Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I had a very very poor start to French in my middle school and now i am finding it really difficult to catch up. Although my GCSE French coursework is an A grade, it is very unlikely that a will get anything higher then a D altogther. People keep telling me that i am going to find it hard to get into a good university or get a good job without language skills.

Would it be worth me going to college to do language evening classes(but not french) from the beginning? If so which language should i do?
    I have the choice of spanish/italian/german....which one if the easiest one?

ReputationRep:
    Please help me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeMonkey)
    Please help me!
    Languages are only important to certain careers (what career are you aiming for?)

I would say, put a bit of work into French and get at least a C at GCSE and you are fine. That is what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Languages are only important to certain careers (what career are you aiming for?)

I would say, put a bit of work into French and get at least a C at GCSE and you are fine. That is what I did.
    I was looking at a career in law or Economics. A Language would be an advantage for Economics..........

I have put alot of effort in to course work (Thats how i got an A - coursework =25% of grade)

Did any1 do AQA/NEAB French? How easy/heard was the speaking test. I know you have to do a presentation, but how is the role play? Do you no what topic the role play is going to be on before hand?

ReputationRep:
    Did any1 do AQA/NEAB French? How easy/heard was the speaking test. I know you have to do a presentation, but how is the role play? Do you no what topic the role play is going to be on before hand?
    Don't panic! I did AQA French and was hopeless (like you, i had a very poor start). I only just got a C in my mocks + cried in the oral. My coursework was by no means fantastic- i don't actually know what i got, but i don't think it was higher than a B (probably a C if i'm honest), but i worked so so hard for the proper exams in the summer + managed an A (i still don't quite know how). I went into my oral really calm, because i realised panicking wuld jus make it worse.
    the presentation is the easiest bit- all you have to do is learn it- my teacher made me read it to her + she taped me + corrected me. i could then listen to that tape to get my pronunciation perfect. that's the first thing you do in your oral + it gives you such a boost. i thought the role play was ok (even though i was pretty clueless), it's the actual conversation that's the hard bit- jus make sure you know all the possible questions your teacher will ask! sounds hard, but it's much easier than making up answers on the spot. you also have to remember to get every tense you know into the conversation- you can't get a C without using past/present/future- if you know any fancy ones (liek the subjective), it will really impress them. Seriously relax! the oral si achance to really show off + actually enjoyed mine.

hope this helps!

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do French at GCSE because it was boring back then so I couldn't do any languages at college except one. When I went to enrol for college, I chose my 4 AS choices and an intensive 2-year AS Italian course for complete beginngers. It's now my favourite subject and intensifies my love for languages even more! I got an A in my GCSE last year and hope to do well this year as well. I'm currently predicted B/C for AS Italian but my college always starts off with the average grade and then gradually ups it, providing you do well.

And yea, IMO, Italian is so much easier than French. Most of it's words are similar. I also think that it's much easier learning a new language at college than when you are just starting secondary school.

I could have also had the chance to do GCSE Chinese after spending like 8 years at Sunday school but I finished a year since I wasn't learning anything and it was basically a waste of money!

Hello! I had a very very poor start to French in my middle school and now i am finding it really difficult to catch up. Although my GCSE French coursework is an A grade, it is very unlikely that a will get anything higher then a D altogther. People keep telling me that i am going to find it hard to get into a good university or get a good job without language skills.

Would it be worth me going to college to do language evening classes(but not french) from the beginning? If so which language should i do?
    It is widely accepted that Spanish is the easiest language to learn

ReputationRep:

french is the easiest because about 2/3s of the words in english are words with english pronounciation but are french!

ReputationRep:

u haven't really got a problem if u'r c/wk is a grade A
    in my school, if u get C or above in u'r c/wk u don't have 2 do the written exam, which is the hardest one

If you can get the word order and tenses, then the actual words in german are easy. In french the damn logic doesnt exist. Spanish is easy but not as fun to swear in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    french is the easiest because about 2/3s of the words in english are words with english pronounciation but are french!
    Not quite.

i do french and spanish i prefer french and no more of it so i find that easier also i have all the tables for endings and tenses but i think spainsh is easier as a language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    u haven't really got a problem if u'r c/wk is a grade A
    in my school, if u get C or above in u'r c/wk u don't have 2 do the written exam, which is the hardest one
    I only have an A in my coursework becauseyou can use a dictionary + revision guide + my tutor is french and helps me (a lil 2 much maybe)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2003
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.