Returning perfume to Boots Watch

Takeahnase
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
After spending about 2 hours trying to pick out a fragrance, I finally decided on one. But, I've come home, smelt it again and now find it repulsive. I really, really would like to get a refund or even exchange it for something different, but how likely am I to be able to do this? It says on the Boots website that they'll give a refund provided the seal is unbroken, but has anyone had any success with getting some store credit or better still, a refund, if this isn't the case?

Sephirona
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Which perfume is it? And I don't think that they can take a used perfume. But you could still try.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Best thing you can do is take it in and ask. The worst they can do is say no.
Emmerald
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I work in Boots Most stores will let you exchange it but probably not refund it. It really depends on the mood of the manager you are dealing with though! We don't have any specific rules really! Just let the managers decide!
Coy Girl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They are really really unlikely to take it back if the seal is broken, unless there is something actually wrong with it.
SoapyDish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Emmerald)
I work in Boots Most stores will let you exchange it but probably not refund it. It really depends on the mood of the manager you are dealing with though! We don't have any specific rules really! Just let the managers decide!
Our store won't let you return it if you've broken the seal - that's what the testers are for. For all they know, you could have poisoned it or swapped it for water - obviously unlikely but there are some weird people out there. So yeah, it might be worth asking, but be prepared for them to say no. But don't be too upset yet, perfumes etc change on the skin, so it might not smell that good straight out of the bottle but it might be nice after a couple of hours
smellslikemarmite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They probably won't give you a refund, because they won't be able to resell the bottle if you've broken the seal. A company generally won't give you a refund if you try it and don't like it, the only exception I've ever come across is Avon.
Takeahnase
Rep:
?
Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I don't hold out much hope on them offering to refund me. Other places have usually returned my items even when the seal's been broken as I understand it's possible for them to just have it re-sealed, provided the item is still in perfect condition. Or I suppose returned items can sometimes be used as testers. With the issue of an item such as perfume being contaminated or used slightly though, I can see why they may refuse to take it back... even though it's just a case of me changing my mind. I'll give it a go though - even an offer to exchange it would make me very happy.

I'm so PMS-y at the moment and I spent such a long time in the shop that it just bugs me that I hate what I've got. Pantsy valentine's day.
(Original post by Sephirona)
Which perfume is it?
It's Echo by Davidoff. It's just not my (or his, I'm fairly sure..) cup of tea. My nose must have been so bewildered through testing so many different ones out in the shop that it failed me at the time. It's only now that I'm home that I realise I don't like this one at all. :eviltongue:
Nick_000
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I doubt they will refund it or return it. They won't be able to resell it so where would the benefit be for them? They would just waste it and thus lose money.

At my store (Tesco) we had someone try to take back a bottle of wine that a tiny bit of had been drunk. The customer said he didn't like it and he had a right to exchange it. He was really pompous.

Needless to say, after a few minutes of hysterical laughter, we politely declined his proposal and pointed him in the direction of an exit.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nick_000)
I doubt they will refund it or return it. They won't be able to resell it so where would the benefit be for them? They would just waste it and thus lose money.

At my store (Tesco) we had someone try to take back a bottle of wine that a tiny bit of had been drunk. The customer said he didn't like it and he had a right to exchange it. He was really pompous.

Needless to say, after a few minutes of hysterical laughter, we politely declined his proposal and pointed him in the direction of an exit.
If, however, he had mentioned it was corked, then he would be well within his rights for an exchange.
simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I worked at Boots Head Office in Customer Care and had to deal with this a lot.

They will not refund you if the product has been opened. It is also highly unlikely that you would get an exchange, Gift Card or Advantage Card Points.

Boots' return and refund policy is generally very customer friendly, apart from cosmetics, perfumes and pharmacy items.
Takeahnase
Rep:
?
I got my refund. I had used a little amount of clear adhesive to seal the cellophane back up again and said that I'd bought a fragrance I already have, but without them even seeing the box I was told I could either exchange it or get a refund. I got the impression they weren't too fussed about it really.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha nice one!
FunLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Takeahnase)
I got my refund. I had used a little amount of clear adhesive to seal the cellophane back up again and said that I'd bought a fragrance he already has, but without them even seeing the box I was told I could either exchange it or get a refund. I got the impression they weren't too fussed about it really.
You're one of the lucky ones
Sephirona
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nice one.
kellydmc
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello sorry if im chsnging subject of butting in but i see u work in boots i bought a item a couple days ago ive wanted for many months ! Opened it and it doesnt work for my hair type its a curler my hair just will not curl with.it. it is open but i have the packing still will thry let me exchange it as bought with vouchers so i no they wont refund me ! The item was 85 quid on sale from 119 so its to much money to have sit in the wardrobe that doesny work on my hair !!! Thank you for any advice u can give xx
Lilem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've got exactly the same issue my hair will not curl with the product! Really want my money back but it's over the 28days!
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've worked in Boots. And they probably won't allow a refund, although they may allow an exchange, a gift voucher or boots points.

It depends on the store/area manager though, both my store and area manager were nice and understood things like this. They'd allow it lmao.
Julieroberts
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've got a leaking bottle of chanel chance.. ..leaking from the squirt bit at the top. It's left a patch on what it's stood 9n. My son bought it for me for Xmas.. ..i have no receipt and binned the packaging....will I have any luck taking it back to boots?
Sattar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I bought poison perfume from boots for £59.50. When I got home and opened the bottle, there is no smell. I always use poison perfume and I know what the smell is. This is a fake perfume. What can I do now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (137)
17.68%
It's just nice to be back! (209)
26.97%
Not great so far... (278)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise