Turn on thread page Beta

Would you? watch

Announcements

Just been watching Eastenders during my revision (break). Would you have used the exam paper, or
    would you have cheated like Sonia?

"Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Just been watching Eastenders during my revision (break). Would you have used the exam paper, or[/q1]
    [q1]> would you have cheated like Sonia?[/q1]

Or rather, I mean would you have refrained from cheating, like Sonia did.

It'd be so hard not to cheat. So yeah I would. Sonia's a girl anyway, therefore she has morals.

Would you?

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> "Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Just been watching Eastenders during my revision (break). Would you have used the exam paper, or[/q2]
    [q2]> > would you have cheated like Sonia?[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Or rather, I mean would you have refrained from cheating, like Sonia did.[/q1]

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:34:31 +0100, "Wayne" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>It'd be so hard not to cheat. So yeah I would. Sonia's a girl anyway, therefore she has morals.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Would you?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>"Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>> "Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q2]
    [q2]>> > Just been watching Eastenders during my revision (break). Would you have used the exam paper,[/q2]
    [q2]>> > or would you have cheated like Sonia?[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>> Or rather, I mean would you have refrained from cheating, like Sonia did.[/q2]

I wouldn't feel as good about my grade if I cheated, so I wouldn't

Dan

[q1]> "Tom Salls" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]

[q1]> I would probably cheat, but then I'd see friends who struggle with the[/q1]
    exam
    [q1]> and feel awful.[/q1]

I'd cheat enough to get myself a decent grade, but not ace it, partly so it didn't look too
    different to my normal results, but also because that way it wouldn't feel too much like cheating.
    But I'd tell my friends to revise the necessary topics with a big wink. But I certainly wouldn't
    feel guilty about it. Does that make me hideously amoral?

JD

[q2]> > Just been watching Eastenders during my revision (break). Would you have used the exam paper, or[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Or rather, I mean would you have refrained from cheating, like Sonia did.[/q1]

I recently had a peice of assesed coursework to do, and it was damn hard, so I went to the lecturers
    web site to download some other sample questions to try, and it turned out he had the full answers
    to the assessed questons on there.

So I could have a - ignored them and carried on working b - used them and got full marks c -
    reported them and who knows what might happen...he might have to send us all new questions
    or something

I decided to ignor them and try to answer the questions without them, but failed miserably and ended
    up handing in nothing. Actually I tried looking at the answers to understand how to answer the
    question but that didn't help either.

Looking back, I probably should have told the lecturer they were there, then he might have sent out
    easier questions or something

adam

[q1]> Just been watching Eastenders during my revision (break). Would you have used the exam paper, or[/q1]
    [q1]> would you have cheated like Sonia?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    It has been taking place for many years it is nothing new.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> "Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]> It has been taking place for many years it is nothing new.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

We have a number of Russian students. With a few exceptions, the males see nothing wrong in
    cheating, which is clearly culturally acceptable (in their terms). I suppose my instinctive
    revulsion against cheating derives from some notion that a society made up of people who think
    cheating is OK is one where there will be significantly more corruption, nepotism and acceptance of
    the inevitability of criminal activity spilling into everyday life (as in Russia), which of course
    radically increases the chances that everyday life will become more tainted. I can't help feeling
    therefore that every one of you who cheats is grievously undermining the social trust which enables
    this society to work effectively (and especially if you justify it to yourselves on the grounds that
    everyone does it - or is a mug for not doing it).

Stuart Williams

[q1]> We have a number of Russian students. With a few exceptions, the males see nothing wrong in[/q1]
    [q1]> cheating, which is clearly culturally acceptable (in their terms). I suppose my instinctive[/q1]
    [q1]> revulsion against cheating derives from some notion that a society made up of people who think[/q1]
    [q1]> cheating is OK is one where there will be significantly more corruption, nepotism and acceptance[/q1]
    [q1]> of the inevitability of criminal activity spilling into everyday life (as in Russia), which of[/q1]
    [q1]> course radically increases the chances that everyday life will become more tainted. I can't help[/q1]
    [q1]> feeling therefore that every one of you who cheats is grievously undermining the social trust[/q1]
    [q1]> which enables this society to work effectively (and especially if you justify it to yourselves on[/q1]
    [q1]> the grounds that everyone does it - or is a mug for not doing it).[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Stuart Williams[/q1]

An associated argument is that it devalues the award you'll be getting. It's called Gresham's
    Law - bad money drives out good. In this case all A levels/degrees/driving tests are devalued if
    ppl cheat.

If I find a stdent cheating I try my best to get them kicked off the dgree. Usually I fail, but
    occasionally I get a result. John

[email protected] .co.uk says...
    [q1]> If I find a stdent cheating I try my best to get them kicked off the dgree. Usually I fail, but[/q1]
    [q1]> occasionally I get a result.[/q1]

Which is also wonderfully Darwinian and leaves you with the people who understand the course and the
    cheaters who are bright enough not to get caught. <g

[q2]> > I would probably cheat, but then I'd see friends who struggle with the[/q2]
    [q1]> exam[/q1]
    [q2]> > and feel awful.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I'd cheat enough to get myself a decent grade, but not ace it, partly so[/q1]
    it
    [q1]> didn't look too different to my normal results, but also because that way[/q1]
    it
    [q1]> wouldn't feel too much like cheating. But I'd tell my friends to revise[/q1]
    the
    [q1]> necessary topics with a big wink. But I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about it. Does that make me[/q1]
    [q1]> hideously amoral?[/q1]

well I'd cheat my ass off, get top marks, and laugh at the fools who have to do work to get the
    grades, does that make me a bad person?

[email protected] says...
    [q1]> well I'd cheat my ass off, get top marks, and laugh at the fools who have to do work to get the[/q1]
    [q1]> grades, does that make me a bad person?[/q1]

No. Selling the answers for sexual favours makes you a bad person.

[q1]> well I'd cheat my ass off, get top marks, and laugh at the fools who have to do work to get the[/q1]
    [q1]> grades, does that make me a bad person?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    Yup. John

[q2]> > well I'd cheat my ass off, get top marks, and laugh at the fools who have to do work to get the[/q2]
    [q2]> > grades, does that make me a bad person?[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> No. Selling the answers for sexual favours makes you a bad person.[/q1]

that gives me an idea, print out some "leaked" gcse papers (past papers with the date changed lol
    they'll never know) and go take advantage of some yr 11s, would that make me a bad person?

[q2]> > well I'd cheat my ass off, get top marks, and laugh at the fools who have to do work to get the[/q2]
    [q2]> > grades, does that make me a bad person?[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> No. Selling the answers for sexual favours makes you a bad person.[/q1]

that gives me an idea, print out some "leaked" gcse papers (past papers with the date changed lol
    they'll never know) and go take advantage of some yr 11s, would that make me a bad person?

"Evil Dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q3]> > > well I'd cheat my ass off, get top marks, and laugh at the fools who have to do work to get[/q3]
    [q3]> > > the grades, does that make me a bad person?[/q3]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > No. Selling the answers for sexual favours makes you a bad person.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> that gives me an idea, print out some "leaked" gcse papers (past papers with the date changed lol[/q1]
    [q1]> they'll never know) and go take advantage of some yr 11s, would that make me a bad person?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

Genius. I wonder how dumb freshers are these days.

"Stuart Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [q1]> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...[/q1]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > "Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q2]
    [q3]> > > Just been watching Eastenders during my revision (break). Would you[/q3]
    have
    [q3]> > > used the exam paper, or would you have cheated like Sonia?[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q2]> > It has been taking place for many years it is nothing new.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> We have a number of Russian students. With a few exceptions, the males see nothing wrong in[/q1]
    [q1]> cheating, which is clearly culturally acceptable (in their terms). I suppose my instinctive[/q1]
    [q1]> revulsion against cheating derives from some notion that a society made up of people who think[/q1]
    [q1]> cheating is OK is one where there will be significantly more corruption, nepotism and acceptance[/q1]
    [q1]> of the inevitability of criminal activity spilling into everyday life (as in Russia), which of[/q1]
    [q1]> course radically increases the chances that everyday life will become more tainted. I can't help[/q1]
    [q1]> feeling therefore that every one of you who cheats is grievously undermining the social trust[/q1]
    [q1]> which enables this society to work effectively (and especially if you justify it to yourselves on[/q1]
    [q1]> the grounds that everyone does it - or is a mug for not doing it).[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Stuart Williams[/q1]

What does it matter. Cheating takes place in mnay exam around the world, in some countries they get
    away with it but in some they do not.

Very Wise <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> "Stuart Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > In article <[email protected]>,[/q2]
    [email protected]
    [q2]> > says...[/q2]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > "Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q3]
    [q3]> > > news:[email protected]...[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > Just been watching Eastenders during my revision (break). Would you[/q3]
    [q1]> have[/q1]
    [q3]> > > > used the exam paper, or would you have cheated like Sonia?[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > It has been taking place for many years it is nothing new.[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > We have a number of Russian students. With a few exceptions, the males see nothing wrong in[/q2]
    [q2]> > cheating, which is clearly culturally acceptable[/q2]
    (in
    [q2]> > their terms). I suppose my instinctive revulsion against cheating[/q2]
    derives
    [q2]> > from some notion that a society made up of people who think cheating is OK is one where there[/q2]
    [q2]> > will be significantly more corruption, nepotism[/q2]
    and
    [q2]> > acceptance of the inevitability of criminal activity spilling into everyday life (as in Russia),[/q2]
    [q2]> > which of course radically increases the chances that everyday life will become more tainted. I[/q2]
    [q2]> > can't help[/q2]
    feeling
    [q2]> > therefore that every one of you who cheats is grievously undermining the social trust which[/q2]
    [q2]> > enables this society to work effectively (and especially if you justify it to yourselves on the[/q2]
    [q2]> > grounds that everyone does it - or is a mug for not doing it).[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Stuart Williams[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> What does it matter. Cheating takes place in mnay exam around the world,[/q1]
    in
    [q1]> some countries they get away with it but in some they do not.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    Because if you cheat you devalue the award you're getting. Eventually the degree (whatever) becomes
    known as one which you can get by cheating so it becomes worthless.

Second argument - people who cheat are tossers and become known as tossers..

John

Tom Salls <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> [email protected] .co.uk says...[/q1]
    [q2]> > If I find a stdent cheating I try my best to get them kicked off the[/q2]
    dgree.
    [q2]> > Usually I fail, but occasionally I get a result.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Which is also wonderfully Darwinian and leaves you with the people who understand the course and[/q1]
    [q1]> the cheaters who are bright enough not to get caught. <g>[/q1]
    Life is all about not getting caught. After all, would you like to work for a stupid thief? John

"JHP" <[email protected] t.co.uk> wrote in message
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Very Wise <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > "Stuart Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q2]
    [q2]> > news:[email protected]...[/q2]
    [q3]> > > In article <[email protected]>,[/q3]
    [q1]> [email protected][/q1]
    [q3]> > > says...[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > "Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > news:[email protected]...[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > > Just been watching Eastenders during my revision (break). Would[/q3]
    you
    [q2]> > have[/q2]
    [q3]> > > > > used the exam paper, or would you have cheated like Sonia?[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > > It has been taking place for many years it is nothing new.[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > We have a number of Russian students. With a few exceptions, the males see nothing wrong in[/q3]
    [q3]> > > cheating, which is clearly culturally acceptable[/q3]
    [q1]> (in[/q1]
    [q3]> > > their terms). I suppose my instinctive revulsion against cheating[/q3]
    [q1]> derives[/q1]
    [q3]> > > from some notion that a society made up of people who think cheating[/q3]
    is
    [q3]> > > OK is one where there will be significantly more corruption, nepotism[/q3]
    [q1]> and[/q1]
    [q3]> > > acceptance of the inevitability of criminal activity spilling into everyday life (as in[/q3]
    [q3]> > > Russia), which of course radically increases the chances that everyday life will become more[/q3]
    [q3]> > > tainted. I can't help[/q3]
    [q1]> feeling[/q1]
    [q3]> > > therefore that every one of you who cheats is grievously undermining[/q3]
    the
    [q3]> > > social trust which enables this society to work effectively (and especially if you justify it[/q3]
    [q3]> > > to yourselves on the grounds that[/q3]
    everyone
    [q3]> > > does it - or is a mug for not doing it).[/q3]
    [q3]> > >[/q3]
    [q3]> > > Stuart Williams[/q3]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > What does it matter. Cheating takes place in mnay exam around the world,[/q2]
    [q1]> in[/q1]
    [q2]> > some countries they get away with it but in some they do not.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]> Because if you cheat you devalue the award you're getting. Eventually the degree (whatever)[/q1]
    [q1]> becomes known as one which you can get by cheating so it becomes worthless.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Second argument - people who cheat are tossers and become known as tossers..[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> John[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    Those who cheat think they are never found out. But do they not know that they have angels with them
    that record all their actiosn good and bad. Then on the RESSURECTION - AL QIYAMA - THE JUDGEMENT
    DAY. Everything they did, they will not be able to deny when they shall have to answer to God.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.