This discussion is closed.
Unregistered999
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
At my school we can choose what maths units we do. I can either do:

P1P2P3P4S1S2
P1P2P3P4M1D1

What route should I take? Im aiming for an A at GCSE (which I think I can get) and I wanna know what people on this board think I should do! Please help. People currently taking a-level maths would be greatly appreciated!!!
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered999)
At my school we can choose what maths units we do. I can either do:

P1P2P3P4S1S2
P1P2P3P4M1D1

What route should I take? Im aiming for an A at GCSE (which I think I can get) and I wanna know what people on this board think I should do! Please help. People currently taking a-level maths would be greatly appreciated!!!
Well I really hate statistics so I would choose the second one. I found M1 to be easier that the rest. I guess its down to you though.. whatever ones you enjoy more..
Unregistered999
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Well I really hate statistics so I would choose the second one. I found M1 to be easier that the rest. I guess its down to you though.. whatever ones you enjoy more..
Well at school I find vectors a bit easier than probability. Is that wht they are about? I really hate physics though :s
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well at school I find vectors a bit easier than probability. Is that wht they are about? I really hate physics though :s
Yeh there is a section of Vectors in M1 but most of it is Physics related stuff.. although its not as hard a Physics
Unregistered999
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Yeh there is a section of Vectors in M1 but most of it is Physics related stuff.. although its not as hard a Physics
Is pure 4 ok? Ive gotta do it in the second year if i choose maths.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Sorry I have no idea- I'm doing Pure 2 at the moment but I will only be going as far as Pure 3. You might want to take a look at the syllabus on your exam board. Im sure it will be ok though if you keep up with the work and try your hardest.. there is no reason why you can't get an A.
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
P4 is generally considered a further maths module. Why is your school giving Pure options more than any other - is it because the Maths syllabus was considered too easy and now exam boards are concentrating more on pure?
Unregistered999
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Sorry I have no idea- I'm doing Pure 2 at the moment but I will only be going as far as Pure 3. You might want to take a look at the syllabus on your exam board. Im sure it will be ok though if you keep up with the work and try your hardest.. there is no reason why you can't get an A.
Awww thanx elle
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
As of 2004 P4 will be an A level module. At least on edexcel. The old P1-P3 will become P1-P4 and you will The new P1 module will bridge more from GCSE to old P1 so people don't have such a shock at the start of A Level.

Further Maths will consist of FP1-FP3 and the usual 3 applied modules.
Hope this clears it up.
++Hex++
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mensandan)
As of 2004 P4 will be an A level module. At least on edexcel. The old P1-P3 will become P1-P4 and you will The new P1 module will bridge more from GCSE to old P1 so people don't have such a shock at the start of A Level.

Further Maths will consist of FP1-FP3 and the usual 3 applied modules.
Hope this clears it up.
Wait a minute - Edexcel are reordering their entire pure syllabus?! Does that mean you have to do 4 pure modules to get a pure AS? :confused:
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ++Hex++)
Wait a minute - Edexcel are reordering their entire pure syllabus?! Does that mean you have to do 4 pure modules to get a pure AS? :confused:
I doubt it, you'll still probably need just P1-P3, it'll just be 'easier' to get
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I've just checked with QCA and there will be a change to exam specification from September 2004.
A level Maths will consist of 4 units of pure, 2 at AS and 2 at A2 plus 2 in applied, such as statistics or mechanics.
This is designed to make Maths A level easier whilst retaining the rigour of pure maths.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Personally I would choose P1-P4, S1 and D1 (if available). I found D1 really easy, and am finding S1 easy too. I struggle with M1, well actually anything involving more than one force so if Physics is your thing go for M1. If you prefer stats and probability, S1 and S2. And do not be afraid of D1, just practice, it's real easy when it hits home and it hits home quite soon.
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Just to clarify the changes in maths from 2004 (meant to post earlier but didn't have time).
P1 - P3 as we know them are becoming Core 1 - Core 4 (C1-C4).
So the first year consists of C1 + C2 + another module (S1 for example), with the second year being C3 + C4 + yet another module (S2 perhaps), meaning there will be one less applied module compared to the current course.

The further maths course has the same core content, but the pure modules are being renamed. They're becoming further pure 1 - 3 (FP1 - FP3). Why further pure rather then further core? Probably to confuse everyone :P
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Soulfish)
Just to clarify the changes in maths from 2004 (meant to post earlier but didn't have time).
P1 - P3 as we know them are becoming Core 1 - Core 4 (C1-C4).
So the first year consists of C1 + C2 + another module (S1 for example), with the second year being C3 + C4 + yet another module (S2 perhaps), meaning there will be one less applied module compared to the current course.

The further maths course has the same core content, but the pure modules are being renamed. They're becoming further pure 1 - 3 (FP1 - FP3). Why further pure rather then further core? Probably to confuse everyone :P
Semi-related, my now ancient thread discussed the optimum Maths combo. I have discovered it to be:
Maths: P1 P2 D1 P4 P5 D4
Further Maths: P3 D2 D3 P6 D5 D6
Statistics: S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 S6
Applied Maths: M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 M6

So four Maths A-Levels. Anyone know how this will be affected by these changes?
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Semi-related, my now ancient thread discussed the optimum Maths combo. I have discovered it to be:

can you do p4 and p5 without p3?
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Well currently each pure module builds on the knowledge learnt in the previous one, so in theory no -also P3 is considered hardest module. The only unit that is described as 'a stand alone' is P6 but not having done it I can't comment. Perhaps a 'further' mathematician could let us know?
Unregistered999
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

It only goes up to D2 doesnt it? You cant do D3-6 ... theres no such thing!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
If you have a look, P3 is in Further Maths. One rule of F-Maths is that it has to include one pure module per year. Hence this arrangement. Though it might be possible, I will have P1, P2, P3 and P6 when I finish so if you can skip P4 and P5...
And to the unreg, I'm not sure about how far the D-modules go, but I'm certain that there are 6 Stats and 6 Mechanics modules.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If you have a look, P3 is in Further Maths. One rule of F-Maths is that it has to include one pure module per year. Hence this arrangement. Though it might be possible, I will have P1, P2, P3 and P6 when I finish so if you can skip P4 and P5...
And to the unreg, I'm not sure about how far the D-modules go, but I'm certain that there are 6 Stats and 6 Mechanics modules.
It is only possible to take 3 Maths A-Levels. There are no current D3-D6 modules, although arguibly cryptography could be included in a potential D3 syllabus...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (229)
51.35%
No (217)
48.65%

Watched Threads