The Student Room Group

How long did you revise for when studying for gcses?

Scroll to see replies

I didn't :/ Hence average grades I guess :/ I hated school!
How did you revise for Eng Lang?
I'm struggling to find a way to revise for it other than do past papers... (I'm doing CIE 0500 Eng Lang IGCSE)

Original post by tlozoot
English Lang - 4 nights ish before - B
English Lit - Night before - A*
Math - Week before - A*
Biology - 3 nights - A
Chemistry - 3 nights - A
Physics - 3 nights - A
Music - Night before - B
RE - Night before - A
ICT - 2 nights - A*
Graphic Design - Morning before - A
French (short course) - none - C
Welsh (full course) - none - B

I understood most of the work over the year though, so revising was mostly refreshing my memory. Revising paid off in some cases (Math) and didn't in others. I wrote out a story for my English Lang exam and adapted it to the subject they gave us. I drafted that thing several times and I could roll it out almost word perfect, but still a B. Where as English Lit was an A* and I barely revised at all. I laugh at my Welsh result though. Going into that exam I new less Welsh than I did in Year 7.

Play it safe though, and revise a week before each one IMO.
Original post by Ribbits
RE, IT, History, English language and literature - no revision at all, not even a mad 30 minutes before the exams.

Maths and science - 30 minutes before exams. For maths we got terrible teachers and I had very few real lessons. I could easily have gained an A*, but I grew too complaisant in my ability and did zero work (no classwork or homework most of the time).

Graphics and German - no revision as such, just mad learning before exams.
I had 6 hours worth of lessons for Graphics in total, no other learning or revising at all. Pretty good for a GCSE that's supposed to take 2 years worth of lessons. German - very few real lessons, about 6 hours of teaching myself.

Art - The only subject I really worked for, 3 hours per day for coursework (90% of GCSE, only 10% is the exam final piece).

If I could go back in time I would have put in a bit more effort, like by doing homework for all my subjects not just... actually come to think of it I didn't do homework for any subject.

Speak for yourselves. Very little homework, a lot of missed lessons and only 30 minutes of revision can still = AAA at AS level. Not that I recommend it.

What kind of school do you go to?
Reply 83
This was posted 7 years ago but oh well... Im going into A-levels this year and I studied about 3-4 weeks for each subject, straight A's :smile:
I get this is an old thread, but I revised like 4 hours per day on average from Christmas, year nine. After the reforms came in, GCSEs got harder. However, I was only doing an hour or two per day leading up to my exams so it was all in all pretty chill lol.

Quick Reply

Latest