The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
95% is the highest concentration possible outside of some industrial ethanol which is insanely expensive and very hard to get hold of.
Absinthe is legal in the UK, actually... but hard to find.
Reply 3
you can buy anything in theuk...just have to go away from the supermarket...ive seen the strange eastern european potato alcohol which is 98% in camden
I have a bottle of ~99.98% ethanol in my fridge :smile:
*subscribes*
Reply 6
**** me...

... is what usually happens when i get my hands on some absinthe... good times.
Reply 7
Revd. Mike
I have a bottle of ~99.98% ethanol in my fridge :smile:

But i hope you intend on using it for science, not drink? :tongue:
Reply 8
i've tried potching which is like 90%, that stuff burns the hell out of your throat
Reply 9
I don't really mean something that I can buy in the supermarket. I assume that any drinks with percentages like absinthe can only really be bought online.
Reply 10
You can get absinthe in most places these days and you can order it online if that fails.
I think 40% is the legal limit here.
I had black absinthe which is 80 proof (40% I think)
Reply 13
RightSaidJames
Absinthe is legal in the UK, actually... but hard to find.

It really isn't hard to find.

Sainsburys sell La Fee Absinthe which is 68% abv
Reply 14
Rizzletastic

That is absolute rubbish.
Rizzletastic
I had black absinthe which is 80 proof (40% I think)

you what?
simeon
That is absolute rubbish.

How so?
Reply 17
jack252
you can buy anything in theuk...just have to go away from the supermarket...ive seen the strange eastern european potato alcohol which is 98% in camden

Wouldn't be 98%. You can't do that without adding a strong drying agent to ethanol, otherwise it just won't distill any further than 95%.
raich_x
You can get absinthe in most places these days and you can order it online if that fails.

But the Absinthe you buy in Tesco, despite being a named brand like La Fee, is still weaker than a bottle of Cointreau or Bourbon. Strongest stuff I've got, drinks-wise, without actually searching round too much is 101Proof Bourbon, so 50.5%...

You can get things like Bacardi 151, which is 75.5%, and is the same strength as the less lethal version of Everclear that's on the Yankee market. As for everything else, you just have to search around - internet would be your best bet...or wait for some Polacks and such to start brewing bath-tub vodka. Always happens where I live - you go to Spar, and find out there's no vodka on sale cause some Eastern Europeans have been swapping it with their own homebrew which leaves you blind, deaf and dead. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Rizzletastic
How so?

Because the 'legal limit' is no 40%. I've run pubs and bars for 17 years, so I know this to be true.