The Student Room Group

MSc Management: Lancaster vs. Warwick

Hey guys,

I am an international student from Slovakia so I would be very grateful for some advice regarding my situation - I have applied for the following MSc Management cources:

LUMS, Lancaster University (offer set)

WBS, Warwick University (offer set)

Cass Business School (offer set)

and also for a MPhil in Management at Judge, Cambridge University (pending)

I am not sure if I stand a chance at Cambridge and offers from the rest are expiring soon - I am wondering what would be the best option out of the bunch (outside of Cambridge of course).

The general consensus seems to be the WBS, but Lancaster is cheaper by some 5k pounds and somehow it seems to me more "frendlier" that Warwick - but this is just a gut feeling, based just on browsing the school's websites so it's completely irrational :smile: .Even though I would have preffered London as place to stay, I think I have ruled out Cass as it's just too expensive for me at the moment...

Thanks a lot for your opinions,

t.
Reply 1
Warwick is your best bet here even if it's 5k more expensive. The Warwick brand name is a leading brand name in the UK and internationally. It is UK's top 5 university and it's business school (WBS) is one of the very best in the world with rich and influential network in several countries. Warwick grads are also more sought after and are paid higher than LUMS grads are. Your 5k difference would be returned to you a few months you leave Warwick. If you can afford to attend Warwick, go for it. If not, LUMS wouldn't be a bad choice, however.
Warwick. Lancaster does have a good rep as a b-school, but it doesnt have the reputation that Warwick has to play on, in general because Lancaster as university isnt great. WBS does seem to be firmly established as a top 5 business school in the UK, just after LBS, Said, Judge, and then WBS with the likes of Cranfield, Lancaster, Cass, Manchester on the same level as Warwick, but perhaps just behind. To be fair no UK universities, bar LBS can really compete with the US for brand name and world wide recognition, so in my view you should go with the general university with the better rep, because all the business schools you mentioned are well regarded in that area in the UK.
Reply 3
Dude,
Cass Business school's Msc Management programme has a splendid course structure which is lacking in the Warwick's course..
It is clearly mentioned in the Warwick's site that they prefer Students from Social sciences and non mathematical backgrounds..
Also,
CASS is best for Strategy, finance / Leadership domains
Also, CASS has a compulsory Module called Advanced practices of Management :Advanced Practice of Management

On this module Students work at management level for the organisation Cass Management Consultants (CMC). The mission statement of CMC is to develop world class managers of the future. It is an organisation dedicated to selecting and creating great managers for employers of managers. This module explores the extent to which management is treated as a profession and the extent to which students plan to treat it is a profession.

Also, Msc Management Programme of Warwick is relatively new and is not ranked..

Anyways, the choice for you is only between CASS or Warwick..
Lancaster is known only for its MBA.. I have contacted many students studying the course and everyone has the same opinion - Close you Eyes and Go to CASS..and the Order of preferences are :
LSE , LBS
Cambridge
Imperial(only for Entreprenuership) , CASS
Warwick...

However, Warwick is extremely famous in the Marketing domains..
Reply 4
By the way, I was in the same dilemma few weeks back.. Then finalised CASS..
I too have the same admits..
Reply 6
hey hatsunil, thanks for your input - yeah I was considering Cass quite seriously, but the cost of the programme combined with living expenses in London are a bit over the top for me right now...I'm probably going to go for WBS and hope for Cambridge...enjoy the Cass programme though, should be great...:smile:
Lol, is this supposed to be a joke?

You're actually comparing Warwick to CASS and Lancaster?

That is actually rude.

Warwick obviously.
Reply 8
You can't compare how prestigious Warwick is, to those under average unis (bar cambridge). Warwick is like a million times stronger than Lancaster and CASS.
Original post by ZSK2014
You can't compare how prestigious Warwick is, to those under average unis (bar cambridge). Warwick is like a million times stronger than Lancaster and CASS.

CASS is actually in the same league as Warwick. Do some research and you will see that CASS is extremely well regarded for MBA programmes. I'd give Warwick the edge, but only just.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending