I'm not from Manchester, so am I a Glory Hunter?

Watch
brapboybrap
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nyet)
To be fair, if someone has a spare ticket knocking around, you may as well go to the game; its an experience, at least. I've been to many a premier league/La Liga/Serie A stadium I might not otherwise have visited thanks to similar situations.

Also, thanks for rep, whoever that was. If you let me know, I'll reciprocate
It was me.
PremierPotters
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Here's my opinion.

YES you are a glory hunter, despite admitting living far away and having zero connections to the area, you have claimed not to be, I cannot see how. You claim that if they were a lower league side you would support them, I highly doubt this, I could not see you having chosen Crewe or Rochdale. One of the reasons so many clubs are sturggling and there is a huge financial gap between the prem and other leagues is because people chose to gloryhunt and not shot their local team the support they need.

Also, although there are a few exceptions, glory hunters will never feel that affinity and relationship with their team that local fans do, I love Stoke City, I love the area and there is a sense of belonging with is show at matches, how can somebody who lives far away from their team feel this.

One last point is that I got called a glory hunter when we went up last season, despite supporting us through thick and thin, and attending nearly every match for about 6 years, if I am a glory hunter then you most certainly are :P
Arrogant Git
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by brapboybrap)
Everytime I have been to Old Trafford the atmosphere has been very good. It is hard to get songs going at big grounds as the singers won't all be together and day trippers will spoil the atmosphere. Man United also have one of the noisest away supports in the country to make up for this.
If you want a quiet atmosphere go to one of the Old Firm grounds. Terrible.
Maybe they have to be winning :p: (it was a champions league game)
PremierPotters
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jim-ie)
Is that why you lot sing nursary rhymes about City for 90 minutes? which tbf I heard from a good mate whos a swamp regular.

You're having a laugh, sure, United and Liverpool is a heated rivalry, no doubt about it! Doesn't come close to so many rivalries in Europe though, not even a fraction of it. Comparing it to Barca/Madrid can't be done, thats more than a football or inter city rivalry. Its like comparing it to the Old Firm, its politics, history, religion, communities, historical grieviances that arent related to football.

Is also funny that Manchester united fans take the piss how Manchester City fans say "City" in the Mancunian accent. :woo: :woo: :woo:
great sig... Robinho, she said no
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If St.Johnstone aren't playing, then yes I occasionally go and see an entertaining game with a great atmosphere. How is that glory hunting?
Because you say the same thing with me and Celtic. Thats exactly what I do, when City arent playing.

Can't have it both ways, you've once again made yourself look like a bit of a pleb.
GeorgEGNT
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Support your local team. End of.

Have some pride in where you come from!
Jim-ie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PremierPotters)
great sig... Robinho, she said no
I just hope he doesn't try to impress the birds by dancing like that.
PremierPotters
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jim-ie)
I just hope he doesn't try to impress the birds by dancing like that.
Doesn't need to impress them really, a Ford Transit is good enough.
Lachlan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How many games have you been too? You sounds like a glory hunter tbh.
None, but not because I wouldn't want to due to lack of resources to go to them. I am fully aware that I look like a glory hunter but at the end of the day the only way I will be proven not to be is when Man U start doing badly, I hope that is not for a long time.

I dislike Scottish football and the monotony of the old firm and so I look to the English game, who else am I to choose to support from England? I have no real connection with any club, pretty much whoever I chose I would be considered a glory hunter.
nicoking
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Arrogant Git)
Before you know it, you're standing on a terrace in Peterborough or Rochdale on a Tuesday night in December. Any other way of choosing a club is just wrong.
I would give anything to be going to these grounds regularly again! Nail on head with your whole post though. Give me real football over Super Grand Slam Sunday any day of the week. The amount of Man United fans in the south is unreal. Support your local team, have some pride in the area you come from.

