Report 17 years ago
Worth doing, or a waste of time?

Cheers.
Tom Salls
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[email protected] says...
[q1]> Worth doing, or a waste of time?[/q1]

Easiest A-level on the planet IMO, though I'm told many universities will not take it into
consideration.
Matt Hamer
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

Maybe worth doing if you can get entered for it without actually turnin up to most of the lessons. I
managed that at A/S level, and got an A and B in 2 modules, but an E in the 3rd and so got a D
overall [I think]. Whether you think its worth it is up to you!

Ahhh, hold on, if you're headin to uni, its likely they wont take G/S as a subject, so is prob a
waste of time; if you're goin into employment after your A levels though, maybe G/S could be a very
easy way to increase your job prospects.

Just my tuppence worth, there. -djmatt
Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:12:39 +0100, "Matt Hamer" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q2]>> Worth doing, or a waste of time?[/q2]

We need a damned faq on this by itself. Worth doing - loads.

[q1]>Maybe worth doing if you can get entered for it without actually turnin up to most of the lessons.[/q1]
[q1]>I managed that at A/S level, and got an A and B in 2 modules, but an E in the 3rd and so got a D[/q1]
[q1]>overall [I think]. Whether you think its worth it is up to you![/q1]

Yes, time is an issue. I wouldn't expect people to spend huge time on this, but I think lessons can
be useful. It's broadening role is crucially important. And it's, imo, one of the most interesting
things to do. If you read papers and keep up to date with issues and so on then you almost certainly
don't need to go to many lessons. If you don't then it will help you do those things so is extremely
worthwhile.

[q1]>Ahhh, hold on, if you're headin to uni, its likely they wont take G/S as a subject, so is prob a[/q1]
[q1]>waste of time;[/q1]

Im sorry, but time after time we've suggested that this is rubbish. Many departments at many unis do
include it in offers. Others adaprt offers if they see it. Others may end up making a decision if
you just miss your offer based on GS.

[q1]>if you're goin into employment after your A levels though, maybe G/S could be a very easy way to[/q1]
[q1]>increase your job prospects.[/q1]

Perhaps.

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
Jd
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
At my college we could do it without really turning up to any lessons (that wasn't a rule, it's just
nobody really cared if you turned up or not to the
G/S lessons) - it was mainly to make sure that you were doing 15 and a half hours of lessons a week,
therefore a full time student etc. Although those lessons I did turn up to were generally
interesting.

Anyway, so I got my only "A" at A-level (the rest were "B"s) just by turning up to the exam. It's
not worth doing any revision for it, but if you're the kind of person who reads a broadsheet now and
again, and can answer pretty simple questions then there's really no point in not doing it is there.

JD
Chris Howells
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
L wrote:

If you're reasonably intelligent and have a good general knowledge you can do virtually no work and
get a "free" AS/A-Level. Up to you

--
Cheers, Chris Howells -- [email protected], [email protected] Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk,
PGP key: http://chrishowells.co.uk/pgp.txt KDE: http://www.koffice.org, http://edu.kde.org,
http://usability.kde.org
Rob M
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> G/S lessons) - it was mainly to make sure that you were doing 15 and a[/q1]
half
[q1]> hours of lessons a week, therefore a full time student etc. Although[/q1]
those
[q1]> lessons I did turn up to were generally interesting.[/q1]

What do you mean by full time student? At school, i was the only student doing four A Levels, and
even i had only 13 hours or so of lessons per week. Just wondering?

Rob
Jd
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Rob M <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> What do you mean by full time student? At school, i was the only student doing four A Levels, and[/q1]
[q1]> even i had only 13 hours or so of lessons per[/q1]
week.
[q1]> Just wondering?[/q1]

Maybe it's changed, but we had to be doing a certain amount of work every week to be classed as a
full time student, although other than free prescriptions, I don't really recall what being a full
time student got that a part time one didn't. Anyway, after I did my "proper" A-levels and then went
on to do another one in a year I was only doing perhaps 8 hours of lessons a week, so I don't think
anyone actually cares if you do or do not do enough in practice. Also, it's possible that the figure
I gave (15 and a half hours) is wrong.

JD
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
waste of time.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Cheers. [/q1]
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > Worth doing, or a waste of time?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If you're reasonably intelligent and have a good general knowledge you can do virtually no work[/q1]
[q1]> and get a "free" AS/A-Level. Up to you [/q1]

If you're reasonably intelligent you will realise that GS is a waste of time.
Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:38:34 GMT, "Max Power" <[email protected] m> wrote:

[q2]>> > Worth doing, or a waste of time?[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> If you're reasonably intelligent and have a good general knowledge you can do virtually no work[/q2]
[q2]>> and get a "free" AS/A-Level. Up to you [/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>If you're reasonably intelligent you will realise that GS is a waste of time.[/q1]

Justify your opinion - if you dare try. There's no point simply writing two articles saying
something which others clearly disagree with without any attempt at justification.

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> >> > Worth doing, or a waste of time?[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> If you're reasonably intelligent and have a good general knowledge you[/q2]
can
[q2]> >> do virtually no work and get a "free" AS/A-Level. Up to you [/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >If you're reasonably intelligent you will realise that GS is a waste of time.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Justify your opinion - if you dare try. There's no point simply writing two articles saying[/q1]
[q1]> something which others clearly disagree with without any attempt at justification.[/q1]

most decent universities don't accept it as part of an offer, and neither do employers, hence
waste of time.
Chris Share
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:46:40 GMTs, Max Power(maxpower1234 @nospambigfoot.com) said...
[q2]>> >> > Worth doing, or a waste of time?[/q2]
[q2]>> >>[/q2]
[q2]>> >> If you're reasonably intelligent and have a good general knowledge you[/q2]
[q1]>can[/q1]
[q2]>> >> do virtually no work and get a "free" AS/A-Level. Up to you [/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >If you're reasonably intelligent you will realise that GS is a waste of time.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Justify your opinion - if you dare try. There's no point simply writing two articles saying[/q2]
[q2]>> something which others clearly disagree with without any attempt at justification.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>most decent universities don't accept it as part of an offer, and neither do employers, hence[/q1]
[q1]>waste of time.[/q1]

But ATs have said that while it's not included in the offer, it may still help you get the offer in
the first place. At least it shows a little more breadth than the boring old maths, physics and
chemistry. And from what we were told at school some people do get in if they've missed their offer
but did very well in GS.

chris
Gaurav Sharma
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Max Power" <[email protected] m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q3]> > >> > Worth doing, or a waste of time?[/q3]
[q3]> > >>[/q3]
[q3]> > >> If you're reasonably intelligent and have a good general knowledge[/q3]
you
[q1]> can[/q1]
[q3]> > >> do virtually no work and get a "free" AS/A-Level. Up to you [/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >If you're reasonably intelligent you will realise that GS is a waste of time.[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Justify your opinion - if you dare try. There's no point simply writing two articles saying[/q2]
[q2]> > something which others clearly disagree with without any attempt at justification.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> most decent universities don't accept it as part of an offer, and neither do employers, hence[/q1]
[q1]> waste of time.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Most decent universities don't accept your newsgroup posts as part of an offer, and neither do
employers, hence it is a waste of time. Do you see?

G.Sharma.
Jess
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"JD" <[email protected] .org.xyz> wrote in message
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Rob M <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > What do you mean by full time student? At school, i was the only student doing four A Levels,[/q2]
[q2]> > and even i had only 13 hours or so of lessons per[/q2]
[q1]> week.[/q1]
[q2]> > Just wondering?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Maybe it's changed, but we had to be doing a certain amount of work every week to be classed as a[/q1]
[q1]> full time student, although other than free prescriptions, I don't really recall what being a full[/q1]
[q1]> time student got[/q1]
that
[q1]> a part time one didn't. Anyway, after I did my "proper" A-levels and then went on to do another[/q1]
[q1]> one in a year I was only doing perhaps 8 hours of lessons a week, so I don't think anyone[/q1]
[q1]> actually cares if you do or do not do enough in practice. Also, it's possible that the figure I[/q1]
[q1]> gave (15 and[/q1]
a
[q1]> half hours) is wrong.[/q1]

In my college if you do less than 12 hours a week you have to pay for your course(s).
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > most decent universities don't accept it as part of an offer, and neither do employers, hence[/q2]
[q2]> > waste of time.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Most decent universities don't accept your newsgroup posts as part of an offer, and neither do[/q1]
[q1]> employers, hence it is a waste of time. Do you see?[/q1]

my newsgroup posts aren't a qualification that requires hours of work are they? hummm
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> But ATs have said that while it's not included in the offer, it may still help you get the offer[/q1]
[q1]> in the first place.[/q1]

wtf are ATs, are they some kind of spaccer college?

[q1]> At least it shows a little more breadth than the boring old maths, physics and chemistry.[/q1]

maybe if I start wearing women's clothes in public that would also show more breadth, where do we
draw the line, I ask you?

[q1]> And from what we were told at school some people do get in if they've missed their offer but did[/q1]
[q1]> very well in GS.[/q1]

lies, they would probably have got in anyway, GS was most like irrelevant.
Niall Saville
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:37:33 GMT, "Max Power" <[email protected] m> wrote:

[q1]>waste of time.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> Worth doing, or a waste of time?[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Cheers. [/q2]

You can't post properly, and you're wrong.

--
"You can't trust anyone!"
- "Try pseudo-trust. Like a compromise." sachi, 2001
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
no you can't post properly, and i'm right.

[q2]> >waste of time.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> Worth doing, or a waste of time?[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> Cheers. [/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> You can't post properly, and you're wrong.[/q1]
Jhp
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Max Power <[email protected] m> wrote in message
[q1]> no you can't post properly, and i'm right.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

No, on aua we post at the bottom. It would be really helpful if you did the same, no matter what you
do elsewhere. John
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.1%
No (603)
65.9%

Watched Threads