what does it mean to graduate with honors?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
CSI_HIRO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
does it mean something like you gota get a 55% in all modules? :woo:
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
First of all, it's honours (unless you're American, which you may be)

The honours classification is, as follows

First (usually 70% or more)
2:1 - 60-70
2:2 - 50-60
3 - 40-50

With a 2:1 and first being "good" honours degrees.

May expand more later
shockcat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
what does it mean to graduate with honors...I will expand:

ultimately the prolitarian scum with whom you study must pay homage to you when you are in their vicinity.
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by River85)

3 - 40-50

May expand more later
do majority of people get a 2:1 ? and that means they only got 60-70% ?
Walkerslaw
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That is just the grading system, what in particular does "honours" mean/imply? are all passed degree courses with honours for example?
Mos Def
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by menaa-x)
Uni work is obviously more difficult in terms of scoring marks compared to A-levels where the top students normally get 80-100%. In math/science papers a fair few do get grades in the top percentiles, but as soon as we go onto something artsy, it is very hard for students to achieve 80-100%'s

And erm I heard/read somewhere that apparently you do not pass with honours if you fail one module?
adilmorrison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's hardly a case for only... It requires hard work... 15% get a first (someone correct me if I'm wrong...)
Αξιολογος
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Basically, honours, as River said, is where you graduate with a classmark attached to your degree. That is to say a 1st, 2.1, 2.2, or a 3rd. To achieve this, one has to graduate with at least 40% overall. How your uni works this out varies from institution to instition. For example, at Cambridge, it is all dependent on the score you achieve in finals, at other unis coursework may come into it.

The only way one can graduate (i.e not fail) with honours is to get what's called an 'ordinary' degree, where the examiners judge that you do not deserve to fail, but that you don't deserve a third either. This can sometimes be because of illness, etc. Genrally though, for you degree to be 'worth' anything, you need honours.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
University is not like school. Yes, there possibly has been grade inflation in the past few years in higher education as well as futher education but, at university, you don't get 90% for just stringing a few sentences together. 65% is still a very good standard of work and it's very rare to achieve higher that 72-75% (in the arts subjects certainly, the science subjects to a lesser extent).

(Original post by Walkerslaw)
That is just the grading system, what in particular does "honours" mean/imply? are all passed degree courses with honours for example?
No, you can also get a basic pass (a degree without honours). This is usually for those who don't pass enough credits or don't score as highly in the credits they pass.

See the wiki aticle for a more detailed explanation

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...lassifications
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As well as what has been said above, to get an Honours degree you need to pass the vast majority of all your modules, even your first year ones. To quote my course's handbook:
360 credits = This is considered the norm (having gained 120 credits per year)
340 or 350 credits = You can still achieve an honours classification
320 or 330 credits = You can achieve only a PASS degree
<320 credits = Fail (there are not enough credits to achieve a pass.
In other words, to get an honours degree you must have a minimum of 340 credits, and an overall percentage of 40% (not counting the first year, in most unis).
Jimmy Jazz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can tell you're still at school.
Achieving 60-70% requires a lot of effort.
e_clark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
different universitys differ, some you don't get the honours tag if you have ever failed a module - different unis set different requirements though, have a look in google
Vincente
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Honours degree means you just passed a certain number of modules at my federal university. To get an honours degree within the UoL you need to pass 11/12 modules. Once you achieve this they average out your year marks, apply the weightings for each year and give you your degree classification. If you get less than 11 modules, then you only get an ordinary degree or you spend a year out to resit that module.
Vincente
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, although it varies amongst institutions, I mean over 70% of UCL students last year got a 2:1+ degree but somewhere like Hertforshire, it would be lower. Achieving 60+% isin't necessarily too hard if you have a certain degree of academic ability and put in some hard work. But from the 68%+ mark it is very difficult. But, this is for the humanities/arts though, it is slightly easier to score higher marks like this in maths.
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Also, some courses are simply not honours degrees, and won't award honours no matter how well you do - but these are rare.
CSI_HIRO
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by River85)

3 - 40-50

May expand more later
erm no. thats not what i meant. Evrybody graduates with one of the above grades but to have a title saying

e.g. Harry Potter Bsc with Honours

you do have to score a certain mark in all your modules. if you fail one module you cannot pass with honours. :woo:
River85
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by CSI_HIRO)
erm no. thats not what i meant. Evrybody graduates with one of the above grades but to have a title saying

e.g. Harry Potter Bsc with Honours

you do have to score a certain mark in all your modules. if you fail one module you cannot pass with honours. :woo:
I know it's now, that's why I said "I'll expand on this later" and then did, including providing a link. You do usually need to pass all modules (some unis allow you to fail one first year modules). It can vary.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by CSI_HIRO)
No they don't. The first, upper second, lower second and third thing is an honours classification, not some sort of mark for your degree. If you do not get a degree with honours, then you simply have what is called an ordinary degree, which is lower than an honours third in academic standing, but does not have its own mark or grade. The nearest thing to a mark in an ordinary degree is an award 'with distinction' or whatever.

This is often blurred as, today, most people get honours degrees.

Depends on the university and indeed on the degree awarding body. Obviously the work within guidelines, but there's plenty of room for discretion.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (181)
38.03%
Take autumn exams (147)
30.88%
Look for a job (16)
3.36%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.41%
Take a year out (83)
17.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.88%

Watched Threads