Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Instincts_2012)
I'm turning 14 in April.

Any suggestions anyone????
Do not diet!
Sit ups are excellent for abs and ab curls are good too (as the name suggests :tongue: )

And a couple of push ups wouldn't hurt

Remember to have a balanced diet and drink lots of water and you'll be fine!
Good luck.
zeusthezealous
Report 12 years ago
Hey man, I would just like to give you some proper advice, not most of the crap that you have heard from this forum thread.

Firstly i agree with quite a bit of what ophqui said apart from when he said ur general fitness and strength is quite poor. It isn't! For a guy of 13, who is 5ft1" to be able to run 2000m in 8-9 minutes is actually fast. I wouldnt believe you if you told me that, world record time is about 5mins 26 seconds.

O yeah dont expect quick results, this process takes YEARS and YEARS, honestly, you might decide it isnt worth the effort.

Ok general information ;
Your 13 - 5ft1" - this means you will probably grow alot taller

Doing weights WILL NOT STUNT GROWTH there is simply no evidence that it will reduce you growth. Infact doing exercise actually promotes growth, weight training is exercise, so if you work out it will probably help you reach your maxium genetic height! Do not listen to ANYBODY ELSE.

One person suggest steriods. LOL. You can consider that person to be a complete idiot, don't even consider it, no way - they are probably way to expensive for you, and they WILL mess you up big time, especially at your age.

BASICALLY

Eat healthy, look i dont mean go around counting calories or anything, just eat a 'balanced diet' im sure you know what that is, if you eating from mc donalds every night you might get bigger muscles (though muscle grow will slow down) but you will get fat so noone will be able to see them).

Play sport - rugby, tennis, football, swimming whatever, just get active and make sure it is something you enjoy.

RELAX - this is majorally important, dont worry so much, im not going to go into technically detail but staying cool and calm actually helps you build muscle.

Consider why you want to get big muscles? At you age it will be very hard, people reach their maxium natural strenght around age 28, at 13 it will be hard for you to build alot of muscle.

If you can afford some weights go ahead and buy them but tbh i would wait until about the age of 16, like ophqui said, they are expensive about £1 a kilo, and you could substitute using your own body weight instead - kinda.

Basic principles - your muscles grow after you workout, not during the workout, so you need to give you muscles lots of rest after you workout. So if i was you age and i was serious i would only do weights every two to three days maxium.

Weight training - if you can get weights, you can use your household items to replace the metal. Like put a school bag on your back fill it with books and try to do some press ups! It is hard.

Generally you go 8-10 reps, i.e 10 pressups in a row or 10 barbell curls in a row etc. The slower you do the reps the harder they are, the more weight you do the harder it is.

You do 3 sets of these reps, i.e 10 pressups, then wait about 90 seconds, do another 10 pressups, wait 90 seconds and then 10 more pressups = 3 sets

When you can do 10 reps easily it is time to increase the resistance, so add more books to your schoolbag or whatever. Remember only do this training every two to three days maxium!!

Make sure you don't try to lift anything too heavy because if you get injuried all your progress will be lost.

Like i said, relax and seriously consider why you want to do this, you are young and you might injury yourself if you are doing the training wrong.

Personnally i would wait til around 16, then maybe start, but if your serious get a sport to play.

And you can't expect quick results, this process takes YEARS, sometimes it seems like all your hard work isn't doing anything, the reality is training with weights does TAKE AGES!

GOOD luck!
Instincts_2012
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by zeusthezealous)
Hey man, I would just like to give you some proper advice, not most of the crap that you have heard from this forum thread.

Firstly i agree with quite a bit of what ophqui said apart from when he said ur general fitness and strength is quite poor. It isn't! For a guy of 13, who is 5ft1" to be able to run 2000m in 8-9 minutes is actually fast. I wouldnt believe you if you told me that, world record time is about 5mins 26 seconds.

O yeah dont expect quick results, this process takes YEARS and YEARS, honestly, you might decide it isnt worth the effort.

Ok general information ;
Your 13 - 5ft1" - this means you will probably grow alot taller

Doing weights WILL NOT STUNT GROWTH there is simply no evidence that it will reduce you growth. Infact doing exercise actually promotes growth, weight training is exercise, so if you work out it will probably help you reach your maxium genetic height! Do not listen to ANYBODY ELSE.

One person suggest steriods. LOL. You can consider that person to be a complete idiot, don't even consider it, no way - they are probably way to expensive for you, and they WILL mess you up big time, especially at your age.

BASICALLY

Eat healthy, look i dont mean go around counting calories or anything, just eat a 'balanced diet' im sure you know what that is, if you eating from mc donalds every night you might get bigger muscles (though muscle grow will slow down) but you will get fat so noone will be able to see them).

Play sport - rugby, tennis, football, swimming whatever, just get active and make sure it is something you enjoy.

RELAX - this is majorally important, dont worry so much, im not going to go into technically detail but staying cool and calm actually helps you build muscle.

Consider why you want to get big muscles? At you age it will be very hard, people reach their maxium natural strenght around age 28, at 13 it will be hard for you to build alot of muscle.

If you can afford some weights go ahead and buy them but tbh i would wait until about the age of 16, like ophqui said, they are expensive about £1 a kilo, and you could substitute using your own body weight instead - kinda.

Basic principles - your muscles grow after you workout, not during the workout, so you need to give you muscles lots of rest after you workout. So if i was you age and i was serious i would only do weights every two to three days maxium.

Weight training - if you can get weights, you can use your household items to replace the metal. Like put a school bag on your back fill it with books and try to do some press ups! It is hard.

Generally you go 8-10 reps, i.e 10 pressups in a row or 10 barbell curls in a row etc. The slower you do the reps the harder they are, the more weight you do the harder it is.

You do 3 sets of these reps, i.e 10 pressups, then wait about 90 seconds, do another 10 pressups, wait 90 seconds and then 10 more pressups = 3 sets

When you can do 10 reps easily it is time to increase the resistance, so add more books to your schoolbag or whatever. Remember only do this training every two to three days maxium!!

Make sure you don't try to lift anything too heavy because if you get injuried all your progress will be lost.

Like i said, relax and seriously consider why you want to do this, you are young and you might injury yourself if you are doing the training wrong.

Personnally i would wait til around 16, then maybe start, but if your serious get a sport to play.

And you can't expect quick results, this process takes YEARS, sometimes it seems like all your hard work isn't doing anything, the reality is training with weights does TAKE AGES!

GOOD luck!
Thanks so much. This seems like the most reliable post I've gotten so far and I'll take your advice. Thanks. Congrats- You got a rep for your first post on TSR. - you now have 2 green stuff/squares.
zeusthezealous
Report 12 years ago
Cheers! I have used student room alot but never posted, first time
Rutter knows best!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
make your you drink plenty of milk before and after your bedtime story.
Instincts_2012
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Rutter knows best!)
make your you drink plenty of milk before and after your bedtime story.
Make sure you don't get negged
Rutter knows best!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Instincts_2012)
Make sure you don't get negged
i can't and btw santa isn't real.
WarmEye
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Visit a martial arts club. They will help you build muscle without excess weight.
ExNihilo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can build a bicep muscle by injecting synthol.

Or, you could get your mum to buy you a tub of protein so you could have a prot. shake as she reads you Baa Baa Black Sheep before you go to bed.
username156343
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Stay alive for another 4-5 years
Orgasm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
#1 - You're NOT too young to start weights. "Weightlifting stunts growth" is a myth, it's only possible if you use extremely bad form and damage your growth plates. But to even come close to that would be a mission.

#2 - Since you're still growing, you'll naturally get more muscular over the next few years so don't worry too much. A good place to start would be to do bodyweight exercises (Pullups, Pushups, Tricep dips, Reverse Crunches) and have more protein in your diet. This will work well for now, you don't need to worry about advanced weightlifting routines just yet....
Escapist
Report 11 years ago
Eat tuna.
Fixed04
Report 11 years ago
Alright so you're 13 and you want to improve yourself. Good job, most 13 year olds just do whatever the heck they wany and are immature ****, but if you're asking how to get more muscular then that's good.

There are first a few things to understand before you start though, building big biceps and getting a six pack are stupid goals. The body works as a unit, your "big biceps" will come as a result of hard work on other parts of the body such as chest and back. Your six pack will be visible when you have a nice foundation of muscle and low body fat.

You are 13 years old, eat healthily and eat a lot, the last thing you should be afraid of is becoming overweight. You should avoid the typical stuff that most young teenagers eat (eg. fast food, soda's and sweets). If anyone asks you why, then you already know that you're on a road to a better physique, and that they're on a road to a horrible physique. Encourage your parents to cook you good healthy food. Eat lots of meat, vegetables and fruit.

As for exercise. As many people have aleady suggested, joining a team sport would be ver beneficial. Otherwise, you may always take up martial arts or dancing, a lot of the exercises in these sports require the use of muscle.

Now for exercises and working out. I would not recommend you join a gym. You should still focus on building a foundation. To build a foundation, you're going to have to start off with bodyweight exercises.

Make a workout which is made up of bodyweight squats, pushups, crunches, burpees and star jumps and for now that should be good. Otherwise you could just do something like this (it's coming off of the top of my head)

Squats, 3x15
Star Jumps, 3x20
Burpees, 3x15
Pushups, 3x10
Planks, 3x30 seconds
crunches, 3x20

do this twice a week with at least two days rest between each workout and you'll gradually increase. If this becomes too easy, then make a harder variation of this, instead of doing a normal push up, do push ups extra slow when going down or explode your hands off the ground when pushing up. Instead of doing normal squats, do jumping squats, instead of doing normal burpees, do a burpee+a pushup. Add in chinups or pullups. etc etc. Get the point?

And a final point. Working out will not stunt your growth. Now you already seem to be quite a fit young boy, if you keep at it, then you'll be very fit and far ahead of most people by the time they're 16 when people actually normally start caring about their physiques and doing something about it (actually I take that back... a lot of guys just sit there and moan about how they aren't able to do anything about their weight problems for their entire lives...)
yoshifumu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by zeusthezealous)

This thread is a bit ridiculous tbh...

But this post... yerrrrrrrr

Ok firstly, he's right, weight training doesn't stunt growth. theres all these people going on about doing weights damges you and all that crap, but it doesn't. some other say it redirects your hormones and nutrients to muscle growth rather than bone growth, it doesnt. in fact when you weight lift you release growth hormone just due to weight lifting, and your supposed to be eating more, so as he said, if anything i'd say it promotes it. it'll also promote your body to form a stronger somatotype (yo'll hopefully become more mesomorphic) although thats largely genetic.

You do need to count calories. don't even try and kid yourself about this, you just do. not in a 'oh i want to eat so lttle and drop weight' kinda way, it's in an 'oh i need to eat 3500 kcal a day, i need to make sure i'm not eating too little' way.

Also the idea that you'll get muscles and fat is not the way to go. it's complete ********. it's painstakingly slow to go on a 'lean bulk', not gaining any fat, but gaining muscle. But if you gain muscle and fat, then burn of the fat a couple of months later, you'll find yourself building muscle much faster, and you'll drop fat fine too.

I don't know for sure, but i heard you reach peak weight wise fitness at around 35. and if you keep lifting beyond that it should be fine.

And i do NOT agree that because your 13 you'll get less resuts, if anything it'll be the opposite, or atleast within a year. if you've hit puberty, you have the most chaotic, but highest concentrations of testosterone in your body. use it to your advantage, people take steroids to get more testosterone, you have it naturally for the next few years of your life.

Weights went up in price, now 1.50-2£ a kilo. but i still recommend setting aside a good £200 to buy them and a bench, although at your age, you'd be lucky to have that much.

Yes your muscles are stimulated in workouts, but only grow inbetween workouts. however they stop growing after 48 hours, so you want to optimally be working out every other week, around 3 days a week, so we're talking like monday wednsday friday kinda thing.

Otherwise the workout is pretty crap...

If anything do something liek starting strength. join a gym and get an instructor teach you the motions or something. it's worth it. and at your age and newbie starting point, you'll gain muscle and strength faster than anyone else. if you really can't, then your looking at the bodyweight exercises, you're gunna have to live with the books in a bag idea, its crude but still. i can't recommend pushups, in any way, and they do NOT do your biceps. If you want to do bodyweight exercises, do pullups (for back and biceps), you'll have to train yourself up to it, but you'll get there eventually. and tricep dips, if you cant do a pullup, you probably can't do this either, same thing applies, build yourself up to it. and finally do jumpsquats. try a simple 4 sets of 6 reps, and wait 3 minutes in between.

Or just read a sticky, get all the science info. go on www.exrx.net to get more stuff, and research starting strength.

Oh and by the way. NEVER EVER only work your biceps. i've said this before, anyone with an eye, will notice you'll look like a complete ****, because you'll have massive biceps, but a ****** underdeveloped triceps. you'll have no chest, and you'll be as small as a mouse (as in not wide). In the extreme sid eof things, yourmuscle can become so more developed than triceps, that your arm will literally just naturally curl up, and you'll walk around with your arms tucked in, as your triceps would be too weak to deal.

Thats an extreme event though. moral is: work the whole body, even the legs, or look like a ****.

Edit: oh and final point to those who thinkh he's too young. you can theoretically put a child on weights at the age of 6. it's not recommended to build on the weights much, but you teach them the right techniques and motions and get them doing light lifting. gives them an AWESOME setup for the later years.

Some people attach ankle and wrist weights to crawling babies, but thats just too much i think.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
its a sad fact of life but at 13 years old you are VERY limited in your muscle building ability. even at 18 some people find it hard to build muscle. really you will notice worthy gains when you get to your 20's.
mrshivi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Same here I am also 13 and want muscles and abs
Unistudent77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This thread is almost 8 years old...

Read the FAQ which is stickied at the top of the fitness section.
Das Kapital
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mrshivi)
Do your SATs.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mrshivi)
Just eat and when you turn 14 like I did, you can then begin lifting weights gradually making your way up to 60kg bench at 14
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (184)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (538)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (406)
11.07%
Lack of purpose or motivation (506)
13.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (182)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (221)
6.03%
Loneliness (309)
8.43%
Financial worries (134)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (166)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.7%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (326)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (340)
9.27%

Watched Threads