The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

TSR get together - 18th March

AliceBoreas sparked the idea on the Edinburgh Applicants Chat thread to have a get together between TSR members visiting the Open Day Wednesday 18th March and artorscience suggested we make a separate thread to make it easier to organize. So here I am :smile:.

18th March seems to be a popular Open Day date and since some people are travelling from far away and for different reasons wont be bringing company to the day, AliceBoreas came up with the idea to have some sort of get together to share impressions, experiences and commonly long for the day we all start at the wonderful University of Edinburgh.

Are you visiting Edinburgh/going to the Open Day the same date and would like to join? Post here.

New students going to the open day and/or get-together:

AliceBoreas
Nelien
electrogirl99
(maybe)
SomethingSomething (maybe)
kjc_us (maybe)
elisabethbridge (only Open Day)

Old-timers (already studying at Ed Uni) that might join the get-together:

artorscience
FTC199
michaela_banana
nearlyheadlessian
bruisepristine

Any ideas on time and place are welcomed.

Proposed time and location:

Time: 18:00
Meet up location: Birstol Square, in front of Teviot house.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oh goody!!! come on oldtimers, we need some cheap beer suggestions!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Add me to the list of those who'd like a get-together in the evening please!
AliceBoreas
come on oldtimers, we need some cheap beer suggestions!

Edinburgh's not a huge *cheap* beer place. We should be able to find you some averagely priced beer :p: (but put like that it doesn't sound too exciting).
Reply 4
artorscience?
Edinburgh's not a huge *cheap* beer place. We should be able to find you some averagely priced beer :p: (but put like that it doesn't sound too exciting).

haha yeah, sounds terribly pragmatic when you put it like that... i was going for more of a metaphor than an actual cheap beer place. any sort of beer will do just fine :biggrin:
Reply 5
artorscience?

Cheap is a relative word, if it's worth more than the money it costs then it's cheap :smile:. I'm sure we'll find a great "cheap" place with the guidance of some of the veterans :wink:.
Reply 6
well lets just say that if you had a snap fax then tonight you could get 3 free beers at oddfellows....but only between certain hours (typically 8-9, 10-11 and 12-1) because they want you to pay the rest of the time.

sadly this offer is only available tonight (and a VERY shifty guy came into the JMC to advertise it last week and give me a free snapfax)

EDIT: im a possibility for the 18th, so far i have nothing after 11:30 but that is always subject to change in medicine!
Sorry, I don't think I can come. It is my friends birthday that day and am going to hers for a few drinks after the open day.
Remind me closer to the time and I should be able to make it (I'm a KB person now too, so can offer that perspective). There are a host of very very dingy £1 a drink places but if you go there I'm not coming! How about the library bar? Can we get in there on an open day? Would be nice to see the union. Otherwise Native State is pretty central (or any of the forrest road/teviot place places).
FTC199
well lets just say that if you had a snap fax then tonight you could get 3 free beers at oddfellows....but only between certain hours (typically 8-9, 10-11 and 12-1) because they want you to pay the rest of the time.

sadly this offer is only available tonight (and a VERY shifty guy came into the JMC to advertise it last week and give me a free snapfax)

EDIT: im a possibility for the 18th, so far i have nothing after 11:30 but that is always subject to change in medicine!

Yes, we've been weighing up whether or not to go to Oddfellows tonight. On reflection we can't be bothered as there's too much good tv tonight and we've got drinks at home :smile:

I'm probably in for the 18th, I imagine artorscience? will make me come, so if she's going then so am I :smile:
The only problem with the library bar is that you have to have a student card to get in it at night, and each person can only sign in one guest as far as I know, so it depends on how many new people go in relation to actual students. If you go during the day it'll be fine though.

Although I'd say one of the EUSA places is probably best in terms of ID as you don't have to show it. I am assuming that everyone won't be 18 anyway, so it might be difficult to get a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds into certain pubs, as the cheaper ones always tend to ask for ID.
oxymoronic
The only problem with the library bar is that you have to have a student card to get in it at night, and each person can only sign in one guest as far as I know, so it depends on how many new people go in relation to actual students.

I thought each person could sign two in... either way it depends on the ratio of visitors to current students. And it still leads to the difficulty of having to meet outside (in the cold :tongue:)
Reply 12
oxymoronic
The only problem with the library bar is that you have to have a student card to get in it at night, and each person can only sign in one guest as far as I know, so it depends on how many new people go in relation to actual students. If you go during the day it'll be fine though.

whoops! i went with some friends from school before i turned 18 (only place we could get in) and there must have been about 5 non-ed students to 2 ed students :biggrin:

my friends all made a mess of signing in as well, one of them wrote his st andrews uni number where the ed uni student number is meant to go!
artorscience?
I thought each person could sign two in... either way it depends on the ratio of visitors to current students. And it still leads to the difficulty of having to meet outside (in the cold :tongue:)

Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno... I just always assumed it was one guest per person because when I went with my flatmate and her 3 friends from home they wouldn't let us in because there were only 2 Edinburgh students to 3 non students.

They might be more lenient because its an open day. You can just say you're showing new students around - which is true! And they wanted to see Teviot. They'll be students in September anyway.
Reply 14
The idea sounds good, sucks that my visiting day is the 25th
sjames06
The idea sounds good, sucks that my visiting day is the 25th

how far from edinburgh are you coming from?
Reply 16
AliceBoreas
how far from edinburgh are you coming from?

Takes me about 40 mins to get into central edinburgh
sjames06
Takes me about 40 mins to get into central edinburgh

lol well i was gonna ask you to join us anyways, but 40 min is generally too much to bother coming all the way down and then going home late
It's two visitors per student I believe and as for the cheap beer (don't know if it's bindun yet) but Tetley's is quite good at £1.70 a pint in Teviot...
why haven't they invited me to the open day yet? ): i got my offer over a month agooo!

Latest

Trending

Trending