The Student Room Group

I'm not from Manchester, so am I a Glory Hunter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You either support your local team or a team that was passed down through your family.

End of really, I class anything else as glory hunting.
Yes you are a glory hunter. You chose to support man united because they win alot. = glory hunter.
Reply 22
Well, it's not all about geography. I'm from New Zealand originally, and I've only lived in the country since 2000, but I've been a diehard Manchester City fan all my life (through my Manc father and his Manc father).

If you can truly say to yourself that you would follow United into mediocrity and relegation (indeed, all the crap normally associated with us :tongue:) then you're not a glory hunter. Unfortunately, it's not looking like you're going to have the opportunity to prove your loyalty any time soon.
Reply 23
Yes, yes you are. Us Mancunians reserve this birthright.
Reply 24
Martyn1989
You either support your local team or a team that was passed down through your family.

End of really, I class anything else as glory hunting.

I agree although I have a similar situation to the OP. I have supported United for as long as I can remember (about 1990). This is because my Dad supports them and his Dad supported them. As for as I know neither were brought up in Manchester or have any other connection to the city. I don't want to be blamed for my grandparents gloryhunting! I would quite happily still go watch United if they were relegated, in fact the ticket prices and competition for tickets might go down!

I'm in the process of persuading Mrs Dob to move to Manchester, so our kids will have an excuse to support them (but not City).
Reply 25
Christien
Well, it's not all about geography. I'm from New Zealand originally, and I've only lived in the country since 2000, but I've been a diehard Manchester City fan all my life (through my Manc father and his Manc father).

If you can truly say to yourself that you would follow United into mediocrity and relegation (indeed, all the crap normally associated with us :tongue:) then you're not a glory hunter. Unfortunately, it's not looking like you're going to have the opportunity to prove your loyalty any time soon.

Its a bit different when you come from a country with no english premier league teams, my local team in belfast is cliftonville, the closest team to where i live in manchester is actually city :cool: not much glory though. been there before the takeover, am there after it.

regarding the OP, yes, you are a glory hunter, up to you if you see that as a bad thing or a good thing.
In days gone by a father would take his son down to the local ground and they'd watch football with a coke and a beer. You'd end up supporting your local team, and who you got you stuck with.

Now, people have access to any team in the world, and they don't need to brave the cold to see them. However, many people have chosen their teams on the basis of how well they're doing at the time, and not anything to do with their location. This, to some extent, does make glory hunters of them, since they're only looking for a team that is doing well. However, since many of us choose our teams at the age of 6, how can we be blamed for it.

A distinct lack of parental guidance in the issue is to be blamed. So, yes, you're a glory hunter, but it's okay, it's not your fault.

However, if the world were able to change things and local teams got local support, then maybe the game would be a lot fairer than it is right now. Minnows who are struggling to get ticket sales are finding that all the local kids want to see Stevie Gerrard playing. However, if there was a real passion for your local team then we'd find a better football competition, Athough we'd probably not have the strength of a league such as the Premier League since it revolves around clubs with superstars and super wages, which can only be afforded by huge fanbases.

Out of interest, I was a youngster brought up going to either QPR or Chelsea games (they're down the road from each other). Back then QPR was a lot higher than Chelsea, and Chelsea were on the brink of relegation at one point. I stuck with Chelsea because my mum liked them, and I was a mummy's boy. Looking back on things I'm glad, but then again, I still have a little bit of QPR in my heart aswell. More kids need to see football, which means watching their local teams.

It might be controversial, but I think that local teams seem to get more support from lower socio-economic groups, since they can afford the local ticket prices, but not travel to the big clubs and their huge ticket prices. They don't have sky, so best access to the game is through a local team. I hypothesise, the richer you are, the more of a glory hunter you are!
I did a sports journalism module last semester and most of the class, our tutor included joked about United fans not being from Manchester all of the time.

Just for the record I'm from Manchester and live in Manchester and I am a City fan, my brother is a United fan and our whole family is sort of split between City and United. However I do support Hull City, Cork City and Celtic too. But I do have links, for example my Grandad is from Hull and my Dad supports them, my Dad is from Cork and all of his side of the family is from Cork too, with exception to my Grandad from Hull but he lives in Cork and supports them too, and Celtic because they have links to Ireland and are linked more to the Catholic side and I am a Catholic, I also like Scotland too.

So I do have links with the teams I support but I do and always will consider my team to be Manchester City. Honestly my opinion is that you should support your own, I see nothing wrong with supporting other teams but your team, the one you stand by through thick and thin should be your own local team, I know if there are two teams, for example City/United, Everton/Liverpool you choose your team but usually you grow up supporting the team of your family or friends.

One of my mates is from Wigan and he is a Wigan supporter, he said that when he went to see Wigan and United play in the last match of the season, the one where United got the trophy he was in the Wigan section but the majority of people there were cheering on United, including two of his mates from Wigan. He also said how he was at a pub once in Wigan when they were both playing and him and his mate started cheering when Wigan scored and loads of people in the pub just looked at them like they'd committed a crime or something. I think that is awful, people should always support their local teams, it just takes away from the game when things like that happen, imagine if you didn't support your local team in Royston Vasey! Edward and Tubbs wouldn't be happy. Another example was when my brother had a season ticket, he couldn't make it one week and it was a child's ticket and at the time I was the only one who could go instead so I went and I met the people who would sit in the same seats every week, so obviously my Dad knew them and was talking to them, the majority were not even from Manchester and one guy was from Leeds and they were playing Leeds United and he didn't even know most of the Leeds players which says something really. I suppose I just don't like the idea of people supporting teams from places they have absolutely no links to and the place means nothing to them, it just makes them look like they have no loyalty to where they are from.
Reply 28
Yes for the sake of banter :smile:
and No as a serious answer.
Reply 29
well I support the Miami Dolphins in the NFL, so I'd say no. Though, the Dolphins aren't exactly glorious of late...
I remember as a child a friend accused my brother and Dad of being glory hunters because they supported United.
We're from Plymouth, so my dad has always supported Argyle no matter how **** they have been over time. The fact is though that as a child my Dad also was in awe of Manchester United and will soon have been supporting them for 45 years.

My Dad ended up meeting my Mum who is from Manchester, and his honest love of United helped him to bond with her family quite well! This in turn further justifies my brothers and my own love of the team.

Not glory hunters - life long supporters.
Whatever local means.
SpecialKate
I remember as a child a friend accused my brother and Dad of being glory hunters because they supported United.
We're from Plymouth, so my dad has always supported Argyle no matter how **** they have been over time. The fact is though that as a child my Dad also was in awe of Manchester United and will soon have been supporting them for 45 years.

My Dad ended up meeting my Mum who is from Manchester, and his honest love of United helped him to bond with her family quite well! This in turn further justifies my brothers and my own love of the team.

Not glory hunters - life long supporters.

That is glory hunting though. Supporting two teams in the same country is ridiculous.
Reply 33
Jim-ie
Its a bit different when you come from a country with no english premier league teams, my local team in belfast is cliftonville, the closest team to where i live in manchester is actually city :cool: not much glory though. been there before the takeover, am there after it.

regarding the OP, yes, you are a glory hunter, up to you if you see that as a bad thing or a good thing.

I actually find myself encountering people in pubs who accuse me of being a gloryhunter for supporting City, claiming that City fans have been popping up 'all over the place' since the takeover. Annoying as all hell, considering I distinctly remember sitting in the stands with tears streaming down my 11 year old face as we were relegated by none other than Ipswich fookin' Town.

If we do actually achieve any measure of success, these irritating people will be unavoidable. Bah.
Reply 34
Christien
I actually find myself encountering people in pubs who accuse me of being a gloryhunter for supporting City, claiming that City fans have been popping up 'all over the place' since the takeover. Annoying as all hell, considering I distinctly remember sitting in the stands with tears streaming down my 11 year old face as we were relegated by none other than Ipswich fookin' Town.

If we do actually achieve any measure of success, these irritating people will be unavoidable. Bah.

I haven't had that yet, I'd tell em to fook off though.
brapboybrap
That is glory hunting though. Supporting two teams in the same country is ridiculous.

Actually I'll give you that. I do think it is unnecessary but I just never really thought it that strange as most family members/family friends also had teams they supported elsewhere.

It depends on how you define glory hunter. I always thought of it as a fan who would change to supporting whatever team was winning at the time, which is not the case here.
If you see glory hunting as being supporting a team that does well that is not local to you, then fair enough my Dad would fall into that category.
City will be getting more and more new fans because of recent events though. Same happened with Chelsea- all these mugs in my area started to wear Chelsea shirts but had no idea about the club pre-2004. Not too many Chelsea shirts on display atm though...
What kind of fanbase would we have if only Mancs supported us....come on.
Klinsmannic
City will be getting more and more new fans because of recent events though. Same happened with Chelsea- all these mugs in my area started to wear Chelsea shirts but had no idea about the club pre-2004. Not too many Chelsea shirts on display atm though...

What's your area?
North East London lol

Quick Reply

Latest