This discussion is closed.
Samantha **
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi everyone,

One of my written pieces I'm sending off to Oxford (to study PPE) is an essay on Death of a Salesman that I did last year (it was my coursework). I discuss whether Willy can be considered as a tragic hero. I'll quote a few bits from it:

Aristotle defined the ‘classic’ tragedy in his treatise Poetics (1498). He believed that only people of noble birth could be considered tragic heroes, and that they must have a fatal character flaw that leads to severe punishment.
My friend suggested that I read a little on Aristotle and his beliefs regarding tragedies, but I'm not quite sure where to look. How long is Poetics? Are his tragedy opinions in any of his other works? Please remember that I've got <1 month if I'm going to be interviewed, so I can't be starting 300 pagers (as I still have to finish a few!). Perhaps there are relevant chapters?
[email protected]
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hi,

'Poetics' is not very long at all (in my book the introduction is much longer than 'Poetics' itself, but is essential reading to accompany the text.) I managed to read poetics in a couple of days.

It certainly is very helpful if you are wanting to comment on tragedy or epic poetry.
Samantha **
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Thanks Debs - I've reserved it at Waterstones! Do you know of any professional criticism on it?
[email protected]
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No, sorry.

I had to read 'Poetics' for my degree course, but I haven't read any criticism on it.

Good luck with your Oxford application!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (34)
13.88%
Virtual campus tours/open days (53)
21.63%
Live streaming events (24)
9.8%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (24)
9.8%
A uni comparison tool (57)
23.27%
An in-person event when available (53)
21.63%