The Student Room Group

I need help about work experience near me!!

Hi,
I'm dreaming (Lol 'hoping' wasn't strong enough) to go to uni and study vet med sept 2006. I've got like 5 months to do more work experience, but can't get it!! I've done basic - stables, vets surgery etc. About 8 weeks, but I need more. I live in Essex, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone knows of anybody or anything in my area let me know. I will be so so so grateful!!!
Thanks,
Leigh xx :redface:
Reply 1
gonnabavet
Hi,
I'm dreaming (Lol 'hoping' wasn't strong enough) to go to uni and study vet med sept 2006. I've got like 5 months to do more work experience, but can't get it!! I've done basic - stables, vets surgery etc. About 8 weeks, but I need more. I live in Essex, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone knows of anybody or anything in my area let me know. I will be so so so grateful!!!
Thanks,
Leigh xx :redface:

my sister spoke to our vet and they let her volunteer on saturdays for a bit... try badgering them till they agree
I know,
Vet surgeries are cool, and obviously they're great experience.... But I need something else. Labs? Farms? Dog groomers? Kennels? Catteries?
Please someone help!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:
Reply 3
gonnabavet
I know,
Vet surgeries are cool, and obviously they're great experience.... But I need something else. Labs? Farms? Dog groomers? Kennels? Catteries?
Please someone help!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:

abbatoirs?
Yep, to be honest anything will help. I mean I won't like it, but I'm a veggie so it's not gonna change my mind about anything like that, and if it was an abbatoir where they do it the proper, legal way... I could handle it.
U know one???? :confused:
Just ring up some local farmers - offer to work for nothing- since it is virtually lambing time there is plently of work arround. living on a farm in yorkshire we have had quite a few ppl up to help us. also we have ppl who come up every week therefore its really easy. and if u get a nice famer like my dad he will write an additional reference.
Reply 6
gonnabavet
Yep, to be honest anything will help. I mean I won't like it, but I'm a veggie so it's not gonna change my mind about anything like that, and if it was an abbatoir where they do it the proper, legal way... I could handle it.
U know one???? :confused:

nope, i spend my days up to my elbows in intestines and the nasty stuff that comes out of them so i'm not really up to lookin for that kind of stuff in my spare time as well, try the yellow pages
Reply 7
specialhelen
Just ring up some local farmers - offer to work for nothing- since it is virtually lambing time there is plently of work arround. living on a farm in yorkshire we have had quite a few ppl up to help us. also we have ppl who come up every week therefore its really easy. and if u get a nice famer like my dad he will write an additional reference.

good point, lambing season's a bitch, i'm glad i'll be 200 miles from home this year. he he he!
Ah, you see I don't have 'local farmers'! I'm on the edge of London.... too citified for cows etc!
Where do you live?
Reply 9
gonnabavet
Ah, you see I don't have 'local farmers'! I'm on the edge of London.... too citified for cows etc!
Where do you live?

central london, but i'm from the yorks/lancs border
Reply 10
gonnabavet
Where do you live?

I live on the edge of London (South - london borough) and I managed to find a really cool dairy farm!!! Its like 30 min car journey - but you need at least 2 weeks at commercial farm for vetmed.

I found my farm on the internet. Email people, they recommended a farm to me and it rocked!!! ie search for commercial farms- I also rang up any farms in the area!!

If living in london is a problem, some farms offer for you to stay at the farm during the week (mine offered that) which would be even more benficial, as you would really experience life on a farm!!

You really need to write off asap, emailing is quicker, or phone!!! Just search for farms, or as someone said above yellow pages - be quick though!!

Also, wildlife hospitals are different and really fun!!
Hi Leigh!
I'm from Essex and now I'm at Glasgow vet school, so hopefully I can be of some help!

I worked for two weeks on Writtle Agricultural College on their pig unit. It's just outside Chelmsford and if you don't live within easy travelling distance, they should let you stay in their accommodation. If you are interested I'll PM you the details. It was really worthwhile doing, they teach you loads and it came up in all my interviews I think. (I'm going back there this summer for my EMS).

I also spent a day with a vet from DEFRA in Chelmsford. I got to go with him on a welfare visit to an open farm. It was really interesting to see a different side to the job and looked vvvv good on my personal statement. Through him I also got to visit an abbatoir with someone he works with. I should have the number for them somewhere, I'll have a look for it if you are interested.

Kennels and Catteries are nice but farm work is liked much more. The dairy farm I went to was very small. So I'm looking for a larger one in Essex for my EMS, though I think I may have found one suitable now. But your best bet is to grab the yellow pages and sift through the farms and then give people a call. Or even better do you have relatives in more rural areas??!! Then you could always stay with them whilst you work on a local farm! If you are really wanting to work at a kennels and cattery, I went to one in Colchester, but there are loads everywhere - there will definately be one in your area!

Lambing is a definate must. It's fabulous experience and is a common topic in interviews and is easy to talk about when you've had first hand work at it. I actually went to a farm in Scotland whilst my family were on holiday, though their are sheep farms in Essex/Suffolk. Again look in the yellow pages etc - though they might have lambed already - their lambing time is much earlier than the north. However you could travel further north and stay on a farm - farmers are often very nice about that!

Don't bother with dog grooming.

Hope this has helped. Definately ring over writing to these places too - should get a quicker response!

Good luck, get as much work with large animals as possible - it's what vet schools love, it shows you're not all about puppies and kittens :wink:
Reply 12
Abattoir is definitely a good thing. Its different and came up at all my interviews. Its also surprising how much you actually pick up from it.
Dairy farming is also necessary, try to aim for at least two weeks there. You also might want to get in some other farm experience. I went to a rare breeds farm for a few weekends.
Anything which is different and makes you stand out from the other applicants is a good thing.
I say this every time someone asks this question but do remember work experience might help you get a place but vast amounts of it are not necessary. It is much more important that you concentrate on your a-levels at the same time. I was told by so many people that I wouldn't get a place due to lack of work experience and yet I have two offers so far.

Good luck, and where are you thinking of applying? Is Nottingham going to be ready for 2006 entry?
Reply 13
Heya
Im first year at Edinburgh. I dont know if i can be of any help (you can always pm me if you want) but here is a rough outline of my work experience:
2 weeks working farm park open to public,
1week beef farm
2 weeks Blue Cross Small animal hospital
7 weeks mixed vet practice
day at pig farm
worked in a stables from age of 13-uni
been on sheep farm/lambing from tiny until age of 13

However getting into vetschool isnt just about work experience and academcs. The applications panel also look for a well rounded person wh can fit in hobbies etc as well as doing everything else . For example i was a guide leader, head of house at school, horserode weekly etc and also had certicicates in stuff like first aid etc.
Im not trying to tell yu all this to advertise my CV but just so you can see the sort of stuff you need to have on your application. ITs also crucial how you write your personal statement and f i was you i would try and get input from as many people as possible, not just from school. I had a very helpful final year vet help with mine!
Anyway good luck and if you want to know anything feel free to ask me.
Reply 14
If you want something different try the Meat Hygine Service - they usually give work experience, and it moght look a bit 'special' on your form...
THANK YOU!!!!
you are all so nice for helping me!
Thank you Arwen for the links!
You're all great!
Leigh x

Latest