Rankings for Universities

Watch
This discussion is closed.
suiken86
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
hey am questioning u guys to the 'Rankings for Universities'

What do you all look for in Universities?

I got an offer from Bradford, Cardiff and Loughborough for BEng Civil Engineering so far, havent got a reply yet from Bath, Nottingham and Portsmouth.

Just wondering if u'd choose unis through better overall or better in the ranking for the course itself? Cardiff is no1 for civil engineering course but 25th overall, where Loughborough is 10th for civil eingineering and 12th overall !

Tell me what u guys think! THANKS +D
icesnow
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by suiken86)

I got an offer from Bradford, Cardiff and Loughborough for BEng Civil Engineering so far, havent got a reply yet from Bath, Nottingham and Portsmouth.

Just wondering if u'd choose unis through better overall or better in the ranking for the course itself? Cardiff is no1 for civil engineering course but 25th overall, where Loughborough is 10th for civil eingineering and 12th overall !

i think the fame of the uni is the most important, cos when you apply work in the future the employer must be more interested in if you come from famous university. so overall ranking probably more important. anyway, it is really depends on yourself. hope this advice can help u!!!
suiken86
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
hey thanks all +D i mite jus get an offer from uni of bath, which i am pretty happy wiv +DDD
longtin
Report 17 years ago

I have no idea where you read that Cardiff is numero uno for civil eng. As far as i'm concerned, it only was in 2001 or so..its really slipped now..to number 11 i believe (according to the guardian);

1.Southampton
2. Bristol
3. Nottingham
4. Surrey
5. Birmingham
6. Plymouth
7. Liverpool
8. Wales, Swansea
9. Sheffield
10. Imperial College
11. Cardiff

Overall, Nottingham has slipped to numero 13 but its till very good for the course. I should know. I graduated from there in Sept. Bath is very good well as well. As for portsmouth, its a great place to live (i've lived there for a while and i attended some lectures there) if you're quite a lazy student and like being spoon-fed info. Teaching is great there.

I think you should be looking at Southampton, Bath and Nottingham
vicky600
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think u shud choose a uni were u wud enjoy it the most and feel most comfy

vicky xx
amyitfc
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by icesnow)
i think the fame of the uni is the most important, cos when you apply work in the future the employer must be more interested in if you come from famous university. so overall ranking probably more important. anyway, it is really depends on yourself. hope this advice can help u!!!
Rep is important but theres no point in choosing a uni just on that if you dont like the place &department- uv got to live there for 3 years after all.choosing the best ranking uni would have been a waste of time if you drop out because you hate it!
saying that obv it is better for your future (jobwise)to go to one of the more prestigious unis, & most ppl have fun at uni wherever they end up.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tomhitchings)
I chose on the basis of reputation, prestige and ranking...

Some people would criticise that, but for many people these are very important (deciding) factors.
Im actually interested in this method of university selection. Would you say that the overall reputation and prestige was more important than the reputation for your individual subject?
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Bath, it's good for engineering and employers like it!
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Im actually interested in this method of university selection. Would you say that the overall reputation and prestige was more important than the reputation for your individual subject?
No, if you truly like your subject you'd go for the strong department, after all the employer should be aware of it' s reputation.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
No, if you truly like your subject you'd go for the strong department, after all the employer should be aware of it' s reputation.
They should but I can't see how (for Comp Sci) employers would know that Manchester is better than Nottingham. So when they see it on a CV or whatever, surely Nottingham would carry more weight?!? :confused:
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They should but I can't see how (for Comp Sci) employers would know that Manchester is better than Nottingham. So when they see it on a CV or whatever, surely Nottingham would carry more weight?!? :confused:
Meh. I thought manchester was better than nottingham. Is nottingham that good for sciences? I didn't think so.

No because if you go on to work in a job related to your degree your employer should be aware that manchester has a stronger department.
hornblower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I used this method as well.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
Meh. I thought manchester was better than nottingham. Is nottingham that good for sciences? I didn't think so.

No because if you go on to work in a job related to your degree your employer should be aware that manchester has a stronger department.
I'm still not convinced by the strong depatment being more important than the overall uni. I was of the opinion that Notts currently has a stronger reputation than Manchester (although merger will definitely see this change)!?!? :confused:
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Go wherever you'll be happy. The rankings'll all have changed by the time you graduate anyway.
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm still not convinced by the strong depatment being more important than the overall uni. I was of the opinion that Notts currently has a stronger reputation than Manchester (although merger will definitely see this change)!?!? :confused:
I just checked, seems there isn't a lot of difference between the two department's reputations. Manchester has got the higher A-Level points. I don't know what nottingham's reputation for science is... But I know Manchester's good at that sort of thing
suiken86
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
although reputation is important I think you have to base your choices mainly on the strength of the department then the overall reputation. I hav chosen in the end to make Bath my firm and Cardiff my insurance as Bath is highly ranked in civil engineering and overall where cardiff has the best department in the UK where overall lies 25th.

+ not only that but i love Bath, I love the city and the idea of a campus uni.

I dunt knoe, wut do u guys think? Do u agree ? :confused:
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
although reputation is important I think you have to base your choices mainly on the strength of the department then the overall reputation. I hav chosen in the end to make Bath my firm and Cardiff my insurance as Bath is highly ranked in civil engineering and overall where cardiff has the best department in the UK where overall lies 25th.

+ not only that but i love Bath, I love the city and the idea of a campus uni.

I dunt knoe, wut do u guys think? Do u agree ? :confused:
Yeah, bath is strong for engineering. My dad teaches civil enginering, he's always harping on about how great bath is
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I just checked, seems there isn't a lot of difference between the two department's reputations. Manchester has got the higher A-Level points. I don't know what nottingham's reputation for science is... But I know Manchester's good at that sort of thing
So in your opinion it doesn't really make all that much difference which I pick in this case?!?
bananaman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I looked for six courses I'd like to do in places I'd like to live. It's that simple.
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So in your opinion it doesn't really make all that much difference which I pick in this case?!?
Nah, i think manchester because the reserach there is still higher. I still think the department is more important. However if you're not going to be happy at Manchester then go for nottingham - it's not going to do you any harm.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (554)
50.41%
No (545)
49.59%

Watched Threads