The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rachhyyyy
hahahaaa.... u cud never hunt a horse round ehre without shoes they wud have no feet left. i have a thouroughbred and her feet arnt bad... white feet are generally weaker and she has one white sock and that is her "problem" foot. She has correctvie shoeing.. where basically she has the shoe at a slight angle so that her foot is placed at a better angle because her ligaments are a bit ****** from wokring too young which has made her "ankle" joint lean outwards putting pressure on the joint. now she has her special shoeing she is completely sound but i had lameness problems with her for 2 years before we worked out what the problem was so for me.. the shoes have been a lifesaver.
and yeaah.. u wud need shoes for studs for things like x country.
i think shoes r overused tho... u see all these little poies that just get plodded around roads every now and agen and geenrally only ridden in schools and fields.. they dont exactly need shoes and shoes fot them are prob worse than just having no shoes at all.
farriers r very important tho.. havingf yr horse shod.. is a bit like an mot.. the farrier knows more about horrses feet than a vet and they notice things like laminitus WAY before an owner wud which allows the owner take the right action before the laminitus gets bad.
i cant think of any other points..
apart from the rediculous cost of shoeing horses!!

Well the horse I know is hunted in North Wales and ridden in Snowdonia. Dunno how that compares in terms of surface, don't know enough about these things. I did go on a trek once in Somerset and those horses were barefoot and I genuinely couldn't understand how their feet weren't in shreds, but they were fine.
I think good shoeing can probably be great, but bad shoeing can be really bad, if that makes sense.
The barefoot trimmer I have spoken to says he basically looks at how the horse uses it's feet and then trims to correct problems. Sounds really good to me, and it definitely works for these horses. The horses still get their feet trimmed every 6 weeks, so they get a thorough checkup then, and this guy really knows what he's talking about and looking for- although I have no idea whether he's the exception or the rule.
Reply 581
Emikoo
No need to apologise for rant. This is what I want to read because I really don't know a lot about the subject.

The author is Robert Cook. Qualified vet from RVC. From 1969-1977 he was at the Animal Health Trusts equine research station and has been researching the mouth, ear, nose and throat of the horse for 48 years. He is also the chairman of The Bitless Bridle Inc.

wow! 48 years- ok see now I respect the dude! However I would be careful with siding with it- my vets are very tradionalist when it comes to this type of thing and I know alot of equine vets will be- we have a back lady come and see some of the liveries at the yard and our vet was out at the same time as her once and it wasn't a pleasant encounter. The back lady is very pro doing as little as possible with the horse etc and she advises all her clients to go as natural as possible but the vet disagrees saying that horses have always been kept bitted and shod and that they don't need physio therapy. There is a real conflict in the equine industry over some equine physio stuff at the moment. Personally I'm not a fan of our particular backlady (although she is better that one we had to start with that used to put crystals on the horses back! :rolleyes: ) just because she can't explain why she's doing things and that just goes against the grain. But personally I would be careful if your being interviewed by and older equine vet- because some of them have very strong views on the matter- but I do agree its a very interesting debate!:smile:

Lucy
That's true- you should hear my vet on the subject of animal chiropractic...
Reply 583
i had a horse whispererer see my horse after the farier and 2 vets cudnt work out what was wrong.
BOTH the farrier and vet sed it was her front right leg.
the horse whisoperer (i odnt no if any of u have ever herd or seen a horse whisperer) but anyway basicallly she "tunes" in the the horse and the horse "tells" her where the pain is.
i didnt beleive in it AT ALL.. i thought it was a load of rubbish but one of my friends has always had the horse whisperer and beleives its calms the horses and she can find any problems.
so i took my horse up, and the lady came in the stable and she like put her hands on my horse.. and did some stuff... kinda like a massage to relax her and then my horse started stamping her back left (her white sock) it was REALLY starange.. my horse was proper stamping her back her leg and getting annoyd as if telling her that was where the pain was.
The lady sed that her back was out of place so she put it back in place, she sed about her ligaments being overstretched and overworked at a young age which has made her back fetlock at this funnny angle which was putting pressure on it and causing her pain. She laso sed that the vet and farrier thought it was the front right leg because she had been compensating for the pain in the back leg making it seem like she was lame in front.
she suggested the corrective shoeing,.,,, i told my farrier ( a very traditional devon farriet who has done it for years and his father did it before him) he told me it was a load of rubbish and that she was wrong but he sed he wud do it and give it a go becuase he wanted to help me and get my horse sound.
happy to say she is now sound and she still has this corrective shoeing,
very strange ino.
any of u had any experience with horse whisperers?
Reply 584
Rachhyyyy
i had a horse whispererer see my horse after the farier and 2 vets cudnt work out what was wrong.
BOTH the farrier and vet sed it was her front right leg.
the horse whisoperer (i odnt no if any of u have ever herd or seen a horse whisperer) but anyway basicallly she "tunes" in the the horse and the horse "tells" her where the pain is.
i didnt beleive in it AT ALL.. i thought it was a load of rubbish but one of my friends has always had the horse whisperer and beleives its calms the horses and she can find any problems.
so i took my horse up, and the lady came in the stable and she like put her hands on my horse.. and did some stuff... kinda like a massage to relax her and then my horse started stamping her back left (her white sock) it was REALLY starange.. my horse was proper stamping her back her leg and getting annoyd as if telling her that was where the pain was.
The lady sed that her back was out of place so she put it back in place, she sed about her ligaments being overstretched and overworked at a young age which has made her back fetlock at this funnny angle which was putting pressure on it and causing her pain. She laso sed that the vet and farrier thought it was the front right leg because she had been compensating for the pain in the back leg making it seem like she was lame in front.
she suggested the corrective shoeing,.,,, i told my farrier ( a very traditional devon farriet who has done it for years and his father did it before him) he told me it was a load of rubbish and that she was wrong but he sed he wud do it and give it a go becuase he wanted to help me and get my horse sound.
happy to say she is now sound and she still has this corrective shoeing,
very strange ino.
any of u had any experience with horse whisperers?

