This discussion is closed.
Ramfa
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I want to become a doctor only one Problem and that problem is my grades and my past reports weren't good because i have been in alot of trouble and i think that will affect me from becoming one. i am in year 11 and i have changed. My predicted Grades are the following:

English-D
Maths-D
Triple Science-Biology-b
Physics-A*
Chemistry-c
R.e-D
ICT-U
Geograpy-d
History-D
Unregistered.
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
1) nobody cares about ur reports
2) predicted grades for gcse's mean nothing. work hard, get a couple of a's in sciences, b in eng lang and maths..then ur fine
3) show ur teachers u've changed, do all work to a high standard, score high in mocks/tests etc

basically, just work for it coz uve got the time, ur only in yr 11, if u was in yr 12/13 then it wud be a major concern. if u set ur mind to it right now then ull have no problems
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yea, make sure you treat the mocks like the real ones. Even if you find it hard, at least you will face the real reality of the GCSE exams. If you aren't bothered and don't even try, you won't know how much you need to revise when it comes to the real ones. Of course, you don't have to work all the time but do try and attend any after-school classes and if there's something you don't know, ask!

AS Levels are twice as hard though. It's a much bigger step from GCSE to AS than from AS to A2.
Unregistered1
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Yea, make sure you treat the mocks like the real ones. Even if you find it hard, at least you will face the real reality of the GCSE exams. If you aren't bothered and don't even try, you won't know how much you need to revise when it comes to the real ones. Of course, you don't have to work all the time but do try and attend any after-school classes and if there's something you don't know, ask!

AS Levels are twice as hard though. It's a much bigger step from GCSE to AS than from AS to A2.
I disagree on that one..the step up to AS wasn't too hard..but the step from AS to A2 is definitely a bigger jump. In addition, I have a friend who got C and D's for his mock GCSE's and ended up getting 5A* 5A in his real GCSE's. So don't believe the dude above..I don't think he knows what he's on about. Your mocks are just a way of kicking you up the ass. Besides what is done is done..just make sure you work hard for the next 5 months though..it'll be worth it in the end
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I have to disagree - as when you apply to university the admissions tutors will only really have your GCSEs that you have taken unless you put your AS results on your form. Usually the normal matriculation requirements state that you need Bs in Sciences, Eng Lang and Maths - and so with those predicted grades you are unluikely to stand out against many other well qualified applicants for such a competitive degree course. You really do need to have As, Bs and maybe one or two Cs - but no less. You then need to consider about work experience and extra curricula activites which are also deciding factors for whether the university will call you for interview. You will then need to get ABB/AAB for A Level which isn as easy as it sounds (that is if you get an offer).
Unregisterer
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
is the minimum in medicine at gcse just B's in science maths and english. considering say you got A's and B's at AS level in the relevant subjects , will you still get a offer??
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered1)
I disagree on that one..the step up to AS wasn't too hard..but the step from AS to A2 is definitely a bigger jump. In addition, I have a friend who got C and D's for his mock GCSE's and ended up getting 5A* 5A in his real GCSE's. So don't believe the dude above..I don't think he knows what he's on about. Your mocks are just a way of kicking you up the ass. Besides what is done is done..just make sure you work hard for the next 5 months though..it'll be worth it in the end
Think how we felt on the old system - straight from gcse to full a-level and as all my subjects were modular we had our first exams within 2 months of starting a-levels. It's much easier these days.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (34)
13.88%
Virtual campus tours/open days (53)
21.63%
Live streaming events (24)
9.8%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (24)
9.8%
A uni comparison tool (57)
23.27%
An in-person event when available (53)
21.63%