The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone else not got their letter yet? Also will I not get it until I send my evidence off?
Reply 6941
hey everyone....if i'm thinking of a sandwich course do I have to state it even if I'm not sure about it or change it later?thanks..
I sent my application in early April and they answered me very quickly. Still, I don't understand a thing: they say I don't have to do anything else, they have all the evidence etc. but the status of my application is TO BE COMPLETED. What does that mean? Is there any problem, anything to be concerned of? Please, help!...I wouldn't like to go in the UK and find out they don't give me the loan for the tuition fees! :|
Original post by ThunderGirl
Hey guys.

Kinda confused here about the deadline for EU students... OK. So I've heard it's up until nine months after I send my application and if I apply before the 31st of May and I'm approved, the SF will transfer the money to the uni around September. However, I'm not sure which university to write down as my exam results come out in 10 days... I'm just wondering what happens if you give your firm university but you don't meet the offer and have to go with insurance choice. Do I contact them when my results come out and if necessary and possible change the university choice? Or is it better to wait for the results first and then apply? Can't find information anywhere so I'll be happy with any reply! Thanks in advance!

I'm an EU student, too. They say you can change the university you put on your application afterwards but, to be honest, I don't know how...:| Maybe you have to write them a letter?...
Reply 6944
So i just finished my first year; I'm an eu student. I received yesterday the scores for my modules. I passed everything except for a Chinese exam. I'm worried that i might not pass the retake/referral. I have already applied for the tuition fee loan for the second year.

They told me that if i fail the retake, i will have to continue as a part time module retriever. So i will pay reduced fees, and I will do again the whole module for chinese (but not the other modules that I passed).
They said that even if it's called part-time module retriever, i can still claim funding for full time students. Is it true? How will I tell student finance of this change in my situation?
Reply 6945
Hi, I've done a quick search of the forums but can't really see an answer to this...

At roughly what point in the first term should I expect to receive the first instalment of my loan? Assuming there is no unexpected delays, and I applied on time etc..

I will be starting my first year in September, and could maybe save up £100 tops to tide me over the first while :frown: yes, I am stupid poor
Will I just need to use an overdraft?
Reply 6946
Original post by Bluer.
Hi, I've done a quick search of the forums but can't really see an answer to this...

At roughly what point in the first term should I expect to receive the first instalment of my loan? Assuming there is no unexpected delays, and I applied on time etc..

I will be starting my first year in September, and could maybe save up £100 tops to tide me over the first while :frown: yes, I am stupid poor
Will I just need to use an overdraft?

Generally, assuming no delays, it's about a week. For most, this means using savings/overdraft for freshers.
Original post by El_Diablo90x
For Student Finance 2012/13 continuing students, is there an actual form I can download and print out?

They don't have it on their website to print out anymore because they want everyone to fill it in online (they don't need as many staff this way) - however if you ring them up or write to them requesting a paper form then they will send you one in the post (they do like to make life difficult).

I have my own question that I hope people can help me with. For some unknown reason SFE want me to give evidence for "reasons for not continuing course", and won't process my application without this evidence. Since I AM continuing my course I rang them up and was told that I should send them evidence from my university to prove that I am continuing my course - I forgot to ask specifically what they would need though (and I'd really rather not ring them up again).
Will a letter from one of my tutors suffice or do I need to wait until july/august when I get my results letter and confirmation of acceptance into my third year?
Original post by Jarred
I'm still doing my SFE form. Nearly done now.
On the "Review and submit" page. I am entitled to a grant, and chose on the calculator/ slider page to receive a grant. But no grant is mentioned on the review and submit page. It only mentions the loans.

I haven't yet put in my parental income. So nautrally they don't know how much I can get yet. But I was wondering, should the grant at least appear as a rough estimate if I chose for one through the SFE calculator? Don't wanna send it all through if they're gonna turn around and say I can't get the grant because I didn't apply for it or whatever.

Cheers.

You need to choose to be income assessed, providing you've done this you will be considered for the grant but won't be told about it until after your parents have done their bit (or at least I didn't). Even if you haven't applied for the grant you can always do it later, up to 9 months after you start your course (although obviously if you applied for it late you'd get it late - the loan would still be on time though).

Original post by Morgwann
Having an absolute mare here.

Only realised yesterday that the deadline is the 31st so I got started. Yet the problem is my parents are on holiday so I have no clue on their financial details haha.

However, I think my parents may have accounts on there when they did my brother's application in 2008 but I don't think that would make any difference as I have to give financial details from 09-10.

Whats the best advice? Call them up and explain the situation I suppose?

They will still have accounts and will need to link these with your account and then give evidence. Ringing them up will not do anything as they can't change the deadline, just make sure you get the form in asap if you haven't already as if it's just a bit late there's still a good chance of getting your money on time. If it hadn't already passed the deadline I'd have suggested sending it off as non-income assessed to make sure you get the minimm loan on time, then changing to income assessed once your parents get home.

Original post by WhiteToothMan
Hi, I applied online for student finance however about a week later it said it was cancelled. I got a letter today saying I completed the wrong application form and should complete a PN1 form ( one for new full-time students). As I have already been to university but dropped out in 1st year I already had a Student finance account so just used that to apply for 2012/12. I assume it has made me fill out a PR1 form (one for continuing students).
How would I go about filling out a PN1 form online? or am I best off just doing a paper application?

Ring them and check, if you have to do a paper application you'll probably have to ring to request the form anyway.

Original post by Jockie
Is anyone else still getting the dreaded 'ERROR' message? I filled in my form all fine and then went to click 'Apply' and it came up. I now can't go any further and it happens after I click 'Continue' on everything. Is this something I've done wrong or is it the site?

I'm not getting it anymore, if you still are you'll have to ring them and they'll either tell you how far along your application is or say you have to fill in a paper form if you were half-way through.

Original post by Care-Free
i've used my firm choice on the student finance application and sent it off and everything's fine, if i end up having to go to my insurance do i need to change my application? the tuition fees for my firm are lower than my insurance and if i do need to change my application after results is the money going to get to the uni in time?

Yes, if you end up at your insurance you just change it after results day. The money doesn't go to the uni until that uni has confirmed your attendance, so they won't pay any money to your firm uni unless you get in and go to enrolment.

Original post by Inspire12
Hi guys, I just sent off my application form online over the weekend, but ive read that ill receive a declaration form which i have to sign and send off, does this form have to be in before 31st may? Because i just sent off my form and i dont want it to delay my payments in the academic year

Only the application form had to be sent off by the deadline, the reason the deadline is so early is so that everything including the returning of the declaration is done before September.

Original post by DamoclesAustria
Hi,

so I just got a letter confirming that I'll get the full £9000 tuition fee loan but apparently I made a minor mistake: the letter says Christ's College - Uni of Cambridge - I applied to Trinity Hall though. (Trinity Hall has campus code "4" while Christ's has "A")

How can I fix that?

Ring them up, they either change it over the phone or send a form, not sure which it'll be for something like that.

Original post by JayXVIII
Hi
I need some advice:
should i apply for student finance uk if i can afford not to?
my parents have got the money to pay for uni course and living expenses but some of their colleagues said that once a different gov comes in power they'll prob wave of the debt plus they think because you pay back only a few £100 a year maximum for 30 yrs, it won't really affect me that much. Is any of this true and if so should I apply for student finance or not?

It's up to you, this could happen but then again it could not. You could always apply for the finance and put the money into a savings account to earn interest on it, plus it's worth bearing in mind that if you don't earn enough some gets written off too.

Original post by El_Diablo90x
For Student Finance 2012/13 continuing students, is there an actual form I can download and print out?

I think you have to ring them if you want to do a paper application instead of doing it online.

Original post by GPH92
I havnt posted my declaration back yet for my 2nd year of funding. Is this okay?

Yes, but you should aim to send it back as soon as possible after receiving it as otherwise you could forget and end up delaying your funding.

Original post by Oliviertje1994
Do EU students that can't apply online but have to send a form also use the 31/05/2012 deadline?

Yes, but this deadline is only to guarantee you get the loan on time so you can still submit now but the loan may be delayed slightly.

Original post by .gina
Is there any point in getting a means tested loan? My parents combined earn over the 42k limit and I don't see how I'd get any extra for sending in their financial evidence (which they don't actually have).

That is the grant limit, unless they earn over £62,500 (I think, may be slightly different but around there) then you will still be entitled to a larger loan. If your household income is between these figures and you want the extra loan then it is worth applying as means tested. I'm not sure how your parents can not have the financial evidence as they should have a P60 or a tax return or something to show their earnings or be able to get a copy of one of these.

Original post by Retro.spex
Has anyone else not got their letter yet? Also will I not get it until I send my evidence off?

If you're talking about the declaration you don't get it until you have sent off your evidence and it has been processed.

Original post by CnGR
hey everyone....if i'm thinking of a sandwich course do I have to state it even if I'm not sure about it or change it later?thanks..

Choose whichever you think is more likely at the present time, then you can change it if you end up (not) doing a sandwich year.

Original post by blueyes2091
I sent my application in early April and they answered me very quickly. Still, I don't understand a thing: they say I don't have to do anything else, they have all the evidence etc. but the status of my application is TO BE COMPLETED. What does that mean? Is there any problem, anything to be concerned of? Please, help!...I wouldn't like to go in the UK and find out they don't give me the loan for the tuition fees! :|

You can ring them and ask, but it might just be that they've received your evidence but haven't processed it fully yet, mine did this until they had received my signed declaration.

Original post by andrespi
So i just finished my first year; I'm an eu student. I received yesterday the scores for my modules. I passed everything except for a Chinese exam. I'm worried that i might not pass the retake/referral. I have already applied for the tuition fee loan for the second year.

They told me that if i fail the retake, i will have to continue as a part time module retriever. So i will pay reduced fees, and I will do again the whole module for chinese (but not the other modules that I passed).
They said that even if it's called part-time module retriever, i can still claim funding for full time students. Is it true? How will I tell student finance of this change in my situation?

I would suggest you ring and ask them to make sure you know what will happen and how it could affect your entitement to finance in future years (though if you have no previous study and this only happens once I don't see how it could).
Reply 6949
Original post by StacFace
That is the grant limit, unless they earn over £62,500 (I think, may be slightly different but around there) then you will still be entitled to a larger loan. If your household income is between these figures and you want the extra loan then it is worth applying as means tested. I'm not sure how your parents can not have the financial evidence as they should have a P60 or a tax return or something to show their earnings or be able to get a copy of one of these.

My mum misplaced them and they can't get another one -_- they do earn over that though so there is no point sending the evidence off, I'll give them a ring and get them to send it non-means tested.
With my loan for next year I am getting SO little! They have lowered my loan amount due to the year my mother worked her guts off for a family holiday and now I'm gonna suffer for next year.. Is there any way I can dispute it?
Original post by 2PacStudent
With my loan for next year I am getting SO little! They have lowered my loan amount due to the year my mother worked her guts off for a family holiday and now I'm gonna suffer for next year.. Is there any way I can dispute it?

If your household income was 15% or more lower in the tax year just gone compared to that year then you can asked to be reassessed on this year just gone instead.
Reply 6952
I just completed my first year but now I'm changing degree. How do I notify this change of degree?
I'm an EU student and it doesn't allow me to change my course (and amount of money askedfor the tuition fee) online.
How do I notify them of this change?
has any eu student received a final answer yet? if so, how long did you wait in total?
/impatient
Reply 6954
oh crap...I'm sure that I filled in all my applications but reading this has got me worried. All that I've received from them is an email of recognition of my account but nothing about an application. And when I looked on the site before there wasn't anything about an application.

Thing is I don't remember filling in any info about parental income etc
Reply 6955
What do I do with my application if I miss my firm and insurance and go through clearing???? How would I change it??
Reply 6956
Hello, I'm EU student who studied in Wales in 2010/2011, then suspended the studies for a year, and this September I'm starting new course at university in England (from 1 year). Is that okay that I have applied for finance online through Student Finance Wales? I changed university and course details there, so I think they will know what's going on, but I just want to be sure that I didn't have to create new account on Student Finance England or send out paper forms to SFEngland or EU Student Finance team.

And another question: my parents are supporting my application because I'm applying for Maintenance Grant as a migrant worker - we decided to fill the online applications for them as well. However, it was not possible to put their income in other currency than British pounds (and they don't earn in GBP), so we've put there the income converted to GBP with average currency exchange rate for that day. Do you think it's alright to do it this way?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6957
Original post by Shani
Generally, assuming no delays, it's about a week. For most, this means using savings/overdraft for freshers.

Thank you :smile:
Hi, I'm just applying for my SAAS now, and I'm trying to get the minimum loan. It's asking me to enter the contact details of two people, one a family member. Does anyone know why they need these details? Will they contact the people about your loan, or is it just in case you disappear with the money and they need someone to phone etc? Thanks.
How do you know when u have been approved?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending