The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

go to the hospital
shopalotgrrl
400mg of ibruprofen every 4 hours. and keep moving your head about gently turning it from side to side, up and down, round and round etc. keep doing them every hour for the next few days and it will hopefully get better. :smile:

edited - dosage thought to be a liiitle high

Noooooo
You want 400mg 3 times a day.
no more.
shopalotgrrl
that's what the hospital told me when I had whiplash but I admit I'm not an expert. ibruprofen is good cos it's anti-inflammatory.

as anti-inflammants go though it is actually quite pants. its only really used because it has few side effects. I know you are trying to help, but please don't give dosage recommendations in the future. Its dangerous if you don't know the full history, or enough about the drugs.

And to the original poster, take 400mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day (preferably after eating)
DON'T wear a collar. THe claims company love to take a pic of you ina collar, but you need to keep your neck moving. Here are some exercises to try

Stand against a door or a wall with your head facing forward and move your eyes so you look towards the two, four, eight, and 10 o'clock positions. Repeat this a few times. This eye movement causes a slight movement in some deep muscles in the back of the head.

-Bend the back of the head carefully forward as if taking a bow. Return to the starting position with your head straight and facing forward.
-Draw the chin in towards your neck and bend the head carefully forward. Return to the starting position.
-Bend the head backwards far enough to look at the ceiling. Return to the starting position.
-Tilt the head sideways, so the right ear is near the right shoulder. If possible try to maintain the glance at a fixed point at eye level. Return to the starting position.
--Repeat this action with the head tilted to the other side.
-Turn the head as if trying to look backwards over the shoulder, first to the left and then to the right. Imagine following a horizontal line on the wall at eye level.
Reply 23
you could try a codine mix with paracetamol (something like co-codomal, you can get it OTC), i found that quite good after i had big car crash last year which aggrevated an old back injury. go back to your doctors or hospital if you're still in pain, they will give you stronger painkillers than you can get OTC.

lou xxx
Reply 24
thank u all for ur help, i went to dundee hosp last night had an xray which revealed no hairline fracture, im struglin to eat today cos of the swellin xxx
lou p
you could try a codine mix with paracetamol (something like co-codomal, you can get it OTC), i found that quite good after i had big car crash last year which aggrevated an old back injury. go back to your doctors or hospital if you're still in pain, they will give you stronger painkillers than you can get OTC.

lou xxx

as it contains codeine, im pretty sure co-codamol needs a prescription
Reply 26
foolfarian

You can buy "paracodal" and "cocodamol" OTC - you can buy paracetamol and codeine. You can even buy aspirin and codeine OTC and paracetamol and dihydrocodeine (Paramol)

[J collis Brown's mixture is a bit dodgy as well]
Reply 27
foolfarian

I bought codiene and paracetamol OTC a few weeks ago
well you learn something new everyday dontcha
Reply 29
You can get it over the counter its the strongest non prescription painkiller or so the pharmacist told me when I got it the other week.

Latest

Trending

Trending