Yeah our back lady sorta does this type of thing and I know a few of the liveries swear by it . With our lady though you can't touch the horse for a week after she's treated it. A friend of mine had her horse done a while ago and she was unlevel behind and apparently needed treatment for three weeks- and yeah ok she did manipulate her back etc but its probs the fact that the horse had 3 weeks off that did the trick. Your case is different though as it seemed to work straight away- and wierd things like that do happen and defy the text books. Farriers are funny though- ours is a fantastic but he knows it and likes to tell us frequently how amazing he is! But as someone said earlier if you get a good farrier you do what ever you can to keep them!
Reply 585
http://www.hoofrehab.com/index.htm ; This is Pete Rameys Website for anyone who wants to look at more info on Barefoot horses
Emikoo
Howdy guys! Just finished working over the weekend.
Gosh whats this St Georges University thing that tsr is advertising on this page then? Finding it hard to understand from their website how the application process works or entry requirements... Hmm..

Oh and I need your guys opinions on an article I read in veterinary times today. I didn't have a clue about this, but did you know that horse-shoes are actually bad for the horse? The article says loads of things about the shoes faultering the skeleton, stopping to feet expand and contract, stops shock absorbance, is the major cause for laminitis and navicular disease. Infact it is wanting to educate all horse owners to stop using horse-shoes and bits (didn;t know anything about the bits as it was in a former article). I never knew horse-shoes were such a major issue in the equine world... And if this article is correct and horse-shoes are causing all these horrible diseases and preventing the horse growing normally why on earth do we still have them???

Discuss

I read in my local news paper (!) all about this subject. If a horse is on the right diet etc they can lead perfectly normal lives without being shod. Really though horses managed fine without shoes. I suspect that because horses were used during the Victorian times when they only ever saw cobbles and had poor diets (due to lack of knowledge) they had hooves which were in poor condition and therefore were shod to improve this (stop cracks etc). Really I'm not an equine expert! I did a week w/e at a stables and that was a couple of years ago.

I have never heard of the Leonard brothers??? I must have missed something! :tongue:

x
Reply 587
OMG you never heard of vets in practice???????????
x_Bex_x
OMG you never heard of vets in practice???????????

I've heard of it... Never watched it! I don't really watch any television (sad, I know!) and my opinion of these vet shows is that they display the nice bits about being a vet and don't represent the true nature of the job. Plus even if I did want to watch it my non vetty siblings would complain! What channel is it on anyway?

x
Reply 589
Maybe before your time, lol! I was absolutely hooked on it, and it gave me hope - if Trude Mostue could qualify, maybe I was in with a shot LOLOL!! *miaow!*
Sologirl
Maybe before your time, lol! I was absolutely hooked on it, and it gave me hope - if Trude Mostue could qualify, maybe I was in with a shot LOLOL!! *miaow!*

Haha, yer. Think I was the perfect age for it. And of course even further back, Vet School. I really loved that too. Joe and Emma were always my faves :biggrin:
Sologirl

Yeah! I just googled it - I was 5 when it started! I was more into the SSPCA program! Btw did you here about the SSPCA/RSPCA fued? The RSPCA are campaigning in Scotland and people give money thinking it helps Scottish animals and it doesn't. The SSPCA then have trouble getting funds together. We got a leaflet through the door. I personally think that RSPCA should stop getting money from Scotland because it really isn't fair :no:

x
Reply 592
Its wasn't any where near as namby pamby as animal hospital, it showed all aspects of the first few years for new grads, I loved it and was gutted when it finished, it was one of the things that started me out on this path, then as i got older I realised just how much I really wanted it, the good the bad and the ugly parts.
Reply 593
Aww Emma and Joe.....I wish they were still together, they were the best. But the Leonard brothers sooo hot! I met Keith and Steve at Vetsim a few years ago, and I was in awe! Vetschool DEF the best program- and Future Vet I agree with what you say about a lot of these programs but vet school really did show the ups and downs. Anyone remember Trudes first palpation of a cow...she got absolutely covered in diarrhoea! Bless her! She gave me hope too :wink:
x_Bex_x
Its wasn't any where near as namby pamby as animal hospital, it showed all aspects of the first few years for new grads, I loved it and was gutted when it finished, it was one of the things that started me out on this path, then as i got older I realised just how much I really wanted it, the good the bad and the ugly parts.

Me too, although I have to admit to loving animal hospital too. I have a video of the best bits somewhere....am I alone in this?
Reply 595
Nope I've just been searching for Vets in Practice online- no surprises its unavailable :frown: Ohhhh I really want to see it again!!
schmel86
Nope I've just been searching for Vets in Practice online- no surprises its unavailable :frown: Ohhhh I really want to see it again!!

We should start a campaign to get them to re-run it on UK gold or something!!
Reply 597
oh I did love animal hospital is was just totally unrealistic, and you could have used it to sweeten your tea!
x_Bex_x

You know. I was just sitting down stairs thinking about that very thought. When did I know I wanted to be a vet. The anwser is I really don't know! I think I have always wanted to do it. Definately by third year it was a fim desicion that I was going to be a vet but I remember being young and wating to be a vet. Hmmmm.....

x
xFuture_Vetx

I have never heard of the Leonard brothers??? I must have missed something! :tongue:

x

me neither

I didn't wat to be a vet whan I was younger - I acctually wanted to be a medic, because I loved casualty!

Latest

Trending

Trending