The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Calling someone a Paki.. Racist???

My question:

Is it racist to call someone from pakistan a paki for short?

For example the media seem to get a huge thrill from prince harry casually calling someone "my little paki friend" and he was ordered to appologise publically and to go on an equality and diversity course.

While nobody seems to care much if someone called a british person a brit?

Me being british myself wouldn't mind much being called a brit for short but why is it so offensive saying the word paki?

Please post your comments.

~Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Context is key.
Reply 2
Literal translation of "Pakistan" from Farsi to English is "Land of the Pakis". But I guess it's the context that counts, really.

Although I think Paki might be free in Farsi, I don't know for sure.
Reply 3
The word Paki was created to insult a person from pakistan, even though anyone from an ethnic minority seems to be called a paki where I'm from :s:...ignorance more than racism
You can only use the word if you're paki.

I'ts like dropping the n bomb. If you're black its cool, otherwise gtfo.
a lot of words where formed more of ignorance then anything
Reply 6
ahh okay i understand now.. i thought it was just created as it was quicker to say.
"Paki" means pure/clean--but it depends how the word is said and in which way it is intended.
Reply 8
I use the word 'Paki' to refer to people from Pakistan. I'm not racist at all, I just don't see why it's any different from calling a person from Britain a 'Brit'.
These words have such huge taboos around them which need to be broken before we can truly move on from racism.

As long as words such as 'paki', and even '******', are taboo, racists will be able to take a single word and insult a whole nation, which is giving them a weapon.

(the word which was bleeped out, in a way reiterating my point- silly tsr- began with n- and ended with -er)
Reply 9
Twinkle06
I do wonder where you got your information from. Pakistan means 'land of the PAK' i.e. land of the PURE, not land of the pakis.

Anyhow, regarding the original question, calling someone a Brit and calling someone a Paki are in no way similar. Have you ever heard anyone insult someone by saying you f*cking Brit? Time and time again people come on here and claim that there's nothing wrong with calling someone a N*gger or a Paki yet both words were created as insults and cannot suddenly become acceptable to use in your everyday language.

its may have been created to be offensive, but what other abreviation of pakistani is there?
you cant use asian as that is a pretty big continent.
Yes it is. I had to tell my mates off the other week for using it in front of me. I was brought up not to use the word 'Paki' and it makes my blood boil to hear it coming from my friend's mouths. They are racist and are knowingly so, which I can't change, but they've all agreed to watch what they say in front of me because I don't agree with it.
Reply 11
..Depends on context entirely I'd say..
Reply 12
Depends on the context.
Reply 13
Twinkle06
I do wonder where you got your information from. Pakistan means 'land of the PAK' i.e. land of the PURE, not land of the pakis.

Yeah, I was corrected earlier. Sorry!

You can only use the word if you're paki.

I'ts like dropping the n bomb. If you're black its cool, otherwise gtfo.

I don't know, I never say "Sup PAKI??" to my mates.
Words can be so hurtful

Reply 15
jus don't do it
Because in the past it was used as a derogatory term, so it now has connotations of being racist.

I don't think anyone's ever been called "Brit" as an insult.

(And if you want an alternative try "south Asian", "Pakistani", or maybe even "person")
Reply 17
It's got history, it was used by the National Front/racists, the term 'Paki' was generalised to mean all Asians that arrived to the UK. People were abused on the streets verbally ie. Go home you Pakis. It hurt many people, I would not use it.
The word 'paki' has very negative connotations in British society.
Also, the way it is said to many people is intended to be hurtful and caustic.

It's simply that the term, at least in a western context, was borne out of resentment towards pakistani people.
If they're from Pakistan then no, i don't think it's racist...my Pakistani friends call themselves Pakis, but of course 'Pakistani' would be politer.

If you're not sure if someone is from Pakistan, don't call them Paki, it offends all the other south asians! If you're calling someone Paki because of the colour of their skin, that's definitely racist imo.

Latest

Trending

Trending