I'm 13- How to build bicep muscle?

Watch
InvoluntarySlacker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You're too young to start weights. Do push ups, chin ups and in time your biceps will build.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i was lifting weights at 14 and i have still grown fine..
Economic Historian 1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't bother. Being Chinese, you may be genetically predisposed to be a skinny as ****. Not racist, I'm Chinese too :ninja:
TommyWannabe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
Chinups and pullups are a compound movement, there is a hell of a lot of bicep involvement if you take a narrow/shoulder width grip, they're both great exercises for building arm size.
I stand corrected.

Although I presume you agree that there are better exercises to solely build the biceps? And that chin-ups and pull-ups are primarily lat exercises?
JamieSpedding
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Instincts_2012)
Hi, I'm 13 years old. I weigh 7.6 stones. My height is 5 ft 1. I can run 2000m within 8-9 minutes. I can't do one chin-up. I can hang on a chin-up pole for about 60 seconds. So now you can figure out roughly how my physical status is.

I just want to train on my biceps and get some fat of the area between my chest and waist (so basically the 6 pack area).

NOTE: I don't want anything that effects my growth rate. (I've heard that weight lifting stunts growth.)

1) So, How do I build my bicep muscle and gain a 6 pack effectively?

2) Also, any extra advice? .e.g.- drink energy drinks when about to do exercise... etc.

Thanks.- Rep for best post given.
Exercises using your own bodyweight are safest at your age rather than resistance equipment or weights. Stick to the suggested exercises above without weights etc until your at least 16.
Ubiquitous Resource
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you start trying to build muscle, you'll put on the muscle at the expense of height gain. Worth it? Not in my opinion.
I would recommend the biceps are the worst place to begin to train if you plan to anyway. The best way to build muscle without fat is playing physically intensive sports - rowing is a prime example, swimming or x-country to build your stamina. Don't try to pack on the muscle until you are 15+.
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
So I should just do sit-ups and push ups?
Westernnimbus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi, I'm 13 years old. I weigh 7.6 stones. My height is 5 ft 1. I can run 2000m within 8-9 minutes. I can't do one chin-up. I can hang on a chin-up pole for about 60 seconds. So now you can figure out roughly how my physical status is.

I just want to train on my biceps and get some fat of the area between my chest and waist (so basically the 6 pack area).

NOTE: I don't want anything that effects my growth rate. (I've heard that weight lifting stunts growth.)

1) So, How do I build my bicep muscle and gain a 6 pack effectively?

2) Also, any extra advice? .e.g.- drink energy drinks when about to do exercise... etc.

Thanks.- Rep for best post given.
I started weights when I was 13, now I'm 17 and 6'1 :curious: it doesnt effect your growth.

Just don't do anything that places vertical pressure on the spine (Overhead Press, Squat, Deadlift, etc) everything else is fine, doesn't matter how heavy you go.

I've read it stimulates growth (increases HGH and testosterone levels significantly, go figure).

And look at the NFL players, then start weights when they are 12-13, and they are still between 6'1 and 6'9
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by TommyWannabe)
I stand corrected.

Although I presume you agree that there are better exercises to solely build the biceps? And that chin-ups and pull-ups are primarily lat exercises?
With the chinup and the pullup you're activating more muscles so you can shift heavier weights, thereby putting your muscles under greater tension, thereby creating a greater potential for strength and muscle gains. Plus by doing pullups/chins he's going to build strength and muscle across his upper back, shoulders, arms, core, etc, it won't be just restricted to his biceps. Plus the more muscle he works, the greater hormonal response, the greater the muscle gains.

So, personally I'd say he'd be better off either way sticking to pullups and/or chins, more effective at building bicep and/or multi joint strength (which is why they're the main component of most if not all good workout programmes).

The guy who can perform 20 pullups is going to look far better than the guy who can curl 20kg.
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by paddy__power)
i was lifting weights at 14 and i have still grown fine..
Can you please tell me your height?
Westernnimbus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Joining a gym is best, but at your age I would recommend some dumbbells from argos, and start buying Men's Fitness Magazine for ideas and to develop knowledge and a passion.

Above all I would recommend a team sport because:
*Commited to training
*More motivation
*Meet new people
*Girls like it when you do sport
*Get alot fitter, and the fat will fall off
*Will give you more motivation to do weights (I'll be stronger on the pitch if i do weights)
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JamieSpedding)
Exercises using your own bodyweight are safest at your age rather than resistance equipment or weights. Stick to the suggested exercises above without weights etc until your at least 16.
Care to have any evidence to support any of what you've said?

BW exercises are safe? You can still injure yourself if you perform them incorrectly (just like free weights).

Lifting weights correctly (ie; with correct exercise technique and not going too heavy) has no negative side effects, in fact it can actually increase growth (of muscle and in height).
Westernnimbus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
With the chinup and the pullup you're activating more muscles so you can shift heavier weights, thereby putting your muscles under greater tension, thereby creating a greater potential for strength and muscle gains. Plus by doing pullups/chins he's going to build strength and muscle across his upper back, shoulders, arms, core, etc, it won't be just restricted to his biceps. Plus the more muscle he works, the greater hormonal response, the greater the muscle gains.

So, personally I'd say he'd be better off either way sticking to pullups and/or chins, more effective at building bicep and/or multi joint strength (which is why they're the main component of most if not all good workout programmes).

The guy who can perform 20 pullups is going to look far better than the guy who can curl 20kg.
I agree, I broke my pelvis so the only exercise I could do for 6 weeks was pull ups. I was 14 and my arms went HUGE. Shoulders get more developed, and back and arms especially
Cowtipper
Badges: 12
Report 12 years ago
Don't weight train yet; you're too young and risk stunting your growth.
Get outside, off the internet, and enjoy yourself; you're a teenager for god's sake.
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by joelio36)
Joining a gym is best, but at your age I would recommend some dumbbells from argos, and start buying Men's Fitness Magazine for ideas and to develop knowledge and a passion.
NO, don't, Menshealth, Mensfitness and the other fitness/muscle mags are full of outdated, poor, even wrong training advice. If you're looking for training advice don't waste your money on them, instead put it towards a decent book like Starting Strength, Infinite Intensity, Never Gymless, New Rules of Lifting, Practical Programming for Strength Training, etc.
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by joelio36)

Above all I would recommend a team sport because:
*Commited to training
*More motivation
*Meet new people
*Girls like it when you do sport
*Get alot fitter, and the fat will fall off
*Will give you more motivation to do weights (I'll be stronger on the pitch if i do weights)
I go to my school parkour club every tuesday after school for 2-3 hours- but that isn't helping me build my bicep or anything, it's just keeping me thin. The only thing that helps me in parkour is the warming up - you do about 50-100 press up's each, 30 suicides while crawling, going into the position of sitting on an invisible chair for 2 minutes.
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cowtipper)
Don't weight train yet; you're too young and risk stunting your growth.
Get outside, off the internet, and enjoy yourself; you're a teenager for god's sake.
Who said I don't go outside?
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I go to my school parkour club every tuesday after school for 2-3 hours- but that isn't helping me build my bicep or anything, it's just keeping me thin. The only thing that helps me in parkour is the warming up - you do about 50-100 press up's each, 30 suicides while crawling, going into the position of sitting on an invisible chair for 2 minutes.
...because you need to give your body what it needs to grow (ie; a decent diet with plenty of calories and plenty of protein) and the right stimulus (ie; a good workout regime like Starting Strength, big compounds training in the 1-12 rep region).
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can you please tell me your height?
6 foot 2 son.
Student#1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You are too young to build strong muscles..

Just do some cardio, and prepare your body for future work-ours , 15+ is a good time to start building your body, coz working out can reduce your normal body growth, such as your height.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads