Turn on thread page Beta

To what extent do GCSE's affect what university you can apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Although Universities ask for specific A-Level grades, I think GCSEs are a reflection of your education in the sense that they show the improvements from GCSE to A-Level and also hopefully show that you were educationally minded at 16.

If you wish to go to a university which accepts lower A-Level grades, then the standard 5A*-C will be fine. But if you wish to apply to the top Universities with just the 5-A*-C they will question why you've 'failed' some of your GCSEs and unless you proove that you are a 'perfect' student, I'm guessing they'd have doubts in their minds.

Do any Universities other than Oxbridge has GCSE requirements? I think to go to Oxbridge you must have at least 5A grades? But I'm guessing it is harder for someone with poor GCSE results than somone who has 13A*s to get in there.

People when doing A-Levels say GCSEs don't matter. But I think they do, they are a reflection of your efforts and are important to some jobs as they cover more subjects than the A-Levels such as Maths, English, Science, Languages, Technology... skills that you can't always get from the standard 4 A-Levels.

i have 9 D-G grades in mine but im on course for uni (maybe even LSE!) so u dont need C's. ur probably better off no to have anything above D because so many geeks have A*-Cs now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mjg*)
    i have 9 D-G grades in mine but im on course for uni (maybe even LSE!) so u dont need C's. ur probably better off no to have anything above D because so many geeks have A*-Cs now.
    How the hell r u doing A levels and u probably have as much chance of getting into LSE as a person has at juggling soot...and at least a grade C is not for geeks...it is for people with at least a ounce of intelligence

ReputationRep:
    I got 12 GCSE's above grade C, but performed pretty poorly at A-level, yet I still got into my first choice uni (despite not making my offer by a long way). i think part of the reason I still got let in was on the basis of my GCSE results, as although they weren't 'outstanding' they were still above average. Also I had a good personal statement on my UCAS form, and I interviewed well. I think really only the top 5 or 10 uni's will want specific amounts of A/A*'s in your GCSE's, but other uni's might look at GCSE grades if you didn't meet your offer. However don't worry if you don't think your GCSE's are good enough - loads of my friends who I did better than in my GCSE's did loads better than me at A-Level. Just work a bit harder than what I did!!!

(Original post by Blamps)
    How the hell r u doing A levels and u probably have as much chance of getting into LSE as a person has at juggling soot...and at least a grade C is not for geeks...it is for people with at least a ounce of intelligence
    f*** yo vocab! ur just jealous so i think i'll ignore u!

ReputationRep:
    How can I be jealous given that I am applying to Oxford, KCL, UCL, Birmingham, Nottingham and Warwick....I am just intriguied as to how you are doing A levels without 5 A*-C and how exactly you think LSE will let you in without at least fulfilling their requirements in GCSE terms

How can I be jealous given that I am applying to Oxford, KCL, UCL, Birmingham, Nottingham and Warwick....I am just intriguied as to how you are doing A levels without 5 A*-C and how exactly you think LSE will let you in without at least fulfilling their requirements in GCSE terms
    i got into may college because i gave a gr8 interview + have loads of EXTRA CURRICULUM ACTIVITIES unlike sum ppl. 5A*-Cs is just a guidline and only stiff schools stick 2 it! Anyway, i have already passed exams at as and a-level and am going 2 uni next year so i think they made the right decision dont you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mjg*)
    i got into may college because i gave a gr8 interview + have loads of EXTRA CURRICULUM ACTIVITIES unlike sum ppl. 5A*-Cs is just a guidline and only stiff schools stick 2 it! Anyway, i have already passed exams at as and a-level and am going 2 uni next year so i think they made the right decision dont you?
    I have raced for Britain in a cycling discipline as well as working for a charity, playing in a band and other sports. However, I do not expect to be let in on this alone....also, LSE is very popular and without the GCSE requirements they will not take you..it is as simple as that...Extra curricular activities will not ammend the de facto situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mjg*)
    Yeah, well done for choosing to go to uni but I think you are being over ambitious with LSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mjg*)
    5A*-Cs is just a guidline and only stiff schools stick 2 it!?
    I think most colleges/sixth forms will stick to it as people who did worse at GCSE probably wouldn't be able to cope at A Level, as the subjects are a lot more in depth.

I have raced for Britain in a cycling discipline as well as working for a charity, playing in a band and other sports. However, I do not expect to be let in on this alone....also, LSE is very popular and without the GCSE requirements they will not take you..it is as simple as that...Extra curricular activities will not ammend the de facto situation
    well considering i have already passed A level economics, as level home economics and am on course for A's and B's in my modules this year i disagree! f*** yo vocab!

(Original post by Nylex)
    I think most colleges/sixth forms will stick to it as people who probably did worse at GCSE wouldn't be able to cope at A Level, as the subjects are a lot more in depth.
    Pencil got the same as me at GCSE and he did a-levels. if i wasnt up to it then why did i pass economics (the hardest subject)?

ReputationRep:
    Home economics is a piece of crap whilst economics is by far the easiest subject I do

Home economics is a piece of crap whilst economics is by far the easiest subject I do
    lies . i bet u get an F!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mjg*)
    well considering i have already passed A level economics, as level home economics and am on course for A's and B's in my modules this year i disagree! f*** yo vocab!
    If your really as 'clever' as you say you are then by not being a 'geek' and getting 5A*-C's, you will have (I'm about 95% certain) blown your chances of places such as Durham, Bath, Warwick, York, Nottingham and even Oxbridge - where people with A's & B's go, just because you didn't want to be a 'geek' and if you write like that on your personal statement...

ReputationRep:
    I dunno.. I'm not saying that that's what happens, it just seems like it's possible it could be the case. Didn't you only pass 1 A Level though?? How on earth do you expect to get into LSE with 1 A Level?

ReputationRep:
    Would As and A*s get you into a red brick uni? and do extra activities count as much as ure GCSEs? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJG*)
    lies . i bet u get an F!
    I got an A without much revision for my A/S 270 ish/300

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    Would As and A*s get you into a red brick uni? and do extra activities count as much as ure GCSEs? :confused:
    of course they will for f**k sake...what do u want to get A*********. Extra curricular activities are important but not as GCSEs are

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.