This discussion is closed.
gemgems89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Is anyone else doing this award scheme?
I am going to start as soon as possible because it is supposed to be good for your Record of Acheivements.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
Is anyone else doing this award scheme?
I am going to start as soon as possible because it is supposed to be good for your Record of Acheivements.
Yes, I've completed my Bronze and Silver, and now I'm doing my Gold. It's well worthwhile. The expeditions are very fun; walking for most of the day (make sure you are confident in map reading!), then all camping together at night.

You also have to partake in a skill (eg playing a musical instrument), a sport and community service. For the latter, I produced tapes for Blind People under a 'Talking Books' scheme, became a Qualified First Aider and am now working in a Charity Shop: all will look great on my CV.

Furthermore, the Gold Award is seen as the equivalent to an A Level by many, and having all three awards will certainly help my Cambridge cause no end. Employeers value the kind of team work skills you gain from doing DoE.

In conclusion, go for it! It's enjoyable and will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tek)
Yes, I've completed my Bronze and Silver, and now I'm doing my Gold. It's well worthwhile. The expeditions are very fun; walking for most of the day (make sure you are confident in map reading!), then all camping together at night.

You also have to partake in a skill (eg playing a musical instrument), a sport and community service. For the latter, I produced tapes for Blind People under a 'Talking Books' scheme, became a Qualified First Aider and am now working in a Charity Shop: all will look great on my CV.

Furthermore, the Gold Award is seen as the equivalent to an A Level by many, and having all three awards will certainly help my Cambridge cause no end. Employeers value the kind of team work skills you gain from doing DoE.

In conclusion, go for it! It's enjoyable and will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life.
Thanks for the info Tek, good luck with your Gold
You seem to be doing very well, it certainly will look great! What did you do for the sport?
Map reading - I am not very good with directions really lol, but never mind.
For the expeditions, can you cycle so many kilometres instead of walking? On the booklet I got, it said that you can either walk, cycle or canoe.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
Thanks for the info Tek, good luck with your Gold
You seem to be doing very well, it certainly will look great! What did you do for the sport?
Map reading - I am not very good with directions really lol, but never mind.
For the expeditions, can you cycle so many kilometres instead of walking? On the booklet I got, it said that you can either walk, cycle or canoe.
I did Table Tennis for my Bronze Sport and Fencing for my Silver. I'll probably do SCUBA Diving for my Gold.

You can cycle or canoe, but it's probably better to walk. Are you going to be doing it in school? If so, they will probably decide your mode of transport.

Good luck!
Unregistered2
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Can you just start doing Gold if you are old enough or do you have to work your way up?
gemgems89
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tek)
I did Table Tennis for my Bronze Sport and Fencing for my Silver. I'll probably do SCUBA Diving for my Gold.

You can cycle or canoe, but it's probably better to walk. Are you going to be doing it in school? If so, they will probably decide your mode of transport.

Good luck!

Yeah it's part of school but I think we can choose. Is yours part of the JLGB?
Ah scuba diving, that sounds fun.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unregistered2)
Can you just start doing Gold if you are old enough or do you have to work your way up?
I think you have to work your way up.
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It is possible to do gold without bronze or silver, a few of my friends did this. They call it 'direct gold' and you will have to spend longer periods of time completing each of the sections (skill, sport and community service) and I think you also have to go on a few more practice expeditions.
4574368tgfh
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
It's a waste of time, nobody recognises it. If you want to do something difficult and respectful, get a job.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 4574368tgfh)
It's a waste of time, nobody recognises it. If you want to do something difficult and respectful, get a job.
Although I didnt do it myself, I believe it is highly respected.
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
but also depends on other results as well, even if you got gold for DOE, but got DDD for A level results, then u cant really expect unis will take you in.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
but also depends on other results as well, even if you got gold for DOE, but got DDD for A level results, then u cant really expect unis will take you in.
Yep I agree but it is nice to have that as an additional extra to your a-level results I suppose.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Whilst I see that DoE can be very enjoyable and worthwhile, to me it just seems to be a bit too much hoop jumping for my liking.
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I have done bronze and silver DofE and I am currently getting on with (although not very well) gold. The reason why I originally signed up was because I thought I would do stuff I enjoy, but would otherwise not get round to. This has been the case, and I have especially enjoyed the expeditions. Some of the stuff for it I was going to do anyway.
username1170
Report 17 years ago
how much help would DoE be to getting a university place?
username1170
Report 17 years ago
like Cambridge
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Shaft)
how much help would DoE be to getting a university place?
It would probably make quite a difference. Universities like Oxbridge like to see that you're not just into academia, but also have extra curricular activities. The challenging nature of DoE is an excellent way to demonstrate your committment to team work, the community, and to enriching your own life through the aquisition of new skills.
franky
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
doin d of e is v fun,but d expeditions can be hell sumtyms.its gd2put on yr records n stuf.u can do gold or silver witout doin bronze but i tink u hv2b at least 16 4 silver n 18 4 gold or summin lyk dat
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by franky)
doin d of e is v fun,but d expeditions can be hell sumtyms.its gd2put on yr records n stuf.u can do gold or silver witout doin bronze but i tink u hv2b at least 16 4 silver n 18 4 gold or summin lyk dat
You have to be 14 to start Bronze, 15 for Silver and 16 for Gold. The maximum age is 25.

You can enter at each level without the previous Award, but you must then keep up one of your sections for longer than those with the previous Awards. For example, a direct entrant at Gold would have to undertake a further six months in one of their skills / sports section (each one originally being six months).
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Shaft)
like Cambridge
It depends on which college and subject. As an example, Trinity are only interested in evidence of excellence relating to the subject you're applying for. If you have grade 5 piano or speak Spanish and Japanese, it won't count for anything if you're going for Maths!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (64)
12.28%
Virtual campus tours/open days (123)
23.61%
Live streaming events (46)
8.83%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.98%
A uni comparison tool (121)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (115)
22.07%