Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering what courses are usually available in clearing or clearing extra because I'm not sure I really want to do the course or go to the uni's I've applied to. I applied to mostly one's in the north of england but I really want to go to the south now. I'm also not that confident I'll meet my offers (if I get any)

Is it usually just engineering/science courses that need filled up?
    Will there be many places left for Management or Economics?

There arent usually many places at any of the top unis available through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *boo*)
    I'm just wondering what courses are usually available in clearing or clearing extra because I'm not sure I really want to do the course or go to the uni's I've applied to. I applied to mostly one's in the north of england but I really want to go to the south now. I'm also not that confident I'll meet my offers (if I get any)

Is it usually just engineering/science courses that need filled up?
    Will there be many places left for Management or Economics?

Welll....

Engineering/Biology/Chem/Physics/Maths (the latter two if you're fortunate)...you'll have a great deal of choice.

With Management/Econ...well, that's the flip side of the coin. You could be forced into either making your choice based on the region i.e. north/south, or attempting to find a good university. That will have to be your decision, you will be extremely lucky to get both. Also, hugely popular Econ/Man. courses are long gone, ie. LSE/Warwick/UCL/Bristol/Notts, etc.

A few of the large redbrick universities may have something, i.e. Manchester/B'ham. At these universities, you may only have the choice of getting onto one of the dual honours, or at least will be restricted somewhat. However, on a positive, Lesta and Liverpool are most probably the only two 'traditonal' universities that are likely to have a fairly good range of options open to you. Other than that, the ex poly's will have literally all their courses available. Also, the 60's universities (massive exceptions being Warwick/York) will all have a fair bit of choice available.

To finish on a positive, the courses you are considering are very heavily oversubsribed, however naturally, they respond to excessive demand by raising the number of places available.

Hope this helps.
    J.S.

ReputationRep:
    what you can do is withdraw your application and reapply, but your fee will be lost, so you will have to pay £15 again. depends on how serious you are. i never done it, but it should be possible.

as in clearing you only choose from what are left overs...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.