Turn on thread page Beta

hi everyone,

I'm doing spanish at uni and i'm thinking about being a spanish teacher, however, i've just looked into doing the PGCE and it seems like i can't get onto the course without A-level or above French. To be honest i hate french and I don't particularly want to teach it.

My questions are...

1) Do you think its worth taking another year or 2 out to get up to the required standard in french so i can get onto a PGCE course
    2) how likely is it that i would end up teaching french and not the language i love.

I only found out today that i can't get onto the course without french and it pisses me off cos there is a shortage of language teachers and i feel that i could be good at it. now i'm just really disheartened.

ReputationRep:
    Well there are Spanish teachers out there so it's more than likely you will be teaching Spanish (diligence and talent permitting). As for French, it would be a means to an end, but you might suck at it if you don't enjoy it. I would do it knowing that when I'm done I'll be teaching Spanish, which is what I wanted to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Well there are Spanish teachers out there so it's more than likely you will be teaching Spanish (diligence and talent permitting). As for French, it would be a means to an end, but you might suck at it if you don't enjoy it. I would do it knowing that when I'm done I'll be teaching Spanish, which is what I wanted to do.
    ZJuwel, how did you change your avatar? it won't let me change mine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    ZJuwel, how did you change your avatar? it won't let me change mine!
    Woo-Hoo, success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Woo-Hoo, success.
    Dude make your own one! The standard ones are so boring!

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, there's something about the Umpa-Lumpa's.

Anyway, too tired now, I'll look into when I can be bothered....

ReputationRep:
    when i put in the URL to it, doesnt appear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    when i put in the URL to it, doesnt appear.
    Try saving it to your comp (resize if necessary when it's there) and upload.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be disheartened!!! Can you do another language apart from French? Many Uni's give you the chance to pick up a second language during your first and second years. So you'd have the chance to do another language in the 3 years you're at uni to get up to scratch on another language, before you get onto the PGCE. Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Don't be disheartened!!! Can you do another language apart from French? Many Uni's give you the chance to pick up a second language during your first and second years. So you'd have the chance to do another language in the 3 years you're at uni to get up to scratch on another language, before you get onto the PGCE. Just a thought...
    hiya that was me before, i'm already doing portugese freom scratch at joint honours so i don't have any open units. This means they won't let me take up another language at uni. Sadly, i've only found 1 place that seems to do just spanish but you need a first and realistically thats not going to happen.

I think they want everyone to have french cos its the main langauge in schools. I always knew my decision to do chem instead of french for a-level would come back to haunt me.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.