Not long ago we were playing the likes of Hull, Wigan and Stoke (I remember a particularly sweet 3-2 victory at the Britannia). Since then, we have gone in opposite directions but I will still be supporting the U's when the good times come around again. I've far more respect for fans who have a team (just the one, you can't support two or three teams, it's plain wrong) and stick with them rather than someone who picks a team that wins a lot and watches them on telly.
Stu Laverty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I love how lower-league fans claim to be more loyal and are much more elitist than Premiership fans. It's adorable.
hxmjam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Who cares who you support? What does you supporting a football team actually mean in the grand scheme of things? Nothing, football teams are just like any other business who love suckers like you who think they are 'loyal fans' buying shirts, tickets etc. Seriously, get some perspective.
brapboybrap
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It was me.
It wasn't really me but thanks for the rep.
sebas_back
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Liverpool and United's rivalry is borne out of being the two most successful English clubs combined with the fact that Scousers and Mancs dislike each other. United and Everton have (almost) similar levels of antipathy towards one another. City and United have a rivalry borne of cultural divisions, one of which is/was religion, another of which is geographical division of Manchester. Certainly it is a more ingrained (and longer standing) rivalry. Added to which, the Manchester Derby relegated United. It's only been relatively recently that the main derby has become the match against Liverpool.

I'm willing to concede, however, that my statement was somewhat rash. I stand by my point, though, that United's main derby is City, and Liverpool's is Everton.
City-peddled ********. Know your history. Dennis Law did NOT relegate United.

I went to Old Trafford once - someone I knew had a ticket going spare - and it was eerie just how quiet it was. I've been to games with a hundreth of the crowd with more noise. I suppose it's hard to chant with your mouth full of prawn sandwich in the hospitality suite.
Well, you've embarrassed yourself there. I'd turn 606 off tbh.
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lachlan)
None, but not because I wouldn't want to due to lack of resources to go to them. I am fully aware that I look like a glory hunter but at the end of the day the only way I will be proven not to be is when Man U start doing badly, I hope that is not for a long time.

I dislike Scottish football and the monotony of the old firm and so I look to the English game, who else am I to choose to support from England? I have no real connection with any club, pretty much whoever I chose I would be considered a glory hunter.
Well - it just seems a bit weird that you'd choose to support Man United without how good they are or what they win having any bearing on it.
You could have chosen anyone! Why did you choose Man U?

And you wouldn't be considered a glory hunter if you chose to support a ***** team....
Lachlan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lozz2601)
Well - it just seems a bit weird that you'd choose to support Man United without how good they are or what they win having any bearing on it.
You could have chosen anyone! Why did you choose Man U?

And you wouldn't be considered a glory hunter if you chose to support a ***** team....
I actually stated that their style of football and their ability at it was precisely what drew me to them in the first place as a 5 year old. My point now is that 12/13 years later I support them because they are my team not because of the way they play. I originally was a "glory hunter", but many 5 year olds are, I can remember many of my friends supporting whoever happened to be top of the table at the time but these days I object to being labelled as such. I didn't start supporting Chelsea when the were beating everyone for example.
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I actually stated that their style of football and their ability at it was precisely what drew me to them in the first place as a 5 year old. My point now is that 12/13 years later I support them because they are my team not because of the way they play. I originally was a "glory hunter", but many 5 year olds are, I can remember many of my friends supporting whoever happened to be top of the table at the time but these days I object to being labelled as such. I didn't start supporting Chelsea when the were beating everyone for example.
So the correct conclusion is probably that you were a glory hunter when you were five, but not so much now!
brapboybrap
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You are one though. You chose to support them for glory, therefore you are a glory hunter.
Lachlan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You are one though. You chose to support them for glory, therefore you are a glory hunter.
I was a glory hunter, past tense. These days their success has no bearing on my support.

Are you from Methil as in Fife Methil, "pure MYT lawd" Methil?
Jim-ie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We should keep in mind that outside of England people were fed nothing but United and Liverpool, even some sport shops stocked nothing but Old Firm, United and Liverpool tops, maybe the odd Newcastle top, and now the "top 4". Proof, the amount of johnny come lately Chelsea supporters in Belfast who were calling them Rangers' sister team 15 years ago or had barely heard of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (77)
4.73%
Uncertainty around my education (250)
15.37%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (179)
11%
Lack of purpose or motivation (229)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (73)
4.49%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (95)
5.84%
Loneliness (140)
8.6%
Financial worries (58)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (73)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (80)
4.92%
Lack of real life entertainment (85)
5.22%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (140)
8.6%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (148)
9.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise