a very large starting weight, at least 20stone. respect if you managed it, but it is really important that people do it safely. the consequences of not are pretty dire.
I was quite a fat kid until year 11, then lost loads of weight (went from 11 stone to 8.5) stayed same weight till uni, but now am back upto 11 stone (but am taller and more muscley now - bonus).
My weight loss method was actually very easy - i used to go walk the dogs with a friend abour 2miles once or twice every day. thats actually some quite solid exercise, even if it doesnt feel like it. get fook all now tho - life gets in the way.
Reply 13
foolfarian
you must have been reallllly overweight.

I wasn't really that overweight. I just went a bit extreme and got carried away.
It wasn't a good idea. Really stupid idea infact.
Reply 14
Trixxxy
Has anyone lost a considerable amount of weight (more than half a stone) over time due to will power?

I've lost about 3.25 stone in the last year and a half, obviously to do that you can't just do it through will power and will power alone but it took a lot to keep my food intake down and keep exercising.
I'd recommend taking up a sport you enjoy, even if it's not one that's particularly strenuous (I play badminton doubles which isn't as bad as singles) and you'll keep doing because it's fun.
Then just take a look at the amount of food and calories you're eating, don't be exact but keep it approximately. I tend to aim for about 1500, thought some days I binge and head out towards 3000. As long as I don't do it too often it should be fine.

Oh, and drink lots of water, if you feel hungry a pint of water makes it a lot better!

A.
I managed to put on just over half a stone in a short amount of time. My doctor was delighted. I'm underweight so any weight gain is celebrated.
Reply 16
Lozza
but they won't gain any muscle and will be flabby.

simplest way to lose weight: FORGET about dieting. if you don't think about food you won't overeat. simple. eat at meal times. within a couple of days your body gets trained to be hungry at those times and those times only.

that is so wrong,you have to train your body to accept amounts of food every now and then during the day,but depends on type of food,it's to keep your body metabolism high,
you should eat fruits/vegtables between the meals but also your meals should be sensible
Reply 17
veryjammy
No i completely agree with u. im afraid i have no sympathy for most fat people. a very very small amount have metabolism problems, but most people eat too much rubbish and are lazy, case closed, stop eating so much and get ur big fat backside off the sofa

Bit harsh, some of us try quite hard to be thin
Reply 18
Luize
Don't just change your diet because you want to lose weight. Think about your health. I had to cut many fatty foods or unhealthy things out of my diet and lost about a stone without any change in exercise.
You need exercise as well to be fit anyway. As you have broken your wrist try exercising your legs. Get some ankle weights etc

How did you manage it? I seriously need to lose weight
I lost 6 stone over 18-24months. Forget dieting, forget starving yourself. Think about healthy eating, there is no food which is bad or wrong, it is just about doing it all in moderation. Healthy eating, implement some fruit and veg into diet, get active, even just going for a brisk walk for half an hour every day.

Still give yourself treats, the more you deprive yourself of a food, the more you will crave it and the more likely the food craved will be ate in excess. So, still have that fave food, just alternate it with having an healthier alternative the next day!!.

Try drinking more water too, and lose weight slowly, dont punish yourself about it. Aim for losing 1-2lb a week is all anyone who needs to lose weight should look to lose each week. Just do it sensibly and slowly and do everything in moderation, still have treats and dont deprive yourself.

Love Niamhsterxxx

Latest

Trending

Trending