Watch
This discussion is closed.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
got an offer from reading for history and international relations today, which is good

hey..what uni was it from??
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
hey..what uni was it from??
Reading university lol

hey its my 400th post! *does a little jiggy dance*
claire1985
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I am doing A-levels in English Lit, History and Economics. I have an AS in Maths and certificated it because i couldn't stand another year of pure maths! xxx Claire xxx
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks for those various replies.
tommypip
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I do history at Southampton. A few people (including me) are gonna do a law conversion course once/if we graduate
CasperUK
Report 17 years ago
I love History, it's my favourite subject but parents wont let me carry it onto degree level which is a shame because i got an A* at GCSE and 247/300 at AS and this year at A2 is even easier than last year so I'm very hopeful for an A overall at A-level. People, History is probably the BEST subject in the world to study, i really advise you to do it, it opens up many gates in life, civil services, law, teaching, management, business, politics etc etc. Unfortunately i have strict parents so I am unable to carry it on but i really advise people who want to do it to do it as it is just brilliant.

Here is the basic formula.

Person/Event > Action > Effect.

Start with opening paragraph that dirtectly/or in some way links with the question.

Eg

German recovery 1933-1939

The Treaty of Versailles was widely acknowledged to be harsh on Germany. Psychologically, Militarily, Territorially and above all economically Germany was shattered. The German people called the Treaty and its clauses a breach of human rights and a 'dolschuss' (stab in the back). Many people, including the British, agreed with this and sympathised - but it wasn't up to them to help.

(then carry it on) - guaranteed C in A-level and depending on language, a B or even a A. Keep it simple, keep to the point, use examples and illustrate their effects and you will get a really good mark.

(sorry to ramble!!)
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by CasperUK)
I love History, it's my favourite subject but parents wont let me carry it onto degree level which is a shame because i got an A* at GCSE and 247/300 at AS and this year at A2 is even easier than last year so I'm very hopeful for an A overall at A-level. People, History is probably the BEST subject in the world to study, i really advise you to do it, it opens up many gates in life, civil services, law, teaching, management, business, politics etc etc. Unfortunately i have strict parents so I am unable to carry it on but i really advise people who want to do it to do it as it is just brilliant.

Start with opening paragraph that dirtectly/or in some way links with the question.

Eg

The Treaty of Versailles was widely acknowledged to be harsh on Germany. Psychologically, Militarily, Territorially and above all economically Germany was shattered. The German people called the Treaty and its clauses a breach of human rights and a 'dolschuss' (stab in the back). Many people, including the British, agreed with this and sympathised - but it wasn't up to them to help.

(then carry it on) - guaranteed C in A-level and depending on language, a B or even a A. Keep it simple, keep to the point, use examples and illustrate their effects and you will get a really good mark.

(sorry to ramble!!)
Erm, thanks for that-I think we know how to get good marks though
Perplexed
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Eg

(sorry to ramble!!)

Your parents won't allow you to continue it at degree level? Don't you get to make your own decisions about potentially life influencing choices?
CasperUK
Report 17 years ago
No they dont. Many people on here have it the same, i cant really think of anyone who WANTS to do Maths > Pure maths at AS/A. Parents are the driving factors behind a lot of asian students and other students too. My cousin didnt want to become a doctor - infact he loathed the idea but his mum and dad made him because it was what his cousins were doing and they seemed to be making £50k per year. Still..my cousin wanted to be a lawyer but his parents 'persuaded' him not to go down that path. He enjoys it now though but gets stressed at Uni because of all the work etc etc
kimstar
Report 17 years ago
I just got an unconditional offer from Glasgow Uni to do history!!

It's my first offer, so I'm excited. Heee!
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No they dont. Many people on here have it the same, i cant really think of anyone who WANTS to do Maths > Pure maths at AS/A. Parents are the driving factors behind a lot of asian students and other students too. My cousin didnt want to become a doctor - infact he loathed the idea but his mum and dad made him because it was what his cousins were doing and they seemed to be making £50k per year. Still..my cousin wanted to be a lawyer but his parents 'persuaded' him not to go down that path. He enjoys it now though but gets stressed at Uni because of all the work etc etc
that is horrible, i know they have your and your familys best intentions at heart but to influence such a pivotal part of your life and future career is distressing
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I got LSE for History-ABB. Yay!!!!!!!!!!
xxx
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I got into Manchester to do History and Politics; Ps if anyone is wondering standard offer for History in Manchester is AAB.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
I got LSE for History-ABB. Yay!!!!!!!!!!
xxx
Congrats xthup

*Crosses fingers*
La_la_la
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I've had an unconditional offer from Sheffield for History!! Yey!
Still waiting to hear from Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Bristol. Has any1 else heard from these yet?
peach_archers
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by La_la_la)
Still waiting to hear from Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Bristol. Has any1 else heard from these yet?
Helllooo,
I have also applied for history at:

Oxford,
Bristol,
LSE,
Warwick,
Birmingham
Reading

Bristol have told me to wait until spring for their decision and I have an offer of ABB from Birmingham.
Hope this helps,
Kat
Sire
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by peach_archers)
Helllooo,
I have also applied for history at:

Oxford,
Bristol,
LSE,
Warwick,
Birmingham
Reading

Bristol have told me to wait until spring for their decision and I have an offer of ABB from Birmingham.
Hope this helps,
Kat

good luck
nessie
Report 17 years ago
Yep, got an offer from manchester (AAB contrary to what the prospectus says)
La_la_la
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Congrats.
When did u hear? When did you send off ur UCAS? I'm well confused by Manchester as online in the prospectus it says AAB whereas when I got them to send me a prospectus after a mad panic (I'm applying post A Level with ABB - A in history) and found it said ABB/BBB.... so which is true?? Will just have to cross my fingers.
poohead
Report 17 years ago
Congrats.
When did u hear? When did you send off ur UCAS? I'm well confused by Manchester as online in the prospectus it says AAB whereas when I got them to send me a prospectus after a mad panic (I'm applying post A Level with ABB - A in history) and found it said ABB/BBB.... so which is true?? Will just have to cross my fingers.
i have applied this year for manchester for history and despite the prospectus i was asked to get AAB (i got four A's at AS). im ok, but what about other people who applied? should people with the grades in the prospectus not bother applying? i no offers differ from person to person, but its been the same for 3 of my friends. one got rejected despite having ABB.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (266)
51.85%
No (247)
48.15%

Watched Threads