The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by HEY_101
So in my AS level i got 80% UMs and in A2 i got 90% UMS.. ive secured an A* then?

Yes.
Reply 981
I'm confused :s-smilie: For Chemistry we were told in order to get an A* overall, we had to get above 90 in A2 modules, and above 80 in AS modules, but we only need 72 UMS to get an A at AS level :s-smilie:

so say you get an A for AS chemistry but below 80 UMS, and go on to do as well as you need at A level, can you not get an A* as you didnt get above 80 at AS level? I hope that made sense :')
Original post by Frankiej
I'm confused :s-smilie: For Chemistry we were told in order to get an A* overall, we had to get above 90 in A2 modules, and above 80 in AS modules, but we only need 72 UMS to get an A at AS level :s-smilie:

so say you get an A for AS chemistry but below 80 UMS, and go on to do as well as you need at A level, can you not get an A* as you didnt get above 80 at AS level? I hope that made sense :')

As long as you get at least 90% on your A2 modules, and for a 600 UMS A level, 480/600 you will net you an A* irrespective of whether you got an A at AS level.

The information in the OP is quite correct. Your AS UMS, in themselves, are irrelevant just as long as you get an A grade overall. You have been misinformed elsewhere.
Reply 984
t we only need 72 UMS to get an A at AS level :s-smilie:

You need to average 80% for an A at AS. If you only need to get 72UMS to get an A that is because it is for a single unit where the max mark is 90. (72 UMS in the whole AS would get you a U.)

The overall AS is out of 300, you need to get 240/300 to get an A at AS overall for Chemistry. For an A* at A level you need at least 270/300 from the A2 units (i.e. an average of at least 90%) and at least 480 (an average of at least 80%) from the whole A level.
Can someone explain how the A* in further maths is calculated?

I know maths A* requires 480/600 UMS and 180+ on C3 and C4 modules.

Does this apply to further maths? So 480/600 and 180+ on Fp2 and Fp3? Or are applied maths modules also taken into account?
Original post by Llewellyn

Does this apply to further maths? So 480/600 and 180+ on Fp2 and Fp3? Or are applied maths modules also taken into account?

This was answered at post 3 of this thread:

At least 80% average over all six modules and 90% average over your best three A2 modules.
Reply 987
Does anyone here know what mark out of 80 do you need for full UMS for Chem AS (edx)?

Can't seem to find the info anywhere.
Original post by oli_G
Does anyone here know what mark out of 80 do you need for full UMS for Chem AS (edx)?

Can't seem to find the info anywhere.

And you won't since it varies for every examination, year by year, and isn't known until after all the papers are marked.
Reply 989
Original post by Good bloke

And you won't since it varies for every examination, year by year, and isn't known until after all the papers are marked.

I know it varies but i'm just looking for a rough estimate. From what i've seen the amount for an A or B differs by only a few raw marks so surely the cutoff should also stay relatively constant? :s-smilie:
Reply 990

Not all of us are doing FP3. I'm not
This was answered at post 3 of this thread:

At least 80% average over all six modules and 90% average over your best three A2 modules.
What is classified as an A2 module? Can it be any module that makes up your f. maths A level (e.g. M1 or fp1) or does it have to be a distinctive A2 unit (such as M3, S3, Fp2, fp3)

Thanks the answer for baring with me on this :smile:
What is classified as an A2 module? Can it be any module that makes up your f. maths A level (e.g. M1 or fp1) or does it have to be a distinctive A2 unit (such as M3, S3, Fp2, fp3)

Thanks the answer for baring with me on this :smile:

They have to be distinctive A2 units, anything ending in 2 or more. Fp2, m4, s3, d2 etc. :smile:
Reply 993
I just looking for a bit of clarification. My Geography is out of 400 UMS, I think I got roughly about 194 UMS at AS, so how much UMS would I need at A2 to attain the A*?

Is it 360 UMS?

or is it still 90% at A2, so if one paper is worth 80 UMS and the other is worth 120 UMS. I'd have to get at least 90% of 80UMS and 90% of 120UMS respectively.

Sorry for the confusion:tongue:
Reply 994
Original post by d_aan
I just looking for a bit of clarification. My Geography is out of 400 UMS, I think I got roughly about 194 UMS at AS, so how much UMS would I need at A2 to attain the A*?

Is it 360 UMS?

or is it still 90% at A2, so if one paper is worth 80 UMS and the other is worth 120 UMS. I'd have to get at least 90% of 80UMS and 90% of 120UMS respectively.

Sorry for the confusion:tongue:

In Geography you need to get at least 320/400 in the whole A level (i.e. at A overall), and at least 180/200 in the A2 units (i.e. 90% on average over the A2 units). Since you got more than 70% in the AS all you need to worry about(!) is getting at least 90% in the A2.
Reply 995
Original post by Data
In Geography you need to get at least 320/400 in the whole A level (i.e. at A overall), and at least 180/200 in the A2 units (i.e. 90% on average over the A2 units). Since you got more than 70% in the AS all you need to worry about(!) is getting at least 90% in the A2.

Thanks for the help, so essentially I'd need 374 UMS overall to get an A*?

Although, for another subject I got 165/200 UMS at AS, so to get an A* for that subject i'd need 345 UMS? (90% of 200UMS available)
Reply 996
Original post by d_aan
Thanks for the help, so essentially I'd need 374 UMS overall to get an A*?

Yes.

Original post by d_aan
Although, for another subject I got 165/200 UMS at AS, so to get an A* for that subject i'd need 345 UMS? (90% of 200UMS available)

Yes.
Reply 997
I'm confused...I looked the grade boundaries for a past paper I did and it listed the a* grade as less than 90% (not UMS). Anyone got any ideas? :confused:
Original post by Guz2
I'm confused...I looked the grade boundaries for a past paper I did and it listed the a* grade as less than 90% (not UMS). Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

Two points:

(1) The A* grade doesn't apply to individual papers anyway and

(2) Grades are based on UMS, not raw marks. The raw marks needed for any given UMS score could vary up or down.
Reply 999
(1) Oh, I see. Why would they put an a* grade on the grade boundaries sheet?
(2) *facepalm* That makes prfect sense, I should've figured it out sooner. Thing is, would 59/90 (the a* grade for the module I was talking about) realistically be rounded up to over 90%?

Quick Reply

Latest