I'm not from Manchester, so am I a Glory Hunter?

Watch
good mermington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ShinyApple)
In days gone by a father would take his son down to the local ground and they'd watch football with a coke and a beer. You'd end up supporting your local team, and who you got you stuck with.

what if you always sat in the away end :teeth:
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
North East London lol
Ah well. I could probably find plenty of Utd fans in western London (like Hanwell). What I never get is that because it's London, local is judged to be more strict (presumably because people have a rough idea on the postcodes). So, if you live in Plaistow and you support Chelsea then people will complain, but if you live in another city is doesn't seem to matter so much as long as you are in the city that 'contains' your club. So you could live opposite Goodison Park but support Liverpool and that's not considered the same as my earlier example. Besides, plenty of Arsenal supporters in Lewisham and Southwark. I know, I used to travel daily in that area... What's wrong with Charlton or Crystal Palace?

You'd hope clubs would bother with a local fan base as a 'foundation' but unfortunately very few do. To those that do, and I think Spurs might be one of them, then they should be credited for that. Capitalism seems to get in the way it seems.
Nicky Nitro
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
City will be getting more and more new fans because of recent events though. Same happened with Chelsea- all these mugs in my area started to wear Chelsea shirts but had no idea about the club pre-2004. Not too many Chelsea shirts on display atm though...
That was one of the things that I wasn't looking forward about, the idea of people jumping on the bandwagon when City start to show a little bit of success. The thing is though we were/are usually looked at as the idiots, the team that can't make anything work and people ridicule and laugh at us for that, when we do prove them wrong and show some success some of these same people will just jump on the bandwagon and erase their memory of ever saying these things about city and become "fans".
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by newlife)
Before this thread starts I'd like to thank everyone for their inputs (unless you want to waste a thread cursing other teams). I know some of this may sound like an ir-relevant story but I just wish to describe the facts before you all give your thoughts.

Ok, so I had an argument with my mate on the day Liverpool beat Chelsea.. being a (hardcore) United fan, I was just rubbing in the defeat to my mate (Chelsea supporter), who later accused me of being a Glory Hunter. This was 2 days ago and I cant get it out of my head.

Its true that I was NOT born in Manchester, nor do I have any connections with the location, but does this take away my right to support my favourite team? When asked why I support United, I answered the blury truth... ''i dont quite know''. All i remember was my dad talking of 2 teams, Liverpool and Manchester, and how everyone in the family must support Liverpool. However as I grew older I was in complete awe of the style of play and never say die attidute Man Utd have. I even recall looking upto Giggs and Scholes (a bit less so with Scholsey because i didnt realise his input when young).

Anyway, my mate then tagged me as a glory hunter and questioned whether I'd support Manchester United if they were a league 2 team. But my answer is YES. If United fell somehow to relegation zone, then i'd still support them... heck id travel to more matches and shout my lungs out for the squad. Its a shame that my mate, and many other people may not believe me though, because to them i'm just another london-er who supports united... and thus 'must be a glory hunter'. Now when United are on a winning streak i feel odd because people may see me as merely supporting the winning team. My support has never gone down, not when Chelsea dominated and not now. The question I ask you all, is Am I a glory hunter?

Ps. your answers are much appreciated, but whatever the majority say, my support for Manchester United will never die and I'l have the same love for my club whatever happens:rolleyes:
**** off. Manchester United has the biggest fan base in the entire world....are we all glory hunters? Geographical factors are largely unimportant in today's global village.
Klinsmannic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Ah well. I could probably find plenty of Utd fans in western London (like Hanwell). What I never get is that because it's London, local is judged to be more strict (presumably because people have a rough idea on the postcodes). So, if you live in Plaistow and you support Chelsea then people will complain, but if you live in another city is doesn't seem to matter so much as long as you are in the city that 'contains' your club. So you could live opposite Goodison Park but support Liverpool and that's not considered the same as my earlier example. Besides, plenty of Arsenal supporters in Lewisham and Southwark. I know, I used to travel daily in that area... What's wrong with Charlton or Crystal Palace?

You'd hope clubs would bother with a local fan base as a 'foundation' but unfortunately very few do. To those that do, and I think Spurs might be one of them, then they should be credited for that. Capitalism seems to get in the way it seems.
I think the London thing is to do with size. NE London is miles apart from Chelsea not only in distance buy also history, income, and culture to a certain extent. Same goes for other parts of the city. Spurs support is reasonably local, but tbh there aren't that many people actually from Tottenham- it's mainly Waltham Forest, Enfield and other parts of Haringey. Quite a few fans from places like Devon and stuff, which seems to get my goat. I don't know why.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Economic Historian 1)
**** off. Manchester United has the biggest fan base in the entire world....are we all glory hunters? Geographical factors are largely unimportant in today's global village.
Spoken like a true glory hunter. Shuddup :unsure:
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Those in other countries dont have local premier league (or even football league) clubs in England, do they?

