This discussion is closed.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
It is believed that people who are born blind see no colour whatsoever, not even black (which is what you or I see when we close out eyes). I find this quite difficult to visualise. I am wondering if a person who has been blind all their life 'sees' images when they dream.

Does anybody know the answer to this?
gayboy09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
As I am not blind, i can not provide an answer to this question that gives 1st hand experience.
However, what I can say is that dreams are based on experience, things that have been seen at one stage in your life. If a blind person has never seen anything, then there mustn't be the possibility of dreaming the dreams us non blind people have, but as they imagine how things look like, they will contain them images.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
(Original post by gayboy09)
As I am not blind, i can not provide an answer to this question that gives 1st hand experience.
However, what I can say is that dreams are based on experience, things that have been seen at one stage in your life. If a blind person has never seen anything, then there mustn't be the possibility of dreaming the dreams us non blind people have, but as they imagine how things look like, they will contain them images.
I was thinking alone the same lines. But if they have not had the experience of 'seeing' colour and shape, then how would these images look?
Digz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
It is believed that people who are born blind see no colour whatsoever, not even black (which is what you or I see when we close out eyes). I find this quite difficult to visualise. I am wondering if a person who has been blind all their life 'sees' images when they dream.

Does anybody know the answer to this?
It's impossible not to see black, as black isn't technically a colour. It's what's left after all the colour has been taken out. Think about it, without light, there's no colour, so there's black, so a blind person must see that.
If there are no images in their dreams, do they still have sound? Some kind of interpretation of texture?
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
(Original post by Digz)
It's impossible not to see black, as black isn't technically a colour. It's what's left after all the colour has been taken out. Think about it, without light, there's no colour, so there's black, so a blind person must see that.
If there are no images in their dreams, do they still have sound? Some kind of interpretation of texture?
Yes, I am reading about it now. They do 'dream sounds'. But surely you need to be able to see in order to see no colour, and therefore to see black (if that made sense). I think the reason that we cannot picture seeing no colour at all is because we have only ever experienced seeing colour in our lifetimes. This supports that argument that blind people do not have visual dreams- they have never experienced colour so have no concept of what it actually is.
Digz
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes, I am reading about it now. They do 'dream sounds'. But surely you need to be able to see in order to see no colour, and therefore to see black (if that made sense). I think the reason that we cannot picture seeing no colour at all is because we have only ever experienced seeing colour in our lifetimes. This supports that argument that blind people do not have visual dreams- they have never experienced colour so have no concept of what it actually is.
My point was that I don't think you need colour receptors to see black. May be wrong, but if you 'see' black when there is no light hitting your retinas, thus no message is passed up your optic nerves, then this absence of messages would still be present if the retinas were unable to encode light (ie you were blind).
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
(Original post by Digz)
My point was that I don't think you need colour receptors to see black. May be wrong, but if you 'see' black when there is no light hitting your retinas, thus no message is passed up your optic nerves, then this absence of messages would still be present if the retinas were unable to encode light (ie you were blind).
I wont argue with that. That sounds pretty correct to me.
Digz
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I wont argue with that. That sounds pretty correct to me.
Good, coz otherwise I may have been forced to start making up facts
By the way, blindsight is different from blind people seeing. Just some more random info for this early in the morning...
It's when a person, who's suffered damage to some of the visual areas in their brain lose sight of part of their visual field, but are still aware of the things in it. For example, if the said person had lost the right hand side of their vision and an object was placed there, they would not be able to see it but if asked to 'guess' and point to the object, they can do it almost perfectly.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
(Original post by Digz)
Good, coz otherwise I may have been forced to start making up facts
By the way, blindsight is different from blind people seeing. Just some more random info for this early in the morning...
It's when a person, who's suffered damage to some of the visual areas in their brain lose sight of part of their visual field, but are still aware of the things in it. For example, if the said person had lost the right hand side of their vision and an object was placed there, they would not be able to see it but if asked to 'guess' and point to the object, they can do it almost perfectly.
Yes I knew there was a difference. It's just I wanted a catchy title to the thread, and it sounds like hindsight, so it was good enough for me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (207)
51.88%
No (192)
48.12%

Watched Threads