The Student Room Logo
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
This thread is closed

Bristol University Accommodation Info (please post all questions here!)

Scroll to see replies

I'm trying to decided between Durdham and University Hall.

Durdham sounds like it is a much nicer place to live (nicer rooms and kitchen) but I've heard it's not very sociable. Is it really that bad? Is University Hall much better?

Are there any pictures of the rooms for these two halls?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Hi. Are there any words limit on the personal statement to places like CHH and Goldney?
satriales
I'm trying to decided between Durdham and University Hall.

Durdham sounds like it is a much nicer place to live (nicer rooms and kitchen) but I've heard it's not very sociable. Is it really that bad? Is University Hall much better?

Are there any pictures of the rooms for these two halls?

I'd put Durdham down easily, simply because you can put uni as your 2nd choice and almost definately get it, where as Durdham needs to be your first choice if you stand any chance of getting it.
Reply 2163
medistorm
Hi. Are there any words limit on the personal statement to places like CHH and Goldney?

I just did the accomodation application , 1st Goldney , 2nd university halls. There was no personal statement to fill in . They had a load of interests with tick boxes so that they could match you with flat mates with similar interests. Thats all.
odin
I just did the accomodation application , 1st Goldney , 2nd university halls. There was no personal statement to fill in . They had a load of interests with tick boxes so that they could match you with flat mates with similar interests. Thats all.

That is such a shame, the personal statement's a really good idea IMO. Stupid political correctness.
Stupid political correctness indeed. The interests were... intriguing. It's a lot easier to bull**** when it comes to tickboxes, which it seems that people think they have to do to get into places like Goldney. But meh. Was a lot quicker to do that application than I thought! Terrified I've made the wrong choices now though... :confused:
Sounds fun. What sort of options were there?

You'd screw yourself slightly over by choosing interests that don't match yourself though ^^'
malleablegrace
Stupid political correctness indeed. The interests were... intriguing. It's a lot easier to bull**** when it comes to tickboxes, which it seems that people think they have to do to get into places like Goldney. But meh. Was a lot quicker to do that application than I thought! Terrified I've made the wrong choices now though... :confused:

What most anoyed me was "listening to contemporary music"
Wtf?!
That is so vague, about 99% enjoy listening to contemporary music! They should have put genres...

And I am sure if you put your interest as "cultures/different languages" they would lump you with the foreign students (I am not racist, I love asia (going to Japn this summer), but at my school at least... they seem to only want to be friends with other asians.
Sanity Panda
Sounds fun. What sort of options were there?

You'd screw yourself slightly over by choosing interests that don't match yourself though ^^'

I know. The only one that wasn't true for me was "drama", and that is because Manor is big on drama.
I did used to be in school plays... so meh, not really lieing.
stolenstars
What most anoyed me was "listening to contemporary music"
Wtf?!
That is so vague, about 99% enjoy listening to contemporary music! They should have put genres...

And I am sure if you put your interest as "cultures/different languages" they would lump you with the foreign students (I am not racist, I love asia (going to Japn this summer), but at my school at least... they seem to only want to be friends with other asians.

Exactly... not really a brilliant way of gauging peoples interests. I put different languages/ cultures because I am genuinely interested in that, but didn't think about the fact that they might be inclined to put you with international students :s-smilie: bum.
Reply 2170
is anyone aware of what the difference is between the economy single rooms at richmond terace and the standard single rooms? there's a substantial amount in price??
Reply 2171
no one's going to be able to give a fair comparision between all of those places as no one is going to have lived at all four. maybe you should, like, read through some of this thread?
just applied: 1. Goldney 2. Manor
Now let's just hope for the best!
Reply 2173
What do people make of Hillside/Woodside as a second choice? It looks nice. and I'm a pretty quiet guy, but is 29 people and over the suspension bridge too quiet?
There's other solutions obviously. But I'm just thinking it might be a little unwise to select an isolated place, if you are quiet, at least in the first year.
Reply 2175
Sanity Panda
There's other solutions obviously. But I'm just thinking it might be a little unwise to select an isolated place, if you are quiet, at least in the first year.

You're probably right; I went for Uni Hall as my second choice in the end.
Reply 2176
I just applied to Richmond Terrace and Hillside/ Woodside! :smile:
Rhys.
You're probably right; I went for Uni Hall as my second choice in the end.

Same. Even though it is ugly, I can't BARE the thought of not going into a hall (too shy).

That is another reason I didn't put Goldney then Manor, because I get the feeling that Manor may be more popular this year and then there will be no room for Goldney rejects :frown:

Well, on the plus Manor accomadation is nicer than Goldney (if you ignore the small beds) and it has a more sociable layout. I also like not having to share the bathroom with boys (I go to boarding school, and some of the tales I hear about the boys bathrooms are terrifying :eek:).
Plus... I thought it might have been a sign that the girl who gave our tour was from Manor, and that it was the only hall I got to look round. Her room was awesome!
Reply 2178
I know someone said this earlier, but it'd be a great help if you could distinguish between an economy ensuite and standard ensuite. There's £15 a week price difference, so is there a major difference? I can't decide between Richmond Terrace, Winkworth House and Woodland Court. Any help would be great!
xxx
Think I'm starting to regret my accommodation choices. BUGGER. I want to reorder it :frown: arghhhh

Latest