London has 5 premier league clubs with different successes.
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Spoken like a true glory hunter. Shuddup :unsure:
Lol yes, because I support Manchester United I must be a glory hunter? :rolleyes: Even though I've had a season ticket for the last 4 seasons, and used to live quite close to Manchester when i was younger. You shadddup. lol.
It's your level of support, and the reason why you chose to support the team that determines whether you're are glory hunter or not, not how far you live from the ******* stadium.
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jim-ie)
Those in other countries dont have local premier league (or even football league) clubs in England, do they?

London has 5 premier league clubs with different successes.
Yes, they most certainly do. Get your facts right mate.
Overmars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes. Yes, you are. But do you care? Because you shouldn't IMO.

If you go "rubbing it in" (no, not in that way) to other teams' supporters, of course you're going to get the glory-hunter tag thrown at you. If you can't "get that out of your head" for 2 days, then I suggest you keep the level of banter such that you both enjoy it.
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Before this thread starts I'd like to thank everyone for their inputs (unless you want to waste a thread cursing other teams). I know some of this may sound like an ir-relevant story but I just wish to describe the facts before you all give your thoughts.

Ok, so I had an argument with my mate on the day Liverpool beat Chelsea.. being a (hardcore) United fan, I was just rubbing in the defeat to my mate (Chelsea supporter), who later accused me of being a Glory Hunter. This was 2 days ago and I cant get it out of my head.

Its true that I was NOT born in Manchester, nor do I have any connections with the location, but does this take away my right to support my favourite team? When asked why I support United, I answered the blury truth... ''i dont quite know''. All i remember was my dad talking of 2 teams, Liverpool and Manchester, and how everyone in the family must support Liverpool. However as I grew older I was in complete awe of the style of play and never say die attidute Man Utd have. I even recall looking upto Giggs and Scholes (a bit less so with Scholsey because i didnt realise his input when young).

Anyway, my mate then tagged me as a glory hunter and questioned whether I'd support Manchester United if they were a league 2 team. But my answer is YES. If United fell somehow to relegation zone, then i'd still support them... heck id travel to more matches and shout my lungs out for the squad. Its a shame that my mate, and many other people may not believe me though, because to them i'm just another london-er who supports united... and thus 'must be a glory hunter'. Now when United are on a winning streak i feel odd because people may see me as merely supporting the winning team. My support has never gone down, not when Chelsea dominated and not now. The question I ask you all, is Am I a glory hunter?

Ps. your answers are much appreciated, but whatever the majority say, my support for Manchester United will never die and I'l have the same love for my club whatever happens:rolleyes:
Well, you ARE a glory hunter-surely you realise that already? You support a corporate shell of a football club, a soulless vacuum at its heart, the first to establish the trend of revolting purchases such as £30m for a defender back in 2002 (one who himself admitted to hating the club and what it stood for, I might add). Everybody associated with MUFC is in it for some reason other than love; whether that be reflected glory (the millions of non-Manc fans), a huge paycheck despite hating the club itself as a product of rearing (Rooney, Ferdinand, etc), the prestige of playing for a world recognised marque (Vidic, Carrick) or as a conduit for achieving a very personal mission (Ferguson, Ronaldo). The whole thing disgusts me to be honest, in a way that no other club does, perhaps with the exception of Real Madrid.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think the London thing is to do with size. NE London is miles apart from Chelsea not only in distance buy also history, income, and culture to a certain extent. Same goes for other parts of the city. Spurs support is reasonably local, but tbh there aren't that many people actually from Tottenham- it's mainly Waltham Forest, Enfield and other parts of Haringey. Quite a few fans from places like Devon and stuff, which seems to get my goat. I don't know why.
Yeah 'culture' can more or less dictate the 'perceived' geographical 'territory' of a club, which is why I usually think of the more affluent areas of London being 'Chelsea's' despite a potential blur with distance from Arsenal. Haven't noticed what you said about Spurs and a little surprised tbh (about Devon etc). But I'm guessing the same happens with West Ham with supporters in Essex 'proper'.

I'd be interested if any research went into the concentration of football support in London boroughs and the immediate surroundings just out of curiosity tbh. It would have to look at ethnicity and income I'm guessing. Though you'd have to take into account the available concentration with private accommodation. You know, I'm surprised it hasn't been done, or that I'm not made aware of it.
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, they most certainly do. Get your facts right mate.
What facts?

What are you talking about?

Oh, aye, Wales, hardly China is it?
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nyet)
Well, you ARE a glory hunter-surely you realise that already? You support a corporate shell of a football club, a soulless vacuum at its heart, the first to establish the trend of revolting purchases such as £30m for a defender back in 2002 (one who himself admitted to hating the club and what it stood for, I might add). Everybody associated with MUFC is in it for some reason other than love; whether that be reflected glory (the millions of non-Manc fans), a huge paycheck despite hating the club itself as a product of rearing (Rooney, Ferdinand, etc), the prestige of playing for a world recognised marque (Vidic, Carrick) or as a conduit for achieving a very personal mission (Ferguson, Ronaldo). The whole thing disgusts me to be honest, in a way that no other club does, perhaps with the exception of Real Madrid.
I like the Manc-hatred, but they haven't really done anything they weren't allowed to.

Don't blame the players, blame the game.
charlie[]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

how many games do you go to a season, home and away?
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Overmars)
I like the Manc-hatred, but they haven't really done anything they weren't allowed to.

Don't blame the players, blame the game.
I'm certainly not blaming the players-if you or I were offered 100k a week to don the filthy Manc shirt and kick a footy around for a few hours a day, we'd bite their hands off, regardless of the fact we support Liverpool or Arsenal or whoever-so I certainly don't blame Rooney or Ferdinand et al. I'm just saying that is is that the whole thing is symptomatic of the grotesque nature of the football club, and the lack of any other binding force between the club and those who are attracted to it, other than money, personal ambition, or the desire for reflected glory.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lol yes, because I support Manchester United I must be a glory hunter? :rolleyes: Even though I've had a season ticket for the last 4 seasons, and used to live quite close to Manchester when i was younger. You shadddup. lol.
It's your level of support, and the reason why you chose to support the team that determines whether you're are glory hunter or not, not how far you live from the ******* stadium.
Why do you care if someone calls you something then? It's generally the match going folk like yourself who are first in line to have a go at some of the divvies that populate Old Trafford, Anfield, Emirates and Stamford Bridge these days and I don't blame them one bit.

Liverpool, Manchester united and Arsenal have the biggest fanbases in the country regardless of the bandwagon clingers-on but that doesn't mean there arent thousands upon thousands in the country who only support these three clubs because of their success and thats who Sky have jacked up to rediculous proportions for the last 15 years.
Vintage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Yes.
Arrogant Git
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

I don't know. There's no clear way of defining a glory hunter. You're definitely a plastic fan though. I also find it funny that you think that the two (?) seasons in which Chelsea dominated might have caused your support to fade. Because finishing third and second in the league really counts as wilderness years. Anyway, it's not my problem, but I feel obliged to tell you that you are missing out.

Supporting a football club isn't supporting a football team. You aren't supporting the players so much as the entity that is the club. Supporting a team via television (or biennial pilgrimage to Old Trafford) isn't really supporting a club. You never have the experience of being a part of the club or being able to influence the game. For my club, we've had precious little to shout about - loss of football league status, near oblivion, a string of players who just couldn't be arsed and the most depressing hoofball this side of Macclesfield.

Supporting a team shouldn't be about just picking a side arbitrarily who are doing well. You go to games to watch football (either with parents or friends, or just to watch a match) and gradually a occasional trip becomes a habit becomes an obligation. It's like falling in love. You don't fall in love with someone just because they're pretty. It's just a slow, dawning realisation that you can't really do anything about. Before you know it, you're standing on a terrace in Peterborough or Rochdale on a Tuesday night in December. Any other way of choosing a club is just wrong.

Sure, the Soccer AM generation might be convinced that football is all about the big four, Champions League games on the telly, five second you-tube clips of legendary players, glory chasing fans who demand to sack the manager after two successive defeats and "banter" with their similarly glory chasing mates over whose arbitrarily chosen team beat whose, but I'm not so sure. I'm sure that hugging random strangers after scoring our late, undeserved winner against Stevenage in a freezing stand on a foggy December afternoon meant more to me than United's Champions League win did to your average United fan.

There is no substitute for real, live football - the passionate fans, the various amusing idiosyncrasies of the club that make you smile, the good days and the bad, the hope and the sadness. The sense of connection, the fact that your emotional state is inextricably linked to the success or failure of your team. You don't get that from watching United from a Pub in ******* Putney or Barnet.

Go and watch your local team. Whoever they are. Go and watch a few games. See what it's like. You needn't give up supporting United, but just go and watch. Because I guarantee that after a season of regular attendance at a club, you won't be able to not support them.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nyet)
I'm certainly not blaming the players-if you or I were offered 100k a week to don the filthy Manc shirt and kick a footy around for a few hours a day, we'd bite their hands off, regardless of the fact we support Liverpool or Arsenal or whoever-so I certainly don't blame Rooney or Ferdinand et al. I'm just saying that is is that the whole thing is symptomatic of the grotesque nature of the football club, and the lack of any other binding force between the club and those who are attracted to it, other than money, personal ambition, or the desire for reflected glory.
No, that's not what I meant. The "don't blame the players, blame the game" was probably the most confusing metaphor I could've picked, but by 'players' I meant Man Utd as a club.

Man Utd haven't done anything wrong. They're allowed to pay whatever they want to whoever they want. If you're saying that they should only be able to spend a certain percentage of their turnover or that you're disillusioned with how commercialised it all is, you've gotta hate the guys who allow this to happen. For Man Utd, they've created a brand name and all the rest of it because they can. You say that you don't blame the players for agreeing to £100k profits. Well then, surely, you can't blame the club for agreeing to £m's in sponsorship deals, merchandising, widening the fan base etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (71)
4.7%
Uncertainty around my education (234)
15.49%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (165)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (214)
14.16%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (66)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (88)
5.82%
Loneliness (134)
8.87%
Financial worries (52)
3.44%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (68)
4.5%
Exposure to negative news/social media (72)
4.77%
Lack of real life entertainment (78)
5.16%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (130)
8.6%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (139)
9.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed