This discussion is closed.
Martina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Pete,

[q3]> > > The follow up question is usually: and how many when written base 6?[/q3]
[q1]> base[/q1]
[q2]> > n?[/q2]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > when written base 6?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Ack, that's a bit ambiguous isn't it. I guess there are two potential questions you can answer if[/q1]
[q1]> you had the desire to.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Sir, thou are a mathematician, and a Cambridge one at that, so thou must be precise.

[q1]> 1) Consider the number 500! where 500 is base 10, now write that number in base 6. How many zeros[/q1]
[q1]> does it end with? ( Ans = min[ factors of 2 in 500![/q1]
[q1]> factors of 3 in 500!] ) )[/q1]
[q1]> 2) Consider the number 500! where 500 is base 6 (so = (36*5)! =180! base[/q1]
[q1]> 10). How many zeros does it end with when written base 10?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Pete[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> p.s. A primer about bases (you may well have met the concept but not the name) can be found at the[/q1]
[q1]> very useful Mathworld http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BaseNumber.html[/q1]

Thanks a lot. I´ll check it out when I get back to Prague.

M.
Pete Bartlett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"martina" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> Sir, thou are a mathematician, and a Cambridge one at that, so thou must[/q1]
be
[q1]> precise. [/q1]

No, no. /Undergraduates/ have to be precise in their work. Lecturers are allowed, as the saying
goes, to say A, write B and intend C whilst the correct answer is of course D. [1]

No idea where postgrads fit into this hierachy.

Pete

[1] Addendum to the above : In Cambridge (and probably elsewhere) the example sheet will say "prove
that it is E" and the supervior will insist it's F.
Martina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Pete Bartlett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> "martina" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q2]> > Sir, thou are a mathematician[/q2]

I´ve now remembered it should be ´thou art´.

, and a Cambridge one at that, so thou must
[q1]> be[/q1]
[q2]> > precise. [/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> No, no. /Undergraduates/ have to be precise in their work.[/q1]

I´ve always thought there´s no justice in this world.

Lecturers are
[q1]> allowed, as the saying goes, to say A, write B and intend C whilst the correct answer is of[/q1]
[q1]> course D. [1][/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Oh that´s the proverbial maths professor with a lost umbrella in each hand, isn´t it?

[q1]> No idea where postgrads fit into this hierachy.[/q1]

Stick to good old undergraduate precision please.

M.
Chris Share
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:44:42 +0100s, martina([email protected]) said...
[q1]>Chris,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> >> I remember seeing a *very* similar question on a STEP paper sometime...[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >really? Our maths teacher gave it to as an ´easyish´ problem. She always said everything was[/q2]
[q2]>> >easy even if she couldn´t solve it. [/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> LOL. It is pretty easuy though, you just need to think a bit.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>yes, I even managed to work this one out. <proud look> Many people in my class had trouble[/q1]
[q1]>understanding it though. Maybe it had something to do with the way I explained it. (Whoever solved[/q1]
[q1]>the problem first had to explain the solution to the rest of the class. Given my fast-diminishing[/q1]
[q1]>ability to string together a reasonable sentence in Czech, no wonder that most people didn´t[/q1]
[q1]>understand it even after 20 minutes of my arduous efforts).[/q1]

Oh, poor you. I used to have such fun at A-level - lots of ppl askling me to explain stuff. I
must've done about 10times as much of other ppl's revision as my own then And look on the
bright side - you may be losing your eloquence in Czech, buty at least you can still talk english
well. English is the only language I can manage more than a monosyllabic grunt, and even then not
much more.

[q1]>Oh thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought that was another instance of computery gobbledygook. [/q1]

Oi - it's jargon, not gobbledegook. The difference is jargon does mean something...

[q1]>I haven´t done much really. Sunday was a complete disaster. We flew from Prague to Zurich, waited[/q1]
[q1]>there for 3 hours for a connecting flight to Lisbon. When we got to Portugal, we had no clue what[/q1]
[q1]>to do, so we went to our gate. Just to make sure that we had done the right thing, I asked an[/q1]
[q1]>American guy if he was also in transit, and he said yes, from Barcelona, and he had to check in[/q1]
[q1]>again when he got to Lisbon. Race to the check-in desk.You aren´t on the flight, says the woman at[/q1]
[q1]>the desk. To cut a long story short, we missed our flight (luckily there was another one just an[/q1]
[q1]>hour later). They changed the gate from which we were supposed to be flying 3 times in one hour.[/q1]
[q1]>Complete chaos. But Madeira´s very pretty, when we were touching down the town of Funchal looked as[/q1]
[q1]>if it were built on the edge of a rainforest. It´s built on a very steep mountainside, and is very[/q1]
[q1]>green. This is probably the most picturesque holiday resort I´ve visited![/q1]

Heh, nice The most picturesque place I've been recently is the suffolk coast, though some people
would say Cambridge is far nicer And judging by the last term, it's definitely a holiday resort
[q1] Bloody tourists.....[/q1]

[q1]> I might Poisson my life with stats today though.[/q1]

Sure that's a good idea? Sounds a bit fishy to me...

[q1]>I´m suffering from the exam-pressure-withdrawal syndrome (I was surprised to learn how many people[/q1]
[q1]>do).[/q1]

Yeah - it's just the massive change from panicpanicpanicexamsARGH!!! to doing nothing. Never really
got it that badly before this year though myself...

[q2]>> chris, currently enjoying staying in bed until 2pm, then sitting watching Family Guy all[/q2]
[q2]>> afternoon [/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Family Guy? What´s that?[/q1]

Think a cross between the Simpsons and South Park... it's really good, but alas it's yet another
victim of Fox's policy of cancelling the good stuff and keeping the crap. I've been watching every
single FG episode
- only about 5 to go. Wondering what to do next though... maybe Friends or Simpsons, but they've got
200-300 each... Ooh! Idea! Mysterious Cities of gold... haven't seen all of them since I was 5

[q2]>> [1] Well, it's the archetypal example that everyone knows - and if you don't, where've you been[/q2]
[q2]>> living - Mars?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Venus. I´m female in case you haven´t noticed [/q1]

Oh, you are? Well, you learn something new every day...

[q1]>But I honestly don´t know who Dead Wader or Lucy Skyworker are. <ducks>[/q1]

From Star Warts or something like that I dunno, some film or other, IIRC made in the 70s and
hardly anyone's watched it since

[q1]>Martina, who is looking forward to going back to studying[/q1]

You are completely mad.... which makes me slightly mad, cos I am pretty bored after 4 weeks of
bugger all...

chris
Martina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> >> >> I remember seeing a *very* similar question on a STEP paper[/q2]
sometime...
[q2]> >> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> >really? Our maths teacher gave it to as an ´easyish´ problem. She[/q2]
always
[q2]> >> >said everything was easy even if she couldn´t solve it. [/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> LOL. It is pretty easuy though, you just need to think a bit.[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >yes, I even managed to work this one out. <proud look> Many people in[/q2]
my
[q2]> >class had trouble understanding it though. Maybe it had something to do[/q2]
with
[q2]> >the way I explained it. (Whoever solved the problem first had to explain[/q2]
the
[q2]> >solution to the rest of the class. Given my fast-diminishing ability to string together a[/q2]
[q2]> >reasonable sentence in Czech, no wonder that most[/q2]
people
[q2]> >didn´t understand it even after 20 minutes of my arduous efforts).[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Oh, poor you. I used to have such fun at A-level - lots of ppl askling me to explain stuff. I[/q1]
[q1]> must've done about 10times as much of other ppl's revision as my own then [/q1]

LOL you would have been a handy person to sit next to during my maths tests. Inexplicably, two of
our best mathematicians, normally shunned by most of the class, became very popular as major maths
tests were looming on the horizon. Suddenly, everybody wanted to sit next to them... Hmmmmmmmmm...

[q1]> And look on the bright side - you may be losing your eloquence in Czech, buty at least you can[/q1]
[q1]> still talk english well. English is the only language I can manage more than a monosyllabic grunt,[/q1]
[q1]> and even then not much more.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Yes, but it´s quite embarrassing. I once tried to explain global warming during a geography lesson
in Czech - I stammered. I sounded like a semi-educated idiot, or worse.

[q2]> >I haven´t done much really. Sunday was a complete disaster. We flew from Prague to Zurich, waited[/q2]
[q2]> >there for 3 hours for a connecting flight to Lisbon. When we got to Portugal, we had no clue what[/q2]
[q2]> >to do, so we went to our gate. Just to make sure that we had done the right thing, I asked an[/q2]
[q2]> >American guy if he was also in transit, and he said yes, from Barcelona,[/q2]
and
[q2]> >he had to check in again when he got to Lisbon. Race to the check-in desk.You aren´t on the[/q2]
[q2]> >flight, says the woman at the desk. To cut a long story short, we missed our flight[/q2]
[q2]> >(luckily there was another one just an hour later). They changed the gate from which we[/q2]
[q2]> >were supposed to be[/q2]
flying
[q2]> >3 times in one hour. Complete chaos. But Madeira´s very pretty, when we were touching down the[/q2]
[q2]> >town of[/q2]
Funchal
[q2]> >looked as if it were built on the edge of a rainforest. It´s built on a[/q2]
very
[q2]> >steep mountainside, and is very green. This is probably the most[/q2]
picturesque
[q2]> >holiday resort I´ve visited![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Heh, nice The most picturesque place I've been recently is the suffolk coast, though some[/q1]
[q1]> people would say Cambridge is far nicer [/q1]

Btw we drove to the other side of the island this afternoon. This place is absolutely beautiful,
really, very mountainous and green. Do visit if and when you get the chance! Recommended! Second
best place after Cambridge.

[q2]> > I might Poisson my life with stats today though.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sure that's a good idea? Sounds a bit fishy to me...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I looked at matrices a bit but the pianist in the bar disrupted my musings with music.

[q2]> >Martina, who is looking forward to going back to studying[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> You are completely mad.... which makes me slightly mad, cos I am pretty bored after 4 weeks of[/q1]
[q1]> bugger all...[/q1]

Told you it´s the bloody exam-pressure-withdrawal syndrome. It has a fancy name hence it is a
medical condition hence you can´t call me mad or you´ll cause me a deep trauma.

Martina
Pete Bartlett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

[q2]> > No, no. /Undergraduates/ have to be precise in their work.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I´ve always thought there´s no justice in this world. [/q1]

There is some sort of justice. Lecturers were undergraduates once, and when they were, they were
tormented by /their/ lecturers into writing out the detail. Now they torment us. In a few years we
torment the next generation and so it goes on.

[q1]> > Lecturers are[/q1]
[q2]> > allowed, as the saying goes, to say A, write B and intend C whilst the correct answer is of[/q2]
[q2]> > course D. [1][/q2]
[q1]> Oh that´s the proverbial maths professor with a lost umbrella in each[/q1]
hand,
[q1]> isn´t it?[/q1]

Proverbial, yes. But also very true of a sizeable minority of pure maths people!

[q2]> > No idea where postgrads fit into this hierachy.[/q2]
[q1]> Stick to good old undergraduate precision please.[/q1]

Not sure what teaching style you had at your school but if you've ever looked at epsilon-delta style
proofs then you'll know why I don't want to do that! And if you haven't, you soon will.

Pete
Chris Share
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:31:10 +0100s, martina([email protected]) said...
[q2]>> Oh, poor you. I used to have such fun at A-level - lots of ppl askling me to explain stuff. I[/q2]
[q2]>> must've done about 10times as much of other ppl's revision as my own then [/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>LOL you would have been a handy person to sit next to during my maths tests. Inexplicably, two of[/q1]
[q1]>our best mathematicians, normally shunned by most of the class, became very popular as major maths[/q1]
[q1]>tests were looming on the horizon. Suddenly, everybody wanted to sit next to them... Hmmmmmmmmm...[/q1]

Oh yes, how I remember And I seemed to get a lot more phone calls when exams were approaching...
If only it was still like that now

[q2]>> And look on the bright side - you may be losing your eloquence in Czech, buty at least you can[/q2]
[q2]>> still talk english well. English is the only language I can manage more than a monosyllabic[/q2]
[q2]>> grunt, and even then not much more.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Yes, but it´s quite embarrassing. I once tried to explain global warming during a geography lesson[/q1]
[q1]>in Czech - I stammered. I sounded like a semi-educated idiot, or worse.[/q1]

You're a scientist, you don't have to be able to speak properly - everyone knows that :-p In this
country at least... others may be less fortunate

[q1]>Btw we drove to the other side of the island this afternoon. This place is absolutely beautiful,[/q1]
[q1]>really, very mountainous and green. Do visit if and when you get the chance! Recommended! Second[/q1]
[q1]>best place after Cambridge.[/q1]

I dunno, sounds somewhat far south for my liking - I was too bloody hot in cambridge, let along
further south still...

[q1]>I looked at matrices a bit but the pianist in the bar disrupted my musings with music.[/q1]

Music disturbs your work? Poor you... I seem to work better with music on.Probably because I'm so
used to having the computer on, or some music, or the cats/parents screaming at me all the time so
silence is weird.

[q1]>Told you it´s the bloody exam-pressure-withdrawal syndrome. It has a fancy name hence it is a[/q1]
[q1]>medical condition hence you can´t call me mad or you´ll cause me a deep trauma.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Martina[/q1]

Pah. You're just being evasive - you are mad Anyway, you say that as if it's a bad thing
</hermione> chris
Martina
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Pete Bartlett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> "martina" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q3]> > > No, no. /Undergraduates/ have to be precise in their work.[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > I´ve always thought there´s no justice in this world. [/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> There is some sort of justice. Lecturers were undergraduates once, and[/q1]
when
[q1]> they were, they were tormented by /their/ lecturers into writing out the detail. Now they torment[/q1]
[q1]> us. In a few years we torment the next generation and so it goes on.[/q1]

But what about the poor people who are so traumatised by the whole experience that they decide to
opt out of academia altogether? Is there any justice for them?

[q1]> Not sure what teaching style you had at your school but if you've ever looked at epsilon-delta[/q1]
[q1]> style proofs then you'll know why I don't want to[/q1]
do
[q1]> that![/q1]

an ugly teaching style. Do things in the wrong kind of order so that all proofs are more difficult.
Prove equations of tangents or normals to ellipses & co. without the knowledge of calculus etc..

M.
Pete Bartlett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

[q1]> But what about the poor people who are so traumatised by the whole experience that they decide to[/q1]
[q1]> opt out of academia altogether? Is there[/q1]
any
[q1]> justice for them?[/q1]

Yes, they earn more money.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
33.96%
No (523)
66.04%

Watched Threads