This discussion is closed.
Blamps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
If your really as 'clever' as you say you are then by not being a 'geek' and getting 5A*-C's, you will have (I'm about 95% certain) blown your chances of places such as Durham, Bath, Warwick, York, Nottingham and even Oxbridge - where people with A's & B's go, just because you didn't want to be a 'geek' and if you write like that on your personal statement...
how come you said 'even Oxbridge' and not the other way round
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
how come you said 'even Oxbridge' and not the other way round
I don't understand you? Are you saying I should have said 'Oxbridge even' or should have put it first on the list of Universities?
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I don't understand you? Are you saying I should have said 'Oxbridge even' or should have put it first on the list of Universities?
Nah just the way you phrased it...it had the connotations that Oxbridge has the least GCSE expectations that's all
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Nah just the way you phrased it...it had the connotations that Oxbridge has the least GCSE expectations that's all
Lol, I suppose it does! I was trying to say that someone with A's and B's at A-Level could even try to apply there, without having straight A's. Never Mind!
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Far too many trolls on this site, "Oooh will my 27 As at A-level get me into University?". Please, getting quite tiresome of people feeling the need to post their grades and even UMS, and in addition to that outline that they're amazingly intelligent. Save it in my opinion.
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Petrozzi)
Far too many trolls on this site, "Oooh will my 27 As at A-level get me into University?". Please, getting quite tiresome of people feeling the need to post their grades and even UMS, and in addition to that outline that they're amazingly intelligent. Save it in my opinion.
Maybe as well as having a rep system, we should have a 'do u want a medal button' for people who act like this.
Petrozzi
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Maybe as well as having a rep system, we should have a 'do u want a medal button' for people who act like this.
Yer, that'd work well.
that or, do you want a punch. (reserved for maskall)
*mjg*
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
yeah there r sum right muppets on here.
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *mjg*)
yeah there r sum right muppets on here.
like you...
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Petrozzi)
Yer, that'd work well.
that or, do you want a punch. (reserved for maskall)
or a button esp for Maskall: 'grow some pubes'
Saf!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *mjg*)
i have 9 D-G grades in mine but im on course for uni (maybe even LSE!) so u dont need C's. ur probably better off no to have anything above D because so many geeks have A*-Cs now.
if u wanna end up on da streets, listen 2 this one
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
With extra-curricular activities I think that the universities just want to see that you have some wholesome interests outside your studies -- the nature and level don't matter that much, but something which shows that you would have needed time management skills is always good, plus maybe voluntary work which would show a social conscience. Essentially I think they like to have interesting people and a good (and convincing) list of extra-curric will thus help you, but it certainly wouldn't get you in as MJG seems to think.

As for GCSEs, before taking the exams my school's headmaster told us that as more people get three As at A-level the top unis were taking GCSE grades more seriously, simply because there isn't that much else if they don't want to interview or set their own tests. However he may have simply been trying to scare us into working hard for our GCSEs.
username1170
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
With extra-curricular activities I think that the universities just want to see that you have some wholesome interests outside your studies -- the nature and level don't matter that much, but something which shows that you would have needed time management skills is always good, plus maybe voluntary work which would show a social conscience. Essentially I think they like to have interesting people and a good (and convincing) list of extra-curric will thus help you, but it certainly wouldn't get you in as MJG seems to think.

As for GCSEs, before taking the exams my school's headmaster told us that as more people get three As at A-level the top unis were taking GCSE grades more seriously, simply because there isn't that much else if they don't want to interview or set their own tests. However he may have simply been trying to scare us into working hard for our GCSEs.
How much would Duke of Edingborough help?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by tree)
To what extent do GCSE's affect what university you can apply for?
IMHO it goes something like this...

With 5 A*-C's you can apply pretty much anywhere including Oxbridge (yes people do get in with B's and C's), providing you meet any course requirements. These are often things like "you must have a B in GCSE maths" or "you must have at least a C in GCSE english".

If you have less than the 5 A*-C's then you will still have a chance at getting into a high quality institution but you may have to impress admissions people with some extra-curricular activites and you may want to try and account for your GCSE results not being what they usually expect.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
I think extra stuff is a lot more important as you get older. During your GCSEs, it's not a big deal to be "form captain" etc, it's just basic experience. For UCAS forms, it's good to get involved in a few things during your time at 6th form / gap year to show you do more than study. It's uni where I think it really matters, where the extra things you do can be almost as valuable as your final degree result.
prada_princess
Report 17 years ago
unfortunatley, in my opinion, GCSE's are important in the uni selection process. i think this is not always fair because some people *cough cough* only mature after compulsory education and so their GCSE results are not a true reflection of their academic potential. lots of uni's also request a's and b's - not just oxbridge but other highly ranked ones like lse, york, warwick, ucl.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (206)
51.89%
No (191)
48.11%

Watched Threads